Gym karma

Keiwil

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought id share a lesson that i learned about a year ago.
Ive learned that strength training is not just physical training, its a test of character.
The more you learn the more you should help others with their training. Dont judge a book by its cover.Someday you will be in a position where you need advice from more experienced lifters.

This is what happened
Andy was a new in the gym or maybe i had never noticed him before.
He seemed to have a hard time with other people in the gym. He was awkward,
had a stutter and seemed to lack self confidence.
People would often push him aside and tell him to train somewhere else because he was in the way.

One day i was doing my usual 5x5 workout when Andy gathered courage and asked me a question: "How should i train to become stronger"
I tried to avoid him because i was tired of people asking me dumb questions, especially when i was in the middle of a big lift.

Trying to hide my frustration i sized him up and said "well what exercises are you doing now?" He answered that he didnt know what they were called but he needed to strengthen his back, upperbody and legs.
I showed him some simple excercises like kettlebell swings and reverse hypers with a yoga ball just to get him of my back.

Some time progressed and i was surprised that he was still doing the excercises i i had showed him. I walked up to him and asked how he was progressing.
He said that the excercises were good and wanted to learn more.
I gave him a simple 5x5 program and helped him with his squat, deadlift and benchform.

After about a year he was still doing the 5x5 program and his strength and self esteem had gone up significantly. For example he could benchpress nearly double his weight.
He was happy that i had helped him and he told me that when he talked to me the first time his life was a mess. He had been in a car accident, doctors told him his back would never be completely healed. His parents had moved to a different country and he had no direction in his life. After that I didnt speak to him for some time. But recently i met him and he told me that he was running alot because his dream was to be a worldclass runner. He had trained hard and was a top runner in the country. It didnt surprise me because he had the determination and heart of a winner.

Recently he has helped me out with my running which has helped me alot. i have lost weight, improved my GPP and im closer to my competition weight.

Thats a cool story man.Glad to hear that you gave him some good advice and he is excelling now.Im kind of a introvert I guess you would say at my gym,I usually have my MP3 going and I just bust ass,but if someone has a question I usually try my best to help them out.Just like you said though about individuals,you cant always judge a book by its cover.

Good read.
It's great when you give advice and it helps others not only in the strength department but on so many other levels.

Good story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I don't think I'd hesitate to offer advice to anybody that politely asked for it. Unfortunately, when I lift I have my headphones on at full blast, am covered in chalk, and wear a constant scowl. I'm not intimidating by any means but I don't look altogether friendly either.

Hopefully, one of these days I'll find a good gym where people try to give each other advice and motivation.

tl/dr

Does Andy still keep in touch with his parents?

How do you go from car accident / not knowing anything to training to become world class runner.

Good job Andy.

oh dear. there is hope for me then :0

How do you go from car accident / not knowing anything to training to become world class runner.

Good job Andy.

im assuming that all elite runners do very little to no strength training because there training is cardio based therefore he would not know much about dead lifts, bench ect..

Good job Andy.

Determination and persistance, weren't you listening?

On a side note- my easier squat session today turned into a 'find a random old person trying to squat in the smith machine and show him how to free squat properly'.

I think the poor fella had been reading H&F or something as he kept talking about the article he had been reading.
He ended up going from 100kg on the smith for whatever depth that was, to sets of 5 with 10kg and the bar and sitting back onto a box.

I feel better about passing on the knowlegde (even if I think I scared him a little, I'm passionate, what can I say).

im assuming that all elite runners do very little to no strength training because there training is cardio based therefore he would not know much about dead lifts, bench ect..

To be fair, if he was involved in a car crash, one would assume the strength training got him on his road to recovery so he could be the elite runner in the first place.

Quik, you've got the timeline wrong.
Car crash-calisthenics-weights-running

Back