Had a rare knee surgery done

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Chris_Keller, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Chris_Keller

Chris_Keller Orange Belt

Hi everyone, i just got out of the hospital, had a rare knee syndrome, took me a year to find the right doc who knew about it.

i made a couple threads a year ago when i was desperatly looking for the answer.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/knee-keeps-popping-out-1076671/

My fibula head would slip out of the socket when my knee was fully bent, making practice impossible, and grappling was my life.
    i was fine the rest of the time but i couldnt sit in guard with a good posture, play butterfly guard or armbar with one leg against the ribs. Couldn't shoot, or block kicks either.

i think it came from the constant penetration steps i would drill like a mad man and land too hard on my knee instead of going forward.

The surgeon dug a hole through my shinbone and connected a hamstring tendon to keep the fibula in place.

Now i have to sit and hate my life for 9 more months without training, and a much lesser chance of achieving good things in grappling and mma.

There's been only a few cases of this syndrome, has anyone encountered something similar?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

There's no shortage of people on this board who've had a hamstring tendon implanted in their knee, though it's usually part of an ACL or MCL replacement. The recovery time is a bit shorter (6 months rather than 9), but still sucks.

Some random words of advice:

1. Do your physical therapy religiously, even if the exercises seem lame.
    2. The first couple months hurt, but you'll probably find that 3 months out you have very little pain and swelling. This is good (because pain and swelling suck), but also bad because in the absence of pain, you may be tempted to overuse your knee.
    3. You don't mention how long ago you had the surgery - if it's recent, then icing your knee should help a lot with the inflammation. I actually ended up with a machine that would pump ice water through a pad that was strapped to my knee. Definitely helped with recovery from the surgery itself.
    4. Nine months is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Find something to distract yourself, and you'll be healed in no time.

3. Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam Orange Belt

Good luck with your recovery. A knee injury sucks. I don't know if its as serious as yours, but I went on some medication that caused a lot of joint problems, especially in my knees. I've found that BJJ doesn't aggravate my knees at all. I can't say now that you'll be back to where you where before your surgery. It sucks, but knee injuries have destroyed a lot of potential careers. Don't get yourself down until you actually find out what you're new joint is capable of. Even if you can't do what you used to be able to, there's a good chance you'll be able to continue BJJ. Gordo had a knee injury that he trained through and ended up developing his half guard game because of it, so stay positive, you've got time to sort everything out.

4. Chris_Keller

Chris_Keller Orange Belt

thanks for the advice man, i just got out of the hospital and the swelling is massive. The rare thing is the fibula subluxation of course not the ligament transplant.

They havent been precise on the time off, one doc said 6 the other said 9 months without wrestling and jiu-jitsu, boxing is gonna be okay in three months but there's no boxing where i'm gonna live for the next months.

5. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody White Belt

I'm currently side lined due to an mcl tear. I've been told 6 weeks to recover and it already feels like a lifetime. Hang in their man. Due your exercises when you get there, ice, and rest it up. Heal it now and avoid further knee problems in the future.

6. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

I would think that 9 months is longer than you need to be sidelined completely. Do all of your PT, even the exercises they give you to do at home. Then you can probably slowly work into doing some drilling, then maybe even flow rolling with select people that you know can keep your knee safe while rolling. The surgery damage will probably be healed in 3 months, but the atrophy that happened will be the main concern after that. All that aside, you've got to be careful when you test the waters.