Had a piece of that humble pie last night...

lukasz4k

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been practicing BJJ for two months. I thought to myself that I'm a very good white belt and to be completely honest I was getting a bit cocky (at least in my mind). So last night I rolled with with a (very good) blue belt.

Three arm bars and two minutes later, lesson learned.

I took it as a positive learning experience. It helped me to bring me down to earth.

Go BJJ.

I stopped reading @ "I've been practicing BJJ for two months".

Get used to it, getting schooled can be the most insightful aspect of jiujitsu; it's certainly better for you than beating everyone up all the time.

Besides, as long as you'll be training (even if your a black belt) you will still be getting schooled; it's apart of the game!

It would have been humble pie if you were the blue belt in question, but since you're the two-month white belt, it's just a day in the life.

In fact, by saying you ate humble pie after being tooled by someone you'd expect to be tooled by, well, I can't think of a bigger irony right now.

2 months is way to early to be getting cocky about anything.

That's the only lesson you need to take away from this.

this. Team Garcia may have an opening for an official gatekeeper.

I thought you needed at least three stripes to be official gatekeeper

Two month white belts aren't good at Jiu Jitsu. Come to think of it, blue belts aren't very good either. You need some perspective. Start rolling with brown belts.

Word. Start a fight team, dude.
hahaha! Do it. You should also move into probationary blue belt status.

On the other hand, have you only rolled with brand new white belts prior to this which is why you feel cocky?

I had the very humbling experience of rolling with my instructor last night. I explain guys with a lot of experience as wrestling with Jello. You push one side down and the guy just sort of wiggles out the other way. Then vice versa, you put pressure there and 'pop' your on your back.

Good stuff, it's good to roll with guys a lot better, only way to improve.

I've rolled with guys that I let work and let them put me in bad positions so I can work out of them. A few weeks ago this whitebelt had a rude awaking as he found that the times we rolled before, I was going light. The look on his face was priceless especially since he was a bigger stronger guy. He seriously was in disbelief..

How do you know he was a good blue belt? Just because he submitted you? Maybe he was a crappy blue belt?

blue > white.

belts mean something in bjj. guys way ahead of you should be able to beat you consistently.

Nice brah... You almost a BB.

How do you know he was a good blue belt? Just because he submitted you? Maybe he was a crappy blue belt?

blue > white.

Yes. See, the purpose of this entire thread was not to really show any degree of "humble." It was, rather, to brag about how awesome that he is and that it took someone much awesomer to remind him that he's only super awesome...not exceedingly super awesome.

There's nothing too be cocky about until you are the official gatekeeper. Like someone else said, you need a few more stripes before you get there. Keep at it man!

You won't make it a year.

no need to be harsh guys...ive seen it plenty of time athtletic guys come in the gym, he is able to throw around other white belts but realize he still need alot to learn to actually get good once he roll with blue and up.

Back