1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Opinion H1-B Visas. How do we fix this mess?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Cooz, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Cole train Silver Belt

I watched some videos of offices google has.

Crazy stuff

2. Russky Green Belt

Many Indian managers would hire Indian engineers only. That's a part of the culture, and it killed one of the companies I worked for.

Cooz likes this.
  3. ElKarlo Yellow Card Yellow Card

Well US schools have the funding. My question is where is it going? There's so much nonsense built into the system now

4. Russky Green Belt

It is not about money. China and India do not spend nearly as much money and the result is way better. It is school program, teachers, and attitude.

5. C0NCH3TO Gold Belt

Dudes from Bangladesh, Pakistan and other shithole countries are much smarter than you americans lol. ( i wont even bring south Korea or Japan.. that would be too savage). Usa pays to bring wonderful minds to their territory so they can keep on thriving. It’s been like that for years. You don’t have people with the brain power to do what these malnourished, poor kids can. You simply cannot perform those jerbs at the speed and accuracy as them.

6. JSN choo-CHOO! Double Yellow Card

I think we have a lot of shit going on. I’ll stick to my own field because I don’t know much about tech. A lot of American engineering students are looking for a path to management.

I’ve known a lot of chemical engineers in their thirties and forties who’ve done very little engineering in their careers and a lot of the people graduating now are going straight to an mba. I think engineering bs+mba is a great combo traditionally, but skipping any kind of work experience just doesn’t produce the same kind of asset imo.

I’ve also heard that a lot of STEM programs, evenengineering programs, are softening accordingly. I’ve seen a lot of recent graduates far more concerned with getting their black belt or trying to use Minitab to spit out a DOE than use what I would consider more effective basic level problem solving skills.

milkmandanl and Cooz like this.
  7. Mamba Mentality Sherdog Influencer

Yes 130k every year... Lol at you angsty twats defending this.

America is a dumping ground for it's own citizens.

8. AznTrojan Silver Belt

lot of rural docs only work there due to h1 visas.. good luck attracting talent to bumfuck nowhere

Ophydian and Cooz like this.
  9. Russky Green Belt

There is artificially limited supply of doctors in the US. Getting into the medical school is incredible tough and expensive process.

10. Cooz Brown Belt

Bingo.

You just made one of my key arguments for how they lower wages. You are able to retain an H1B visa holder for a long time? Why is that? Because they place greater value on stability and are willing to make other sacrifices (quality of life, wages, etc.) in order to get past the 7+ year waiting period to become naturalized.

You are unable to keep qualified Americans because they apparently go to higher paying jobs. That means you are not willing to pay market value, unless your market is saturated with below market rate talent.

Now what do US citizens do that do not have mobility and are not able to just pack up and leave? They have to cave in to the local rates which are artificially low due to and external injection of talent.

This was never the intent of the H1B visa program.

milkmandanl likes this.
  11. Cooz Brown Belt

Triple Like.

I can't stress enough how spot on this post is. There is a clear need to attract and retain foreign talent. Why wouldn't anyone want that??

The current system has been abused and corrupted. It desperately needs to be revamped.

So there's been more stringent requirements implemented by this administration for proof of employment when renewing an H1B Visa.

They include taking photos of your work space and laptop. Not a joke. No badge/logo/dates newspaper required to be in the photo.
    Even sherdog has more stringent standards when posters upload photos of themselves (often tim the form of the subject holding a banana).

If anything, this administration has made it more confusing for H1B visa holders to go through the process. It's done nothing address the problem, and quite frankly people with greater talent (and less desperation) are saying "eff it, not worth my time" and are leaving.

Get To Da Choppa likes this.
  12. Cooz Brown Belt

Let's first address the problem, then figure out who will police it.

13. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

So, the argument from the OP is that we get 130,000 qualified people into the labor pool and this is a bad thing?

The supposedly work-displaced Americans can bootstrap themselves up or so I'm told...

Okay, that last bit might have been too tongue in cheek for some. But if the economic model is working the way it's supposed to be working, and every time I mention the poor I'm told that the system is fine, then these Americans should be able to find work if they want it bad enough. And even if they can't find a job, they can go into business for themselves.

Unless, and this is a big one, what if the system doesn't work the way it's advertised for all Americans?

Ophydian and Sohei like this.
  14. Cooz Brown Belt

Great point, and I remember you being in the industry (although you made some very dishonest claims about AI drones killing people :) ).

How to GROW talent at home is an entire other problem and I can't address that yet (although I'm making headway in that industry now).

How do we ensure that we're getting actual talent from overseas and that it's not suppressing the local market?

Strict evaluation periods? Should a company be required to post jobs being held by H1B holders and allow anyone to apply for them periodically?

15. Cooz Brown Belt

I think I came across that same article, though I'm sure there's more than one. Another person was stranded in Canada with her kids. This process and uncertainty is not fair to them.

Must be fixed!

16. Cooz Brown Belt

It's not the enemy, however it's not being used as intended.

17. Cooz Brown Belt

Yes, the paperwork is a nightmare. Having said that, would you say some of that has to do with how confusing it is?

Also, a lot of the vendors that sponsor these visas have staff to churn that paperwork out.

milkmandanl likes this.
  18. Cooz Brown Belt

Great point. However I don't think H1B visas have any impact on the other type of immigration you bring up. Different buckets and quotas.

19. Cooz Brown Belt

I was recently making the argument that certain programs and degrees should NOT cost the same as others.

An arts professor is certainly not paid as much as a math professor, so why the hell does an art degree cost a student the same as a math one?

I digress...that's a topic for another day.

Sohei and Bob Sapp like this.
  20. Cooz Brown Belt

I actually don't know what type of impact 100% remote work will have on that. To be honest, I don't think there's any issue with that.