Had their number...

ssx

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Was thinking of fighters who weren’t as good but just had the better fighters number... not talking about a fluke win. Someone who defeated the “better fighter” even in a rematch.

Vernon Forrest against Shane Mosley
Ricardo Mayorga against Vernon Forrest
Junior Jones against Marco Antonio Barrera
Evander Holyfield against Mike Tyson
Ken Norton against Muhammad Ali
Jermaine Taylor against Bernard Hopkins
Tony Bellew against David Haye

Paul Banke against Daniel Zaragoza.

Tarver with Roy Jones. (If you think Tarver should have won the first fight)

Sor rungvisia vs chocolatito. Dont profess to know the lighter weights well but remember losing $$ on pretty short odds on both fights. Thought Roman's footwork would be too much.

Fighting Harada was no bum, he was actually pretty good, but he got Jofre's number without achieving as much.

Norton and Ali.
Ali went 2-1 but Norton was right there for all three fights and its debatable he won 2 of them.

Bellew had the advantage of fighting an aged and inactive Haye. I suspect things would have been much different in 2010-11 when Haye was at his best (no toe excuses).

Maidana had Broner's number, maybe.

Taylor/Hopkins were as close as they come and Mike's 3 years in jail throw up an asterix.

Tarver with Roy Jones. (If you think Tarver should have won the first fight)
I thought that too but in retrospect, it might have been a case of growing old overnight. Tarver would have been a feast for Roy five years earlier, those tall, lanky guys with bumbling footwork and poor coordination were suckers for Roy.

Fighting Harada was no bum, he was actually pretty good, but he got Jofre's number without achieving as much.
don't know much about Jofre but wasn't he 37 or so at the time?

anyway,Hearns/Barkely. Barkley was not in the great class. I'll still never understand how Duran was so intimidated by tommy and not by the bigger looking barkely.

I thought that too but in retrospect, it might have been a case of growing old overnight. Tarver would have been a feast for Roy five years earlier, those tall, lanky guys with bumbling footwork and poor coordination were suckers for Roy.

Maybe a little of both. I am not a fan of Tarver, because I dislike him outside of the ring/on the mic, but I do feel he is a bit underrated. IMO, Tarver's legacy is really hurt by losing to Hopkins and Glen Johnson. I think his lanky style, while being quite well schooled was a factor to him beating RJJ. His jab jab - straight right combo is very good, and he can time it very well.

He was the top p4p US amateur at one point (1995), over Floyd and Fernando Vargas.

Margarito against Cotto

Again, for the 100th time, loaded gloves or not, a fresh Margarito would beat Cotto 9 x’s out of 10

Maybe a little of both. I am not a fan of Tarver, because I dislike him outside of the ring/on the mic, but I do feel he is a bit underrated. IMO, Tarver's legacy is really hurt by losing to Hopkins and Glen Johnson. I think his lanky style, while being quite well schooled was a factor to him beating RJJ. His jab jab - straight right combo is very good, and he can time it very well.

He was the top p4p US amateur at one point (1995), over Floyd and Fernando Vargas.
ya, i know but he certainly didn't achieve anything after the roy fight, anything close to what a great fighter should. Glen Johnson wasn't any great fighter, Hopkins was what? 40 by that time? It puzzled me how such a fighter beat roy for a long time but I finally figured that it was that Roy lost his legs, he thought his legs were taking him to places they weren't anymore, Tarver wouldn't have even been that close to roy a few years earlier. I still remember when Roy fought Clinton Woods and was looking fine but at one point, out of the blue he backed into the ropes and I thought "that's not a good sign". I believe he lost his legs and why not, he'd been doing roadwork since he was five, they say his knees were so shot in later years that he couldn't even run. So, a stationary boxer is vulnerable. Ali dealt with losing his legs by becomiong a warrior, Roy didn't have the chin to do that.

Haugen/Camacho
Haugen was a good fighter but not in macho's class on a talent basis but he got under his skin, pissed him off into losing points, called him gay. Fighters who don't have the big punch like macho and ali sometimes run into guys who fight the fights of thier lives because they aren't fearful at all. Neither gave Chavez much of a fight but based on how well haugen did against macho, it was tempting to think he might give Chavez problems, he was beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

JMM vs Pacquiao, to me Pac was the better fighter but JMM figured him out after all those meetings.

Back