1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Reports about bad ads should include the following:

1. Location/Country
2. Device
3. Browser
4. Company/product of ad.
5. A screen shot if possible,
6. Brief description of how the ad is a problem.
7. Page/Pages affected
8. Date and Time of occurrence.

Refer to the instructions for your device on how to take screen shots

Locked Had a thread deleted, no reason given.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Muscles82, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muscles82

Muscles82 Yellow Belt

So I had a thread deleted for the first time yesterday. I won't go into specifically what I posted but in a somewhat comical fashion I was trying to compare Matt Hughes' crazy strength (described by many on here as "farm boy strength") to a frequently used off-color description for a stereotype that people with down syndrome have inexplicable strength. You get the idea; I'm not trying to get this thread deleted too.

So the thread lasted about 5 minutes before it was deleted by a MOD. Obviously someone, either a fellow user, MOD, or both found my post to be in poor taste and removed it. Fine, no problems there. I honestly didn't think my brief post was anything that even encroached on the standards I've seen here. I mean, this place is frequented by adult males, and I don't get the vibe that the owners of Sherdog are trying to pass themselves off as a G-rated site.

In any event, I was surprised to find that my thread simply "disappeared." Is it common practice on this forum for MODs to delete your thread and give you absolutely 0 justification and/or means to find out why? I'd expect any of the following once a thread gets deleted:

- E-mail sent to your account either automatically or from the MOD telling you the thread has been deleted and at the very least give one of a several categories for why (off-topic, offensive, wrong forum, fighter bashing, etc.)
    - Somewhere in your own profile settings the ability to see the deleted thread and the aforementioned categorical reason as to why it was deleted
    - The MOD that made the call to delete your thread and a means to contact them if you so desire
    - If the above isn't possible, a generic e-mail address and/or medium for users to politely find more about deleted threads

Apologies if any of the above are already in place; if so can you help a white belt out and point me in the right direction? If not, this kind of secretive thread deleting with no tracing or feedback given whatsoever is not something I'm a fan of. It's a kind of censorship that Sherdog is certainly entitled to, being a privately run website with bills to pay and sponsors to please, but one I think they can handle a little more professionally.

My 2 cents.

2. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Hardcore Gangster Belt

Read the first paragraph of your post. That is exactly why the thread was deleted.

You will also not be informed why your thread was deleted. There are too many threads that are floating around, there would be no time to notify you why your garbage thread was canned.

Making a thread comparing a professional fighters strength with a person who has a mental disability in an off color fashion will always get deleted, if not get you dubbed as well.

Chramelated likes this.
  3. computer fogie

computer fogie Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

You made this same thread in the War Room.

A couple of threads you've made in the HW's forum: "Why don't commissions regulate height stats?" And "So...did Jenna TAPOUT to the PUNISHMENT?"

Then "Farm Boy Strength vs. Retard Strength", also in HW's.

You first post in that one: "Hughes-esque farm boy strength vs. retard strength: which is greater?

Discuss."

...what did you want again?

4. Muscles82

Muscles82 Yellow Belt

Well for starters as a newcomer to Sherdog posting, it seems to me that the overall vibe / community tends to enjoy and no doubt engage in what most would describe as "toilet humor", myself included. As such I figured the Tito thread, which was just one of many, was in keeping with the tone of the threads. As for the thread on height stats....that one was 100% legitimate. There are loads of threads talking about how the UFC plays up the hight stats on their fighters, most notably with Tim Sylvia and Shane Carwin. How in the world is that not a legitimate topic? There wasn't any hint of a joke, no fighter bashing nor anything else that I can see in that thread. I honestly do think commissions would want to regulate those stats. Training for a 6'4 Shane Carwin is no doubt different than training for a 6' one, especially when hiring training partners.

The Hughes-esque farm boy strength thread? No excuses there. Off-color and in poor taste I assume.

But the point of this current thread is that I think that, as the 68th largest internet forum in existence, this site has the tools available to and should give its members an idea of why threads are deleted. Obviously some posts are by people who are just out to game the system; myself, I read Sherdog a lot and want to start becoming an active poster. I just found out today that there even was a support forum. To have a screen on my profile where I alone can see who deleted my post and at my discretion PM that person, I don't think it'd be a big deal. To add box next to the option button a MOD has to delete a thread that specifies one of a few categories of why it was deleted, I don't think that's asking too much either. That'll help people like me who wonder "was my post off-topic? did I go over the edge? wrong forum? been posted already?" as we try and tailor our posting habits to respect the culture and rules that the Sherdog community has every right to set themselves. I just want your help in following them.

So, computer fogie, I'm just expressing my opinion that quietly deleting threads with no means of tracking, notification or reasoning given to the thread starters is something that I, as a new forum member that has absolutely no experience in running a forum or any other expertise in this area to back it up on, finds in poor taste.

5. Ronwah

Ronwah Knighthood pending Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think the reason why you are not notified in these instances is pretty simple - time. As you say, this forum has a lot of traffic and a relatively small number of moderators to handle that traffic.
    To start pm'ing the thread starter of every inappropriate thread you delete would not be a positive use of the time available.

My best advice would be to read the forum rules and if you need to think twice whether what you are going to post might break a rule, it's probably best to not post it.

Cheers.

6. Chramelated

Chramelated The Real Guy, The Best Guy Banned

7. WarVitor

WarVitor Yellow Belt

yea im looking, i see other Goldberg/brock threads... why did mine get deleted? it was a funny one!

8. WarVitor

WarVitor Yellow Belt

is it against the rules to post that?

9. Estrogenblocker1078

Estrogenblocker1078 Purple Belt

I had my thread deleted once and you know what? I fucking deserved it. I'm a shit thread starter. But I have some good posts :D

10. Jermei

Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

I thought Ronwah got banned.

11. Lethal

Lethal Forum Administrator Staff Member Forum Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.