Had a go at a division 1 wrestler.

Dead Roman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And I regret it now.

I have been training about a year, 2 stripe white. Getting pretty confident in my game. This wrestler guy shows up tonight and stayed after class to roll. He mashed on one of our blue belts and submitted him with a toe hold(the blue belt is pretty terrible, big sissy, always whining). After the wrestler fellow had a go at him I thought Id give him a bit more challenge. I did pretty well rolling with him no gi but he eventually caught me with an armbar. I think ha has some training because it was a pretty slick armbar. So we start again and I go a little harder this time. I manage to get my arm under his neck standing and Im working for the guillotine when he picks me up and drives me into the mat. So I got fuckin slammed into the mat and im dying and he gets off of me apologizing because he thought the mats were thicker. Once i get my breath back I tell him im fine and laugh it off and immediately go to the restroom and puke my face off. I don't feel bad about getting smashed since the guys was late 20's and has been wrestling since he was 4.

Moral of the story... I need to be training some wrestling for sure.

Closed guard. It will be your friend when you have to roll against wrestlers.

A wrestler came with another student to train at my academy, and Rolondo, one of the most skilled bluebelts at my school, told me to roll with him and specifically told me to pull guard. I didn't know this kid was a wrestler, so I just did what Rolondo told me. I subbed him twice from guard, and didn't learn he was a wrestler until after the lesson.

now that I think about it I had him locked up in a triangle and he got out of it by basically spazzing like a mother fucker. they said he weighed 150, He seemed to be about 170. Im 200, kid was strong as fuck.

yeah, if you don't have solid wrestling your guard should be solid. If you go to a competition and run into a guy like that, are you really going to let yourself get tossed on your head?

I have a wrestling background (wrestled in school and always wrestled my whole childhood with my brother and cousins... almost all of which were highschool wrestlers and one who was on the US national greco team). So, I generally have a sense, when I tie up with someone, whether they know what they're doing and/or are stronger than me at standup. If they are and I feel that I'm going to get tossed, I'll pull guard. If it's even, I'll fight. If they don't have a clue, I'm after blood.

If you haven't developed that sense yet, however, you better be aware that accomplished wrestlers are VERY quick and/or VERY strong. If you stand with them, there is a distinct possibility that you will get taken down if not driven into the mat with extreme prejudice.

Don't try to out-wrestle a wrestler, just pull guard and triangle him.

So I just found out he wrestled for duke, His name Is Jordan. Though, I dont think he is Jordan Walsh who is the only jordan I found on any of their rosters going back to the 05-06 season.

Don't try to out-wrestle a wrestler, just pull guard and triangle him.

THIS.I used to get tooled by wrestlers when I started, haven't had much trouble with them for a while now.

edit. yes division 1 wrestler would suck to go against.

I have been training about a year, 2 stripe white.

That's all I needed to read.

Training wrestling is always good, so yeah go do that.

But the moral of the story isn't just that. Of course he beat you. You're a 2 stripe white belt. Improve your jiu jitsu as well. Even if you had been training wrestling he still would have done the same thing, possibly worse because you wouldn't have been as comfortable on your back.

I rolled with a D1 wrestler once (gi) and was shocked when I took him down with a fireman's carry. I think he wasn't expecting it. From there it got fun. But I was a blue belt. As a white belt I got smashed by some (much larger) D3 wrestlers.

Closed guard. It will be your friend when you have to roll against wrestlers.

A wrestler came with another student to train at my academy, and Rolondo, one of the most skilled bluebelts at my school, told me to roll with him and specifically told me to pull guard. I didn't know this kid was a wrestler, so I just did what Rolondo told me. I subbed him twice from guard, and didn't learn he was a wrestler until after the lesson.

What's your point?

You think you could have told TS, "go to guard" and he would have tooled this guy?

Was the guy you rolled with a Division I, Division II, JUCO, a college wrestler of any kind, or just some kid who wrestled in high school? Not that you couldn't tool a college wrestler, but if you're not at least a strong blue, then I have my doubts.

When I was at Xtreme Couture over the summer, and summer '09, I rolled with quite a few credentialed wrestlers. I've found the best way to deal with a strong wrestler is to of course pull guard, and from there just don't give time to get anything going. Trap an arm, play with high/ rubber guard, offset their base, and above all else- never be flat on your back! Always on a hip, always attacking something.

I've found that since wrestlers like to post their legs out in guard, and i've found quite a bit of success with the pendulum sweep. Also, the electric chair sweep from half guard works real well for me generally.

Front headlocks are also good for wrestlers who will just dive for takedowns, although proper head position and pressure is something you see from alot of great wrestlers, not to mention with how strong their necks are, and how explosive their hips are that it can be hard to lock a choke in.

I'm sorry you got slammed, this sucks way more than being dominated or what. Hey, I'm relatively ok with somebody schooling me, but the risk of injury is a way bigger treat :mad: .

Anyway, I wouldn't be too harsh on myself if I were in you... this guy not only is a D1 wrestler (and this alone should be enough) but it seems he even got knowledge of some submissions too, like the toehold you were talking, or the armbar. One that can perform this kind of stuff on blue belts or good whites (especially the toehold), doesn't sound to me like a total beginner in this area.

Hm, so he was a lot better than you in one aspect of the game (takedowns). One tactic is to stay away from that (pull guard) ... definitely advisable in competition.

But if it was club practice, I'd have suggested you get in as much standup as possible with him (ie ask him to just roll with takedowns), because that's where you're going to learn the most from him. You've probably got lots of guys in your club who you can practice ground stuff with. How many guys can you improve your takedowns with?

And yeah, he'd probably have to go light with you on takedowns, but he probably wouldn't mind. Think about where you want to be with your BJJ in five years, not about winning a club roll.

I'm sorry you got slammed, this sucks way more than being dominated or what. Hey, I'm relatively ok with somebody schooling me, but the risk of injury is a way bigger treat :mad: .

Anyway, I wouldn't be too harsh on myself if I were in you... this guy not only is a D1 wrestler (and this alone should be enough) but it seems he even got knowledge of some submissions too, like the toehold you were talking, or the armbar. One that can perform this kind of stuff on blue belts or good whites (especially the toehold), doesn't sound to me like a total beginner in this area.

yeah, he must have trained in submission grappling or maybe a bjj ninja but he still needs to learn some etiquette especially if he's a visitor: no slams allowed.

yeah, he must have trained in submission grappling or maybe a bjj ninja but he still needs to learn some etiquette especially if he's a visitor: no slams allowed.

If henhad any training whatsoever he should have known better. Congrats TS on having a positive attitude and being the bigger man for handling it so well.

put silly wrassler in your gward and trionglay him:icon_chee

sounds like he was pretty decent if he caught a toe hold on a bluebelt. but its good expierence to train with a good calibre wrestler.

Wrestling is super important in general but bottom line is a guy with 20+ years of grappling beat someone with 1 year. That's going to happen nearly 100% of the time.

I'm a purple belt and I've always had trouble with wrestlers. They move quite differently than a jiu-jitsu guy and tend to give me fits. Main difference I noticed is that wrestlers are way more aggressive and use holds/moves that not a lot of jiu-jitsu guys (at least ones I have rolled with) use very often.

As a example, about two weeks ago I rolled with this white belt at my school that happened to also be a high school wrestling champ. While rolling, he is moving at lightning speed with very good control. Somewhere during the roll, he gets me into a cradle and then somehow transitions it into a banana split. It was so fast I still have no idea how he did it. I even had to go research what a banana split was since I'd never been in one before. It hurt like hell! Anyhow, thanks to years of escape practice against brown/black belts I survived without tapping and was able to eventually reverse the position and get on top. The time period ended at that point and I have never been so happy to finish a roll in my life. Thanks to several years of jiu-jitsu training I survived the roll, but I definitely got tooled.

yeah, if you don't have solid wrestling your guard should be solid. If you go to a competition and run into a guy like that, are you really going to let yourself get tossed on your head?

I have a wrestling background (wrestled in school and always wrestled my whole childhood with my brother and cousins... almost all of which were highschool wrestlers and one who was on the US national greco team). So, I generally have a sense, when I tie up with someone, whether they know what they're doing and/or are stronger than me at standup. If they are and I feel that I'm going to get tossed, I'll pull guard. If it's even, I'll fight. If they don't have a clue, I'm after blood.

If you haven't developed that sense yet, however, you better be aware that accomplished wrestlers are VERY quick and/or VERY strong. If you stand with them, there is a distinct possibility that you will get taken down if not driven into the mat with extreme prejudice.

I'm kinda like you, wreslted a lot, and am G#$ awful hard to take down. Rolled with a DII all American, he crushed me HARD! He took me down like he was my Dad, and I was 8. He was also 30lbs heavier too, but for reals, it's just another level.

I'm a purple belt and I've always had trouble with wrestlers. They move quite differently than a jiu-jitsu guy and tend to give me fits. Main difference I noticed is that wrestlers are way more aggressive and use holds/moves that not a lot of jiu-jitsu guys (at least ones I have rolled with) use very often.

As a example, about two weeks ago I rolled with this white belt at my school that happened to also be a high school wrestling champ. While rolling, he is moving at lightning speed with very good control. Somewhere during the roll, he gets me into a cradle and then somehow transitions it into a banana split. It was so fast I still have no idea how he did it. I even had to go research what a banana split was since I'd never been in one before. It hurt like hell! Anyhow, thanks to years of escape practice against brown/black belts I survived without tapping and was able to eventually reverse the position and get on top. The time period ended at that point and I have never been so happy to finish a roll in my life. Thanks to several years of jiu-jitsu training I survived the roll, but I definitely got tooled.

You never learned a banana split in BJJ?

Anyway, the key to defeating someone of a different grappling style is to force them into your game. Start using your tactics and they'll be on the defensive and won't be able to use theirs.

Back