Had my first BJJ class tonight

anchorfree

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Well, it was actually an MMA club in my college but most of the guys were practicing bjj.

Anyways, I told the coach I was a newcomer and told me to hop on in and join the drills, so we were doing rolling drills and things like that.

After an hour of drills, stretches, and a couple of techniques we went over (omoplata, gogoplata, and omoplata escapes) we did a free roll.

A couple of guys were nice enough to show me the basic stuff like armbars and triangles. This big guy (probably about 240lb wrestler), asked me if I wanted to roll and I said sure. Man, never thought I could have so much fun getting my ass kicked:icon_chee. I actually took his back but couldn't get the hooks in, only body triangle. He ended up submitting me with a keylock and armbar from mount.

The next guy was a flabbier guy at around 250lbs. He said he had been in the class for about 3 months so he was still more advanced than me. But I actually caught him in an americana from side control. I escaped mount from him and he never submitted me, so I felt good, but fucking exhausted.

Are keylocks and kimuras frowned upon in class? I did only once and told the guy sorry if it's considered cheap or not, just wanted to see if I could pull it off.

Awesome class and I plan on going back! :D

Don't see why anyone would think a Kimura/Americana would be cheap. Probably the second and third most common arm-submissions, right behind an arm bar.

Sounds like you had a blast. It just gets better from here.

Don't see why anyone would think a Kimura/Americana would be cheap. Probably the second and third most common arm-submissions, right behind an arm bar.

Sounds like you had a blast. It just gets better from here.

Well I feel like the kimura or keylock requires more muscle than technique, especially if working with smaller guys. Although tonight, I rolled with 2 bigger guys than myself, I'm sitting at about 220lbs.

Oh yeah, def had a blast. Met a couple of guys who seemed really cool and I hope to roll again Thursday. Best part is that it's only $75 per semester.

If you feel that they're more muscle than technique, you don't have the technique down.

Don't worry, you'll learn it eventually. It's a matter of getting your body into the right position and using the right muscles, and then it'll be easier.

Best part is that it's only $75 per semester.

/jealous

If you feel that they're more muscle than technique, you don't have the technique down.

Don't worry, you'll learn it eventually. It's a matter of getting your body into the right position and using the right muscles, and then it'll be easier.

/jealous

Well I was in side control and noticed that his arm was practically begging for some kind of kimura or americana. Just grabbed his wrist and figure four'd mine and cranked.

Granted the class is only twice a week but $75 a semester is still good, especially since you can roll pretty much anytime the mats are open.

2nd time i went to bjj class i had my arm broken no joke lol

Cool, Kimuras and Americanas are all good stuff. Who runs the class and what do you do? 75$ is awesome.

Cool, Kimuras and Americanas are all good stuff. Who runs the class and what do you do? 75$ is awesome.

Well I think its this guy named Collin. He works at a gym where he teaches jiu jitsu as well, and I believe hes purple belt.

And what we did yesterday was the typical rolling drills and did some running circles on the mat. After that he showed us the omoplata and variations. For the last hour I got some help setting up basic arm bars, triangles, and then rolled twice.

Anyone who's tapped me with a keylock is a cheap bitch. That means you, everyone :icon_chee

Enjoy the little successes. I'm about 7 classes in, and winning a scramble last night against a 3 stripe white belt was the highlight of my day.

Enjoy the little successes. I'm about 7 classes in, and winning a scramble last night against a 3 stripe white belt was the highlight of my day.

Yeah definitely man. Although the guy I tapped wasn't in the best of shape but he was a hell of lot bigger than me :redface:

Back