Opinion H1-B Visas. How do we fix this mess?

If the claim is "the increased use of independent contractors are undercutting employee wages", that's a reasonable position to argue and one I would agree with. If the argument is "H1-B's specifically need to be revamped because they're undercutting domestic labor wages," that's not a position I would agree with. It's missing the forest for the trees.

Sure the former is an issue as well, but we're focused on the latter.

Let me rephrase the latter for you:

"the increased use of H1B independent contractors are undercutting the wages of non H1B independent contractors".

I don't think that nuance will change your position and that's ok.

Furthermore, I argue that we should start plugging some holes until we have the capacity to rebuild the entire dam.

Sure the former is an issue as well, but we're focused on the latter.

Let me rephrase the latter for you:

"the increased use of H1B independent contractors are undercutting the wages of non H1B independent contractors".

I don't think that nuance will change your position and that's ok.

Furthermore, I argue that we should start plugging some holes until we have the capacity to rebuild the entire dam.
I would agree that some holes should be plugged, I don't think H1-Bs are at the top of the list for potential holes to be filled. I'd say the first set of holes should be gig workers in ride share or food delivery services.

I don't think you are that familiar with the IT industry (the industry that is impacted the most), hence your position that this is not a problem.

If something is not being effectively used and has unintended consequences on the very industry it was supposed to help, then it needs to be fixed.

There is direct impact (lower wages, quality of work, etc.) and less direct impact of which examples were given by other posters.

I can't tell if you are stating that "that's how the world turns" and we'll just continue or whether you're stating that the private industry will self regulate.

And if your position is that the infusion of skilled professionals is necessary, then the current program is STILL not doing that effectively.
I've seen code come out of our Indian branch that has a typo in the literal script name lmao

It's quite humourous to me how many problems came out of having them create a data warehouse that our clients rely on for their daily reporting

Back