Opinion H1-B Visas. How do we fix this mess?

Dude, I am the one interviewing them. Surely, there are many foreigners that don’t qualify and don’t get hired, but the ones who passed interviews prove to be quite qualified, our success rate is high
Now, there might be a lot of companies that act as proxy to get them Green cards or visas , but not mine

How much do you pay them?

Im starting to not care anymore. I say we make it in the millions.

H1-B workers do have anchor babies. Just read an article about 2 days ago about an Indian H1-B couple who had 2 kids while working here. The mother was visiting her mother in India and is now stranded there, cause of strict US entry requirements for non citizens , owing to Wuhan virus. On a personal level I know of some H1-B couples who have had kids here.
the point is that those anchor babies will probably be productive members of society since their parents are, unlike the kids of some person who swam across the border.

Strict oversight of companies to check that they do their best to hire Americans first for any job, and only resort to foreigners as a last resort. Have the FBI routinely check on companies, go through their paperwork, check community college graduates - with decent grades - to see if they applied for jobs but were denied.

You guys already do this.

You should have seen the pile of paperwork I (someone in my company) had to do to work in the US for a couple of months. Also had to bring my original diploma to the airport with me. Had to explain why I could the job and there were no US citizens that could etc... what a nightmare.

the point is that those anchor babies will probably be productive members of society since their parents are, unlike the kids of some person who swam across the border.
I don't disagree that the H1-B software progammer's kids have a higher odds of being college grads. The kid of the illegal Central American will also be productive, just in a different field.

I look at the person coming across the Southern Border in a different light, as someone who is native to the Americas, living in poor conditons , and in the case of El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, someone who lived under death squads / dictatorships that in part was funded by the US. So these folks coming here helps them, their familes and country which I prefer over attracting the educated foreigners just because it advances American economic interests.

I don't disagree that the H1-B software progammer's kids have a higher odds of being college grads. The kid of the illegal Central American will also be productive, just in a different field.

I look at the person coming across the Southern Border in a different light, as someone who is native to the Americas, living in poor conditons , and in the case of El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, someone who lived under death squads / dictatorships that in part was funded by the US. So these folks coming here helps them, their familes and country which I prefer over attracting the educated foreigners just because it advances American economic interests.
it's more than that though. While first generation immigrants are largely hardworking and a net benefit to the economy, their pattern of immigration is exploitative and leads to worse outcomes where second and third generations live in violent ghettos because they've lived in relative poverty with uneducated parents who've had precious little time to parent them.

I would have a really hard time making an argument that a lot of these places like areas of northern Virginia and southern California are better off being overrun by poorly-integrating latinos. Meanwhile, sadly, the places they're wanting to get away from will continue easily to fill any population void and continue to be every bit as fucked up.

I don't know what the cure is for a place like El Salvador or Somalia, but I can tell you that it's not bringing people out of them to become increasingly disaffected by their situation in a first world country.

Maybe fund public education so that there isnt a shortage of STEM field graduates?

Do you have evidence that yesterday's Asian schools that have cranked out today's STEM workers received more funding than American schools? If so, post it.

H1B visas will be done soon. Right now even conservative companies switching to remote.

Do you have evidence that yesterday's Asian schools that have cranked out today's STEM workers received more funding than American schools? If so, post it.

Why would i post evidence of a claim i never made?

There is a STEM worker shortage and even with HB-1 visas there are still vacancies unfilled.

Why would i post evidence of a claim i never made?

There is a STEM worker shortage and even with HB-1 visas there are still vacancies unfilled.

Here's what you said "Maybe fund public education so that there isnt a shortage of STEM field graduates".

Assuming that your dubious claim about the US not having enough people qualified for STEM jobs were true, you need to demonstrate that the other part of your claim is true: that this is because the US doesn't fund public education.

Who has been getting the STEM jobs that there aren't enough Americans to fill? What countries are they from? Post how much these countries have spent on public education per year over the last couple decades vs how much the US has spent on public education.

Here's what you said "Maybe fund public education so that there isnt a shortage of STEM field graduates".

Assuming that your dubious claim about the US not having enough people qualified for STEM jobs were true, you need to demonstrate that the other part of your claim is true: that this is because the US doesn't fund public education.

Who has been getting the STEM jobs that there aren't enough Americans to fill? What countries are they from? Post how much these countries have spent on public education per year over the last couple decades vs how much the US has spent on public education.

The evidence has been provided by others in the thread

Also US higher education is ridiculously expensive.

The evidence has been provided by others in the thread

Also US higher education is ridiculously expensive.

Provide it here. You claimed (1) the US doesn't produce enough people capable of holding STEM jobs (2) because the US doesn't fund public education. Back up both claims.

I agree but man they are going to separate or takeover. The US will end in partition by 2050 I dont see how not. Im okay with this though as its natives of the Americas (although mixed heritage largely mestizos) reclaiming part of their land.

Do you even realize that H1B is for skilled workers like engineers or software developers ?

Do you think these dudes are taking American jobs ? In the fields that are prevalent in H1B workers the unemployment is around 2% even during the pandemic.

Also, to the point that they stay in the US forever: do you prefer these skilled professionals to leave for other countries making the US companies lose the competition. You’re mistaken to think those jobs will be filled by Americans, there’s not enough qualified Americans in these fields. The companies will outsource therefore helping other economies.

However, to somewhat support your point, the diversity lottery should be abolished completely, now you’re talking 55k people coming to the US annually, most of them don’t have high end skilled professions and often become a burden to American tax payers. These 55k green cards should be offered to the masters and PhD graduates of American universities which will ensure it’s given to skilled professionals and will spark international enrollment to the US universities creating revenue

Source : I am a team lead in a software development department in a big company, directly involved in hiring process

You guys already do this.

You should have seen the pile of paperwork I (someone in my company) had to do to work in the US for a couple of months. Also had to bring my original diploma to the airport with me. Had to explain why I could the job and there were no US citizens that could etc... what a nightmare.

So why'd you go?

130,000/330,000,000 = 0.00040625

muh INFUSION

muh 0.04% INFUSION

of people who are here specifically to work hard and make a life for their family, and offer skills in demand

GTFO
Remember when Disney replaced 250 workers with H1Bs and those employees had to train the H1Bs? Lol fuck those American employees, they didn’t need to make a life for themselves and their families apparently.

Back