gyms and politics in portland or

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by kaoklairulz, Nov 2, 2010.

1. kaoklairulz

kaoklairulz White Belt

at work I'm up for a temporary transfer to portland for 4-6 weeks. i'll be in downtown portland but will have a car. since i'm there for a short time, i think i'd like to check out several gyms rather than just settle on one. i'm a purple belt. which gym(s) should i go to? is there any tension between teams i should know about, so training at one might preclude me from training at the other?
    forgot to mention, i'd be there in feb and march

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. DevinTheDewd

DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

3. dokomoy

dokomoy Green Belt

I spent a few weeks in Portland over the summer and dropped by Nemesis BJJ, 5 Rings and Impact. All of them were awesome, but I think the closest one to you will probably be Nemesis, with the other two maybe 20 minutes or so from downtown.

4. bitter

bitter White Belt

A great gym with multiple classes throughout the day and 4 Black Belts in house is, the Original Portland MMA/Jiu Jitsu gym, Straight Blast. It is a short drive from downtown, or you can take the Max(light rail)/Bus to get there. If you would like more info just go to the website Straight Blast Gym - Portland, Oregon it is very low key, but top notch instruction and skill.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010