Gym/weight training confusion

Joshua1991

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello all I'm pretty much writing to ask what I should be doing in the gym? My trainer says technique technique technique. And that I don't need no weights if my technique is perfect! But I see videos an stuff of ufc fighters weight training, so I know I need some gym! I had been going before but confused myself reading so much stuff on the internet. And now idk what I should be doing in the gym so I've basiclly quit going! I don't work out an get slow, or real big and weak. I can't find anything really on a full mma weight training routine! Does any one have any advice or know of a good program for weight training for mma?

What is your goal of going to the gym?

If it is to be strong, you would be best off training the way strong people do.

This is best accomplished by following a good program, learning the proper technique for the lifts (as always, it's all about technique), and being consistent.

There are several good programs in the FAQ, likely one of them fits your training schedule. If you have more questions, there are a great many knowledgeable people here, many of which are quite strong and some of who train for other sports (boxing, wrestling, MMA) who will likely be able to answer those questions. That being said, most of those questions and answers are covered in the FAQ for this sub forum.

Whether your going to compete in MMA or not you should really build a nice base of strength and form first, say 4-6 weeks of basic lifting. Something like
Monday- Bench press---dumbell side lateral---bench dip or dip machine---planks
Tuesday- Chin up---reverse pek dek machine---standing alternate dumbell curl---low back extension
Wednesday- rest
Thursday- leg press/squat machine---leg extension---leg curl---standing calf raise---tibialis raise (opposite of calf raise
Friday- hit chest/shoulders/tri/ab workout again
take weekend off or do simple steady state cardio
start the next week with the back/bis/low back workout and proceed from there.

Joshua, this:

Whether your going to compete in MMA or not you should really build a nice base of strength and form first, say 4-6 weeks of basic lifting. Something like
Tuesday- Chin up---reverse pek dek machine---standing alternate dumbell curl---low back extension
Wednesday- rest
Thursday- leg press/squat machine---leg extension---leg curl---standing calf raise---tibialis raise (opposite of calf raise

Is basically what you don't want. Just a bunch of lifts listed together, no set or rep scheme, no explanation of purpose, ect. You want to avoid the classic Mens Health style routine.

And this:

Muscle confusion is what you want.

Is just people screwing with you :)

Read from the FAQ. Build a basic strength base with heavy compound lifts and sensible set/rep schemes. For example, 3 to 5 sets of 3 to 5.

A strength base is easily acquired. Do a 2 day split from the FAQ or run starting strength over 2 days and you'll be fine.

Do as many skills classes as you can.

That's all.

Thank you all for the info. I do have a decent strength I think for my weight at 145,my deadlift is 325 bench 235 squat 275 and I'm not sure about overhead press. I was just curious should I be doing anything for explosiveness? Or just stick with the main compound lifts in the 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps? No high rep stuff or anything? Or should I be doing any kind I tire flipping or or hitting a tire with a sledge hammer or anything like the mma training motivation videos on youtube?

10264286_739706706081799_8303755827484338055_n.jpg

Thank you all for the info. I do have a decent strength I think for my weight at 145,my deadlift is 325 bench 235 squat 275 and I'm not sure about overhead press. I was just curious should I be doing anything for explosiveness? Or just stick with the main compound lifts in the 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps? No high rep stuff or anything? Or should I be doing any kind I tire flipping or or hitting a tire with a sledge hammer or anything like the mma training motivation videos on youtube?

You can certainly learn the Olympic lifts and their variations, they are well worthwhile. Even the power-clean and power-snatch, hang-clean and snatch, ect are very well worth learning, as many strength training programs include them anyways (or substitute things like Bent over Rows for them).

I can't tell if you have a program right now, but you should start following one. There are several in the FAQ.

Sledge work, tire flipping, sled pushing, hill sprints, ect are great conditioning. If you need to improve your strength-endurance these are good choices.

So... you've never really trained before yet at 145lbs can DL 325 and bench 235? The squat @ 275 isn't really standoutish for your weight being untrained, but the others?

Stick with compound lifts, do Starting Strength, I think it starts you off at 2 day splits, but I could be wrong. Keep improving your squat, DL, bench and press. Be consistent, don't miss days and you're 145lbs, eat like a horse.

I've been going to gyms for over a decade and the only untrained dudes that could squat 275 and bench 235 have to weigh about 300 pounds.

Shit, the majority of 145-pounders that train hard don't hit those numbers.

I've been going to gyms for over a decade and the only untrained dudes that could squat 275 and bench 235 have to weigh about 300 pounds.

Shit, the majority of 145-pounders that train hard don't hit those numbers.

Like I said I have been working out just not recently because I've been confused of what to do. But I think I've got a good idea now, thanks to every one and I'll be reading the FAQ's when I get off of work and I'm also 145 pounds at only 5'6 tall if that makes a difference

Wednesday- rest

Ignore posts like this.

Read the faq.

What? Leg press or squat machine?

Ya know, something like the 45 degree leg press or the cybex squat machine. This guy is a total beginner, there is no way in hell I would recommend freeweight squats, deads, or any of the more advanced or technical or heavy lifts to a complete beginner. I gave him a nice basic regimen just to get his muscles and cns firing.

Joshua, this:

Is basically what you don't want. Just a bunch of lifts listed together, no set or rep scheme, no explanation of purpose, ect. You want to avoid the classic Mens Health style routine.

And this:

Is just people screwing with you :)

True I guess I shouldve listed a bit more detail like sets n reps nsuch. But the TS didnt mention til later that he had a good base already. But if your gona tell me a total beginner should be doing all the staples like deads, squats, cleans, etc thats just wrong. Everyone likes to preach that but its not always applicable, even to intermediate lifters. And for a newby its dangerous. 4-6 weeks of easier stuff is a good idea.

If you cant be trusted to learn basic form on the big three I'm surprised you can shift your attention away from eating glue for two minutes to type a post on sherdog.

Ya know, something like the 45 degree leg press or the cybex squat machine. This guy is a total beginner, there is no way in hell I would recommend freeweight squats, deads, or any of the more advanced or technical or heavy lifts to a complete beginner. I gave him a nice basic regimen just to get his muscles and cns firing.

This is completely backwards thinking. You don't want a lifter to build up some strength and then try to learn how to squat with heavier weights, that's a recipe for injury. Teach them the lifts when they are weak and the light weights will still be enough stimulation to get stronger. By the time they get up to using heavier weights their body will have adapted to the movements and they will have better form.

Back