Had my first MMA class today

In MT, angles are less used than mma or boxing because there are kicks to keep your opponent in place. You also have to check kicks as well. With the threat of takedowns, kicks aren't spammed. CK disagrees with your instructor. You can mix your jab with your teep. There is no problem with that. IN regards to your traditional MT stance, CK recommends you adapt your traditional MT stance by lowering your center of gravity.

Exactly. I was trying to explain that to my coach and he told me "this is the new age man!"

Exactly. I was trying to explain that to my coach and he told me "this is the new age man!"

Whilst both hold true, you should probably take in what your coach tells you. Helps you grow rather than remain in set ways. A teep effectively holds someone who is front on at bay, but if the dude is looking to box and moving outside the teep, he can deliver some brutal shots.
Best to take in everything and adapt what you like in the fight and in training. Whilst you may believe you are, "correct", your coach is trying to expand your set skills. If you can hold someone at bay, but slip out of a teep into your own knockout combo, why would you hold yourself from knowing this knowledge?

Whilst both hold true, you should probably take in what your coach tells you. Helps you grow rather than remain in set ways. A teep effectively holds someone who is front on at bay, but if the dude is looking to box and moving outside the teep, he can deliver some brutal shots.
Best to take in everything and adapt what you like in the fight and in training. Whilst you may believe you are, "correct", your coach is trying to expand your set skills. If you can hold someone at bay, but slip out of a teep into your own knockout combo, why would you hold yourself from knowing this knowledge?

I just finished the second class now, it was much better than the first one. And you are right, I just did everything he said and I felt faster/more athletic. I'm starting to like it tbh

What? It's true. Only people who have never trained against an mma fighter will disagree.
refreshing perspective, TheDarkEmperor
That's coming from an MMA fighter. Being able to mix grappling and striking changes the entire game.

A bjj blackbelt becomes a blue belt when he gets punched in the face, and a pro striker becomes a pro at flailing and tapping, when you double leg him to the floor and tie him in a knot.

I'm not arrogant enough to say MMA fighters would destroy everyone in their own sports, but in an mma or no-holds-barred setting, it would be pretty easy.

In a foot race, a pure runner would probable beat a triathlete, but in a biking/running/swimming triathlon, someone who is pretty good at all three, would beat the best runner in the world, if he doesn't know how to swim.

Same goes for a fight. Someone who can strike and grapple well, will beat a much better pure striker, by dragging him to the floor, and completely eliminating that advantage.

What? It's true. Only people who have never trained against an mma fighter will disagree.

That's coming from an MMA fighter. Being able to mix grappling and striking changes the entire game.

A bjj blackbelt becomes a blue belt when he gets punched in the face, and a pro striker becomes a pro at flailing and tapping, when you double leg him to the floor and tie him in a knot.

I'm not arrogant enough to say MMA fighters would destroy everyone in their own sports, but in an mma or no-holds-barred setting, it would be pretty easy.

In a foot race, a pure runner would probable beat a triathlete, but in a biking/running/swimming triathlon, someone who is pretty good at all three, would beat the best runner in the world, if he doesn't know how to swim.

Same goes for a fight. Someone who can strike and grapple well, will beat a much better pure striker, by dragging him to the floor, and completely eliminating that advantage.

The problem is that this is all a redundant argument. It's always situationally specific. If this mma guy was so good at grappling, and happened to run into a black belt, he'd be choked out in a couple of seconds. If he was a good grappler against a striker, then MAYBE, but a TOP LEVEL STRIKER, isn't an idiot. He knows how to back up, and in real life, there are no ropes or cages, you can back up as far as you want. It's all situational.

The problem is that this is all a redundant argument. It's always situationally specific. If this mma guy was so good at grappling, and happened to run into a black belt, he'd be choked out in a couple of seconds.
That's what I said. If an mma fighter grapples a pure grappler, he'll be at a disadvantage. However in a street fight, an mma fighter would destroy a bjj blackbelt who couldn't strike or wrestle very well.

If he was a good grappler against a striker, then MAYBE, but a TOP LEVEL STRIKER, isn't an idiot. He knows how to back up, and in real life, there are no ropes or cages, you can back up as far as you want. It's all situational.
You can back up all you want on the street, but there is no time limit to save you, so unless the striker intends on running away, a good mma fighter will most likely end up dumping him on his head and beating/choking him unconscious.

The reason for this "phenomenon" of an mma fighter losing in specialized matches but winning in a street/mma fight, is because it takes a lot to beat a pro at his own game, but much less to just negate his offense enough to mount your own. Submitting a bjj blackbelt who's been training all of his life is much harder than holding him down and defending subs, while punching him in the face, or forcing him to stand and strike, instead. Being a good mma fighter means being able to force your opponent to fight you where you are stronger.

Back