Had a go at a division 1 wrestler.

Strategy for facing someone in competition =/= to using bjj to "beat" someone in practice rather than learn from someone who could obviously show you alot.

Yeah that's true, good point. But it's always a little competitive the first time you roll with a guy you don't know yet. First impressions count, so there's that urge to show him what you've got. You have to roll a few times, chat a little, and build up a certain minimum level of trust before letting your guard down and showing your weaknesses.

Yeah that's true, good point. But it's always a little competitive the first time you roll with a guy you don't know yet. First impressions count, so there's that urge to show him what you've got. You have to roll a few times, chat a little, and build up a certain minimum level of trust before letting your guard down and showing your weaknesses.

Maybe it's because I'm just an older guy and I've been in more matches, tournaments and whatnot to last two lifetimes. I don't try to show anybody up, and generally match intensity depending on who I'm rolling with. I get next to nothing from beating someone in practice, but a great feeling when I pull off a technique I've been working on. Like I said maybe I'm just an old race horse who doesn't mind galloping around the track.

So I should just ignore the fact that wrestling is badass and only train one style? that doesnt make sense. So I make friends with this guy and train wrestle with him 1-2 times a week and continue my usual BJJ training(2-6 times a week) and apply both styles... that makes sense.

I think what he's getting at is more of the "fight a boxer, box a fighter" angle. When you face someone who is brawler, you don't turn it into a slugfest. When you face a superior boxer, you don't go into a technical chess match. The point is to not go head on in the direction of your opponent's strength. You can and should improve your wrestling, but don't try to beat your opponent where you know he's better. Pull guard and beat him with jiu jitsu techniques b/c he will not be as comfortable there as he is in a pure wrestling scenario.

Back