Gym in Chiang Mai, Thailand that does NOT charge "foreigner" prices??

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by slonights, Jul 24, 2010.

1. slonights

slonights Green Belt

I'm currently living in Chiang Mai and will be here for close to one year for school and work.

There are plenty of gyms, but the problem is all of them charge around 8,000 baht ($250 US) per month. I know for a fact most Thai people make around that much for a month of regular work, and there's no way that's what they pay. That's also almost 3X what I pay for rent.

I already have an apartment and am not a competitive fighter, just a guy who wants to get in better shape and learn a new MA a few days per week. I don't want a fancy gym, just a few bags and a ring is fine.

If anyone knows of any schools that don't charge foreigner prices and could let me know I'd really appreciate it!!!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. guilineseguy

guilineseguy Black Belt

You might have to go to a smaller place to find that. I pay roughly 15 dollars a month here in China. But thing I have noticed in my travels in Asia. Most places are going to try and charge you an outrageously higher price than locals.

3. cyriljd

cyriljd Banned Banned

Bro if you stick with one gym and tell them in advanced you will stay a year (and commit to it) then they always do give discounts, i think 8000bhat a month is very reasonable if you train once or twice a day, most gyms that see many foreigners charge many many times more than that.

I dont really understand the phrase (foreigner prices) because there is no such thing as (local prices)....because thai people do not pay to train! Thai people live in the gym and train and fight for the gym and then the gym compensates itself by taking half of their prize money when they fight....so if your gym has strong competitive thais fighting then those thais are paying back to the gym easily more than 8000 bhat a month in prize money cuts and trainer bonuses and betting wins.

I am in Bangkok and the best way to get cheap training if you are competitive is if you cut them the same deal, you dont miss any training and train really hard and make a promise of not drinking/partying/screwing around since that is an essential promise from wich they determine wether you are serious or not.....and tell them to set you up with fights and take half your money! I know foreigners who train for free using this deal in bangkok! i dont see why you cant do the same.

Just remember that Thai gyms really judge a fighter strongly by their out-of-gym activities, so if you party alot or even a little or have a girlfriend...even if you win 100 fights in a row by KO literally they will always say that you are slacking because you have an element of fun in your life and that you can do better. I hear them say this daily about a German guy who is married!! he keeps winning in Lumpini but they always say that he couldnt block that one punch or he seemed a little tired because he is screwing his WIFE!!!

4. whitesport

whitesport Brown Belt

Who is it if i may ask?

5. cyriljd

cyriljd Banned Banned

ill send it to your PM cause i dont want him freaking out when somebody meets up with him in Bangkok and sais (hey man i read about your marrige sex killing your muay thai performance it was on the net)!!

6. slonights

slonights Green Belt

Thanks for your responses guys, I wasn't sure if I was going to get any for this post : )

I guess when I say foreigner prices I'm assuming that there are some locals who want to casually train for fitness/fun and aren't really interested in 2X day intensive training...maybe around 3-4 times per week. But hey I'm relatively new to Thailand so if you say that's generally how it works everywhere I'll take your word.

Is 8000 baht a month really reasonable though?? I trained at Fairtex in San Francisco for around half that...which included unlimited use of the gym including any class w/ Gilbert Melendez, Jake Shields, Dr. Knee, etc.

I was hoping for something cheaper but it sounds like everyone is pretty serious about training.

Here's hoping I can luck out w/ something...thx again for the advice.

7. Sanchoy

Sanchoy muay thai ownage

Yes what was said above is true.

Remember Thai's see you as a money machine. They believe since you are there in their country you should have money. If you don't have money, then the next interest will be can you make them money.

You will rarely find a thai gym for free. the only way they will get in for free is if you fight for their gym, however like what was said you have to repay them when you fight for them (your fighting purse). When you don't make any money no more, they kick you to the curb.

8. sfortune85

sfortune85 White Belt

Dude. 8,000 a month?! I paid like 15,000 for 2 weeks at 13 coins (training, a room and 2 meals).

The only gym I know in Chiang Mai is Siam no 1. A made a friend in Bangkok who trained there and out of Siam's school in Canada too:

Siam No. 1 Gym, Sankampaeng, Chiang Mai : My Muay Thai

9. slonights

slonights Green Belt

Thx for the link.

8,000 does not include housing, meals, etc...just twice a day sessions.

Sounds like over here it's all or nothing...your options are be a pro fighter, pay an arm and a leg, or don't fight at all.

Unfortunately for me I'm just a guy who wants to work out a few times per week, not compete.

10. anorak

anorak Brown Belt

do they not have a walk in rate for one session rather than having to pay for a whole months worth of twice a day?

11. whitesport

whitesport Brown Belt

Fighting Spirit in Bangkok offers one month with accomodation for 12.000, that

12. slonights

slonights Green Belt

13. slonights

slonights Green Belt

Yes a lot of places do, starting at around 800baht (about $25) per day. Not too bad if you come here with a lot of money.

14. TruSkool

TruSkool White Belt

Hey fellaz,

I haven't been to this gym, but one of my former trainers is the one who started it. His name is Chon and the gym is called "KC Muay thai".

Chon was my trainer in Phuket, where I was for 6 months. Chon is a legit trainer. While not a lumpinee or radjadamnern champ, he is a great coach/trainer.

In fact, he is one of the trainers featured in Erich Krauss and Glen Cordoza's Muay thai instructional (if you don't already know Erich and Glenn are big MMA writers who do most of the pros ghost writing for biographies and instructionals). Not to mention both are very skilled in their standup so they chose Chon for a reason.

KC Muay thai is the gym that Chon started after saving and grinding it out as a trainer at other gyms. He's a little dude, but he holds the mitts great and is a great with teaching technique (boxing and MT)

Here is the link:

KC Muaythai Chiang Mai Add article name

It sayes accommodation and training (no food) is 2250 baht per week. Not bad if you ask me.

Check it out

15. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

That seems high. Most places here in Phuket are 400-600 for two sessions a day.