Had an Honest talk with my Instructor about my slump

This is very true. Keith can tell me I suck at something and I know it is because I really suck. And, the same is true if it is a positive. I know it's not just to make me feel good. That is what 5 years of see eachother 4 times aweek will do for you.

Haha. Yeah, my judo coach does this for me. Just last class he was telling me how my technique is really terrible with a throw I'm working on. Maybe it's just Chinese style (parenting is a lot like that here too, with unsolicited criticism). It's good. Lets you know where you're at and knocks you down a peg or two when you need it.

Haha. Yeah, my judo coach does this for me. Just last class he was telling me how my technique is really terrible with a throw I'm working on. Maybe it's just Chinese style (parenting is a lot like that here too, with unsolicited criticism). It's good. Lets you know where you're at and knocks you down a peg or two when you need it.

off topic, but damn thats a nice av, can we get the full size pic?

This is very true. Keith can tell me I suck at something and I know it is because I really suck. And, the same is true if it is a positive. I know it's not just to make me feel good. That is what 5 years of see eachother 4 times aweek will do for you.

Keith is so straightforward it's comical.

"Look, I don't wanna cause any trouble, but that was horse shit"

Actual quote lol

Hey Matt, did you train with Justin when he came to your school in the summer?

I liked the part about not making mistakes on purpose.I feel I have been doing this a lot lately to try and improve my sweeps and escapes from bottom and I can feel it is hurting me also. The other day I had another guy in a perfect setup for a triangle as he tried to get out of an armbar and I just let him go and went straight to reguarding and he asked "umm why did you not get that triangle" The only thing I could think of was "I don't know it was just kind of instinctual". A couple of months ago I would have locked it up and finished it right there.

Actual quote lol

I missed Justin both times because of work.

i was always taught you go 100% every time, regardless of belt level.

I'm in a similar boat and profession.
good thread - reinforced it to me
*stop letting guys into bad positions using vs starting in them so I can work out of it
*rep out the perfect rep in roll and drill

The bad habits I've developed are only made worse by noodling around and letting younger belts work. I've had vague suspicions about this- I'm glad you put it into words. I'm definitely in that same boat. There's a way to go easy and not make mistakes yourself.

Not at our school. Sometimes easier equals better technique

Yeah I've seen some videos of Keith Owen teaching and it seems like he really drills it into you guys to avoid "muscling" and work on your escapes a lot. Very much the Pedro Sauer style JJ philosophy. I like that style, because I started off learning a similar BJJ style, being under a Rickson lineage originally.

i was always taught you go 100% every time, regardless of belt level.

In a mismatch of skill, you'll find that technique and leverage will negate the need to go 100% for the better practitioner. To take the absurd example, a black vs white, do you think that the black is putting all his might into everything? How about the white? As you progress, you might find that your rolling gets slower, more deliberate, and more thought behind each move. In essence, it really does evolve into physical chess.

Actual quote lol

I can confirm that's a direct quote. Was told this by Keith on Saturday regarding my butterfly guard, haha

I liked the part about not making mistakes on purpose

Yeah I am kinda in the same boat, not because of skill but more based on just size. Maybe not preciosuly making a mistake but rather at least in my case not doing the right thing, And I paid for it in my last comp(even made a thread about it)

Back