Gymnastics, who does it?

Nedrin

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Recently I started gymnastics while also doing lifting and I am now 100% sure that gymnastics is probably one of the best things to do while also doing BJJ, your corestrength and upperbody strength get trained like nothing else. Anyway, I'm obviously still a noob at gymnastics and I only train once a week atm, obviously not enough but i'd like to make out of it what I can. We have free training with a guy that is really good and he will answer your questions if you got any, but its not really training, everything is there and everyone does what they want.

Now my question was, are there any specific gymnastics routines that people follow while training? I could really use any advice that would help me use my time more usefull. Thanks

I'm a noob at BJJ and I'm also a noob when it comes to gymnastics. I'm not taking any formal classes on gymnastics but I've been working on some gymnastics related techniques such as muscle-ups, headstand, handstand, forward roll, and backward roll. I'm trying to work up to handstand pushups. It definitely strengthens your core and other muscles you don't even think about exercising in weight training.

I don't know any specific routines because like I said I don't practice gymnastics in a formal setting but I really like BeastSkills.com

I've run some routines based on Somners Building the Gymnastics Body, but I never made it past the three gymnast rating.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't have the time, honestly. I'm glad you do, and it's certainly something that can benefit you. If I had a choice though (and the time), I'd add something more directly related to BJJ, like judo or wrestling....something to help with take downs.

my weight lifting routine includes handstands, gymnastics rings, powerlifts and olympic lifts. I feel like I should probably include some more of the tumbling but I don't really see it being that useful. We do forward rolls as a warmup so I'm content for now.

I don't have the time, honestly. I'm glad you do, and it's certainly something that can benefit you. If I had a choice though (and the time), I'd add something more directly related to BJJ, like judo or wrestling....something to help with take downs.

What you're ignoring is gymnastic's applicability to BJJ. If my opponent turtles, while you're trying to get hooks in, I'm doing a handstand on his back. While you're desperately working a failed cross collar choke, I'm doing pommel horse flares from mount and going into armbars. This is to say nothing of the application of ring work into an open guard when your opponent stands. Let's just say, no one has been able to pass the iron cross!

I'm sure gymnastics would help your core strength quite a bit.

Gymnastics
Yoga
Rock Climbing

All things I'm sure would help my game tremendously but there's no way I can fit any more shit on my plate with BJJ, a full time job, and strength and conditioning three times a week.

Last edited:
my weight lifting routine includes handstands, gymnastics rings, powerlifts and olympic lifts. I feel like I should probably include some more of the tumbling but I don't really see it being that useful. We do forward rolls as a warmup so I'm content for now.

Seriously? every judo dojo worth its salt practices tumbling, creates amazing space awareness.

YouTube - Impossible judo

YouTube - Imposible judo II

What you're ignoring is gymnastic's applicability to BJJ. If my opponent turtles, while you're trying to get hooks in, I'm doing a handstand on his back. While you're desperately working a failed cross collar choke, I'm doing pommel horse flares from mount and going into armbars. This is to say nothing of the application of ring work into an open guard when your opponent stands. Let's just say, no one has been able to pass the iron cross!

This is the second post that I have read by you where I literally laughed out loud. Even if you aren't joking, it's still funny to picture.

I'm doing it next school year for one of my classes.

What specific exercises? I'm sure some more than others. I saw some fucking amazing headstands in those videos....crazy.

Most will create space awareness, but we did cartwheels, forward and backrolls and flips as part of warmup among others.

I was (and still somewhat am) a gymnast for 4 years. It has been easily the most beneficial skillset I have acquired to mesh with my bjj
Posted via Mobile Device

Ive been working hard on my handstands, cartwheels, round offs etc in the garden recently, feel like a 10 year old girl doing it but I don't care, was tired of being shit at them when we use them as a warm up at bjj. I'm looking into some adult gymnastic classes over the summer with the hope that I can improve my pitiful upper body strength. Also bid for quite a few of the womens gymnastics Olympic tickets as I reckon its pretty cool to watch aswell.

I did as a child but recently started back up. Excellent overall workout to compliment your Jiu-Jitsu.

I was (and still somewhat am) a gymnast for 4 years. It has been easily the most beneficial skillset I have acquired to mesh with my bjj
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you elaborate more?? So did you advance alot quicker in BJJ????

Recently I started gymnastics while also doing lifting and I am now 100% sure that gymnastics is probably one of the best things to do while also doing BJJ, your corestrength and upperbody strength get trained like nothing else. Anyway, I'm obviously still a noob at gymnastics and I only train once a week atm, obviously not enough but i'd like to make out of it what I can. We have free training with a guy that is really good and he will answer your questions if you got any, but its not really training, everything is there and everyone does what they want.

Now my question was, are there any specific gymnastics routines that people follow while training? I could really use any advice that would help me use my time more usefull. Thanks

If you're still interested I can PM you a bunch of workouts and routines I use with my training. I'm a little late finding this thread.

I'm an NCAA Rings Competitor. I've been doing gymnastics since I could walk for the most part and I'd like to help some fellow Sherdoggers.

Gymnastics is a great sport (and one I spent 15 years doing), but there are sports that are far more applicable to BJJ and MMA than gymnastics.

If you were already a high level gymnast, and started doing BJJ, you'd find that the core strength, flexibility, balance, and training "ethic" developed in gymnastics would help your BJJ. But if you have zero gymnastics background and are already over the age of 18 or so, you're better off just doing something else. If you're over 18 and thinking of starting gymnastics, my advice is Don't -- the possibility of significant injury is huge.

Don't get me wrong, gymnastics is a great sport - great for fitness, and lots of hot women in it (bonus!) -- but it would take you a long, long time (as in 5 to 8 years) to learn anything in gymnastics that would translate over into BJJ. Wrestling, Judo, etc. would take far shorter.

Back