Had an Honest talk with my Instructor about my slump

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by boisefireman, Oct 20, 2010.

1. boisefireman

boisefireman Blue Belt

I'm in a slump. Not that I am discouraged, I just know my jiu jitsu is not where it should be. Guy at the gym or making gains on me, which is great, but I seem to be at a stand still.
    So, I had a little talk with my instructor, and he gave me some good advice. I thought it may help others in a slump.
    He said now is the time to bring my basics up to a black belt level. What does that mean for me, a purple belt? It means reps and reps at perfect form. Armbar, chokes, omoplata and triangle need to be perfect everytime. Rolling with anyone. I also said the fun moves like funky wrapping gi chokes, x guard and such are great to know and fun, but the bulk of the work needs to be back at the basics doing perfect reps.
    He also said that I need to quit making mistakes on purpose when I roll with white and newer blue belts. What does that mean? I want to work on back mount escape so I will give guys my back on purpose to do that. Well, turning my back even on purpose makes bad habits. When I go against good guys in class or tournemants, I will revert back to muscle memory and make stupid mistakes. I saw that at my last tourney. My hands and arms where way out of place. He wants me to start in the bad postition and start rolling from there, or stop and ask guys to mount and work out of it, not let guys mount on purpose to work the escape.
    Th last thing he said really rang true. He said I was very dedicated to the whole art of jiu jitsu, but not dedicated fully to the work at the technique level I need to have. My son and I don't see each other as much, and sometimes we can do the move we are working on once or twice, then talk a bit or expand on the basic move to much into something we are not working on.
    It was the kick in the butt that we all need from time to time. I think I nice to have an instructor that can be a good enough friend to be honest and really care.
    I feel like I have had new fire stoked inside of me for Jiu Jitsu. The best thing will have a nearly unstoppable armbar someday. Let you know how it goes.

Though others out there might have the same problems.

2. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Oh, to be in your slump.

At the same time, I'm sort of in the same boat. Perfection rather than accumulation, it's something I've heard as well.

3. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

didn't you just win like 3 golds at the NWSC 3 weeks ago?

:)

4. Wandgun

Wandgun Orange Belt

That's what I was thinking.

5. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

That sounds like really good advice.

My own instructor is constantly reminding us all about the same points as well -- the importance of drilling and the importance of not getting into bad habits while rolling.

6. Varth

Varth Green Belt

Oh you and Roger you're both so slumpy.

Anyway I know what you mean. That Bruce Lee quote comes to mind where the man who practiced a kick a thousand times is the one to be feared. The ones who know the basics best are the ones who are dominating in todays world. Rogers legacy was built on basics and he's still the puzzle of the BJJ world. It may sound boring at time but keep at it and one day you'll notice the difference.

7. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

Personally I've kinda treated the purple belt as a liscense to be a little more selfish on the mat. I still give a lot of space to guys sometimes, but I don't feel bad going a bit harder against good guys.

8. akharon

akharon Blue Belt

Yeah, that was three weeks ago. How many has he won THIS week?

9. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

btw, Boise, would love to come by your gym sometime.

I'm getting plenty of nogi practice, but CF doesn't do anything with the gi...

10. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

...and submit a 350-pound black belt in the process?

Your problems are relatively good problems to have, boise.

Good post though, it gives me some food for thought on my own game.

11. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

Personally I've kinda treated the purple belt as a liscense to be a little more selfish on the mat. I still give a lot of space to guys sometimes, but I don't feel bad going a bit harder against good guys.

12. Quixand

Quixand Orange Belt

*removed*

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  13. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Great post. As a purple belt who feels in a slump, this was great to read.

14. boisefireman

boisefireman Blue Belt

Thanks for the compliments. I have gone down and seen the Pan ams and national championships and alot of super heavy weights are " top players only", don't have good guards and etc. Their game is mostly weight and crushing. I have always wanted to be like the elite superheavy weights in my style...ie roger gracie, cyborg, comprido, neto, big guys that are dynamic and skilled in, well, jiu jitsu. It is a lofty goal, but one that I really want. I guess I needed to hear that "work" is the way to get there. Seems like I should know that, but maybe winning has made me complacant. In the end, I want to be really good all round. It isn't going to happen by just showing up.
    I would love you to come down Auspex. Would be fun.

15. sanchezero

sanchezero Green Belt

this is one of the things a lot of people neglect about spending a lot of time with one instructor. when you've trained with a guy for years they know your game inside and out and can give it some serious troubleshooting. also, once you have that kind of longevity, it kinda breaks down any barriers that might keep them blowing sunshine up your ass.

not to say you can't get great advice or gamechanging input from people you train with briefly, but it's on a different level when it comes in the context of a longstanding relationship.

16. boisefireman

boisefireman Blue Belt

This is very true. Keith can tell me I suck at something and I know it is because I really suck. And, the same is true if it is a positive. I know it's not just to make me feel good. That is what 5 years of see eachother 4 times aweek will do for you.

17. rowdstar

rowdstar Orange Belt

at least you get a real answer.

at times ive asked this and just been told "train more" and that was it.

its nice to get specific advice.

in the 8 months ive been a purple belt ive been in the hospital for 2 of them and 1 sick at home. i wont be able to train again until feb. so in one year of being a purple i will have only trained 5 months!!

i wish i only had a few things to work on..... hahah, so be happy you're on the path you are on.

18. ShanghaiBJJ

ShanghaiBJJ Brown Belt

Registering on the purple belt slump boat.

Good post boise, thanks much.

19. boisefireman

boisefireman Blue Belt

The good thing is I know it won't last and I'll come out on the other side better for it. Funny how some of my teammates think me saying I'm in a slump equals being negative or down on myself. It's really a honest objective evaluation with a plan of action to correct it. We all probably all need to do this from time to time.

20. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

That's some great advice and pretty inspiring. Thanks for posting that.