Had a go at a division 1 wrestler.

if the guy came strictly from wrestling, chances are the blue belt and you would of submitted him... he was probably training some no gi for a year or two

I'm a purple belt and I've always had trouble with wrestlers. They move quite differently than a jiu-jitsu guy and tend to give me fits. Main difference I noticed is that wrestlers are way more aggressive and use holds/moves that not a lot of jiu-jitsu guys (at least ones I have rolled with) use very often.

As a example, about two weeks ago I rolled with this white belt at my school that happened to also be a high school wrestling champ. While rolling, he is moving at lightning speed with very good control. Somewhere during the roll, he gets me into a cradle and then somehow transitions it into a banana split. It was so fast I still have no idea how he did it. I even had to go research what a banana split was since I'd never been in one before. It hurt like hell! Anyhow, thanks to years of escape practice against brown/black belts I survived without tapping and was able to eventually reverse the position and get on top. The time period ended at that point and I have never been so happy to finish a roll in my life. Thanks to several years of jiu-jitsu training I survived the roll, but I definitely got tooled.

Feel lucky it wasn't a spladle.

When I go to BJJ, I go to work on my BJJ. But now I have the urge to spladle someone just to see their reaction. I don't think I've ever seen one in BJJ, but it's always there for the taking.

Feel lucky it wasn't a spladle.

When I go to BJJ, I go to work on my BJJ. But now I have the urge to spladle someone just to see their reaction. I don't think I've ever seen one in BJJ, but it's always there for the taking.

I've been put in a spladle in bjj, but it's hard to get a submission out of it. A banana split on the other hand, you'll tear up the hip joints if you're doing it right.

So, I generally have a sense, when I tie up with someone, whether they know what they're doing and/or are stronger than me at standup. If they are and I feel that I'm going to get tossed, I'll pull guard. If it's even, I'll fight. If they don't have a clue, I'm after blood.

If you haven't developed that sense yet, however, you better be aware that accomplished wrestlers are VERY quick and/or VERY strong. If you stand with them, there is a distinct possibility that you will get taken down if not driven into the mat with extreme prejudice.

This is how I do it. I never wrestled, but did Judo. If I even get a hint that this person has powerful stand-up I tend to pull guard. It's a bad habit to be scared of good wrestlers, and I need to get over it and train more wrestling. If I can tell someone has good stand-up in the gi I'll still hang out, because I may feel technical enough to throw them no matter what, but without a gi it's totally different.

I used to think I could just be like Karo and do no-gi Judo, and while I still love doing Judo throws no-gi, that shit doesn't work against great wrestlers. At least not without strikes. I know this is a tangent, but one of the reasons Karo was so good at tossing dudes is because he wasn't afraid to stand in the pocket and throw bombs on people, allowing him to enter and clinch or forcing them to clinch on defense. From there his most successful throws were done almost simultaneously as he clinched. Without strikes, I haven't really found a way in submission-grappling to get someone to give me that momentum for a big throw unless they are pretty new.

So yeah basically I need to get better wrestling.

I've been put in a spladle in bjj, but it's hard to get a submission out of it. A banana split on the other hand, you'll tear up the hip joints if you're doing it right.

I wonder if you could actually dislocate a hip or tear someone's groin with moves like the banana split or the electric chair. I'm pretty sure you could, right?

Interesting... I've always considered it a move to inflict pain. It never really occurred to me that you could create a serious injury from it.

I wonder if you could actually dislocate a hip or tear someone's groin with moves like the banana split or the electric chair. I'm pretty sure you could, right?

I just saw something about the banana split on another forum, the guy wrote

One of the best black belts at our school got caught with one back when he was a brown belt competing in the black belt/brown belt team challenge at the US Open. Popped his hip out of socket...

So apparently it can dislocate the hip. Sounds horrifying.

Interesting... I've always considered it a move to inflict pain. It never really occurred to me that you could create a serious injury from it.

Well, you don't do it the same way you do it in wrestling. When I learned the split in wrestling I was told to grab and put pressure one way, and when I learned it in BJJ I learned it a bit different. I mostly use it as a transitional move nowadays when I'm moving from a calf slicer to a twister, because I find it tough to lock in in the way that causes the proper submission.

And I regret it now.

I have been training about a year, 2 stripe white. Getting pretty confident in my game. This wrestler guy shows up tonight and stayed after class to roll. He mashed on one of our blue belts and submitted him with a toe hold(the blue belt is pretty terrible, big sissy, always whining). After the wrestler fellow had a go at him I thought Id give him a bit more challenge. I did pretty well rolling with him no gi but he eventually caught me with an armbar. I think ha has some training because it was a pretty slick armbar. So we start again and I go a little harder this time. I manage to get my arm under his neck standing and Im working for the guillotine when he picks me up and drives me into the mat. So I got fuckin slammed into the mat and im dying and he gets off of me apologizing because he thought the mats were thicker. Once i get my breath back I tell him im fine and laugh it off and immediately go to the restroom and puke my face off. I don't feel bad about getting smashed since the guys was late 20's and has been wrestling since he was 4.

Moral of the story... I need to be training some wrestling for sure.

Jordan is more than your typical "wrestler". He is definetly a strong wrestler but he has some good submissions (like that rolling toe hold) and is difficult to submit. He has been around the submission/bjj game for a while..dont feel bad that he gave you a hard time..he is good.

Last edited:
in Judo once, I was told to go with this 300 lb yellow belt, and he stacked me so hard that it re-aggravated two herniated disks in my back. didn't train for 3 years afterwards. Only afterwards did I find out he was a D1 All American from Nebraska (if my memory serves). The instructor didn't feel the need to tell me this prior to the match (I was visiting a school). What a douche.

The moral of the story...be careful with wrestlers, they are strong and violent and often aren't as controlled as BJJ guys.

You're a whitebelt, did you really expect to overcome a D1 wrestler?

Moral of the story... I need to be training some wrestling for sure.

What?

The moral of the story is, learn more BJJ and tap him out.

We have a Division I All-American wrestler at our school who is a white belt. He's been training BJJ for a few months, I guess, and he's an absolute beast. He even looks scary as hell. His first tournament was this last weekend, and everyone at our school was stoked about it. He plowed through all of his opponents, just mowed them down. It was unbelievable, and were just about the most exciting matches of the day.

What?

So I should just ignore the fact that wrestling is badass and only train one style? that doesnt make sense. So I make friends with this guy and train wrestle with him 1-2 times a week and continue my usual BJJ training(2-6 times a week) and apply both styles... that makes sense.

So I should just ignore the fact that wrestling is badass and only train one style? that doesnt make sense. So I make friends with this guy and train wrestle with him 1-2 times a week and continue my usual BJJ training(2-6 times a week) and apply both styles... that makes sense.

Exactly. One would be wise to learn the knowledge of your opponent after suffering defeat to them.

Exactly. One would be wise to learn the knowledge of your opponent after suffering defeat to them.

Which was kindof the point. I got smashed by a guy who practices an art I thought I was prepared for. I need to be mixing wrestling with my jiu jitsu.

What?

lmfao....

Great advice if you want to suck at takedowns your whole life.

So I should just ignore the fact that wrestling is badass and only train one style?

No, definitely train wrestling if you have some athleticism, or a knack for it, or you just want to learn it. I'm just saying, don't be discouraged because you lost to a D1 wrestler, you're just a whitebelt for chrissakes. BJJ still devours wrestling once you acquire the skills.

lmfao....

Great advice if you want to suck at takedowns your whole life.

OK but if you're doing jiu-jitsu and a wrestler comes in and uses his wrestling skills to beat you at jiu-jitsu, it doesn't mean you need to become a wrestler too, it means you need to work on your jiu-jitsu skills.

I just had a competition match against a former competitive wrestler. Did I try to wrestle with him? Fuck no. I pulled guard and swept to mount, and I won. If you do jiu-jitsu, then just try to beat him with jiu-jitsu!

Last edited:
OK but if you're doing jiu-jitsu and a wrestler comes in and uses his wrestling skills to beat you at jiu-jitsu, it doesn't mean you need to become a wrestler too, it means you need to work on your jiu-jitsu skills.

I just had a competition match against a former competitive wrestler. Did I try to wrestle with him? Fuck no. I pulled guard and swept to mount, and I won. If you do jiu-jitsu, then just try to beat him with jiu-jitsu!

Strategy for facing someone in competition =/= to using bjj to "beat" someone in practice.

TS is smart to use the opportunity to learn from someone who can improve an aspect of his game that could use some work. I don't think "learning more jiu jitsu" is going to help your takedown game much.

Which was kindof the point. I got smashed by a guy who practices an art I thought I was prepared for. I need to be mixing wrestling with my jiu jitsu.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/american-jiu-jitsu-1394653/index20.html#post44811861

RevNotTVOnline.jpg

shilds_fairtex_front-300x300.jpg

Back