Had my first BJJ class in five years

Wolf Tactics

White Belt
Reaction score
Some of you may remember my post about wanting to get back into BJJ after a bad injury, a lot of personal problems, and a LONG lay off.

Well, tonight was the night. As soon as I walked into the gym, I could smell that peculiar combination of sweat and mat material. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming, it felt like going back in time.

Then began the warm-up. I'm so pathetically out of shape that I could barely get through the shrimp drills and bear crawls. Just drilling the techniques was a struggle. My muscles just don't work like the once did. All the strength and flexibility I achieved is gone.

I rolled one round with a purple belt and I it was eye opening just how helpless I was. On the bottom and sucking wind with hardly enough strength to even try to defend. It was embarrassing.

On the way home, after I had to take my time just getting into my car, I was struck with the most unexpected feeling: I can't wait to do it again.

Way to go man! Keep it up :). Just remember to pace yourself and come back slow so you don't get hurt. Good luck.

Way to go man! Keep it up :). Just remember to pace yourself and come back slow so you don't get hurt. Good luck.

Thanks, buddy. Yeah, I'm definitely going to take it slow and my only goal right now is to get a little better each time.

Good job it just gets easier. Eat right. Do some cardio if you have time.

Do some solo drills at home to get your body used to the movements again. Be safe

Jeez. Props! I've been inactive for a month and feel that I'm out of the game. I can't imagine trying to return after several years.

I was just talking to one of my team mates about what it was like to have your first BJJ class or to come back from a long lay off. It's tough for everyone regardless of age or belt rank much respect to you keep it up.

Now that you're starting again, it's important to realize that the bjj game has changed a lot you last trained. No-one uses half guard anymore, it's all reverse half / back step now. Therefore everything you thought you knew about hg goes out the window and you should stop using it. Also, stop using reverse dlr, arm-in guillotines, and cut passes.

Now that you're starting again, it's important to realize that the bjj game has changed a lot you last trained. No-one uses half guard anymore, it's all reverse half / back step now. Therefore everything you thought you knew about hg goes out the window and you should stop using it. Also, stop using reverse dlr, arm-in guillotines, and cut passes.

Also everything effective involves inverting. So practice by doing everything upside down. Right now I'm sitting in my cubicle upside down. People looked at me weird at first but they got used to it.

Back