Gym Idiots VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't you worried about dumb asses busting your plates?

Aren't you worried about dumb asses busting your plates?

Sometimes I do wonder, but then, I haven't seen them being used for anything potentially damaging yet. Exception is one mentally disabled chap who will use them for deadlifts, bumpers first, then 20s. He uses them for about every single exercise he does, because they're "bigger". Other than that, have yet to see them being abused. Did find them out the back door one day though...

Sometimes I do wonder, but then, I haven't seen them being used for anything potentially damaging yet. Exception is one mentally disabled chap who will use them for deadlifts, bumpers first, then 20s. He uses them for about every single exercise he does, because they're "bigger". Other than that, have yet to see them being abused. Did find them out the back door one day though...

They were probably fed up with people using them on the smith machine and were trying to run away.

They were probably fed up with people using them on the smith machine and were trying to run away.

The 2.5 lb plates at my gym are like this, socks in the dryer!

Yesterday I saw a squat where he took the weight out backwards, not facing the rack. I was pretty scared for him, but since he was half-squatting less weight than my 115lb girlfriend, I figured he would be okay. I guess he wanted to practice his backing-in parking?

I own precisely 4 x 10kg bumper plates, which I keep at the gym. If there were plenty of plates, it would be less of an issue. I also constantly find them on the Smith machine, which grinds my gears.

Lock them up. There are a few guys at my gym that have 2x 50kg plates, and 2x farmer's walk handles chained up to a (rarely used) floor rack.

Lock them up. There are a few guys at my gym that have 2x 50kg plates, and 2x farmer's walk handles chained up to a (rarely used) floor rack.

I would, but I encourage female clients who can't deadlift 60kg plates to use bumpers, so they get used to pulling from that height, and I know they do follow their programme, even when I'm not around.

So this didn't happen at a gym but at a party last night. Met a compulsive lier who;

*Is in the top 5% of genetic athletes out there
*Has the potential to be 100kg/220lbs at 4-5% body fat
*Boasts a 165kg/365lb incline bench press
*Says he was in the top 10 people in New Zealand for sprinting
*Didn't do squats very much because he didn't want to ruin his legs for sprinting, but had a pretty good squat at 140kgs/310lbs. (Hah, please)
*Took himself from 78kgs/170lbs to 92kgs/200lbs at 7% body fat within 8 weeks.
*Made one of his clients go from 75kgs/165lbs at 7% to 85kgs/187lbs at 7% bodyfat at 52 years of age
*Claims to be able to make ANY client he works with as talented as the elite athletes out there.
*Says he is getting really into crossfit style training.

All of this was coming from a 175cm/5'8" and what looks like a chubby 85kgs/187lbs, and from a guy who atleast claims to have a triple major degree and is a personal trainer at Les Mills (Franchise Gym).

I fed his ego, oh boy did I feed his ego.

So this didn't happen at a gym but at a party last night. Met a compulsive lier who;

*Is in the top 5% of genetic athletes out there
*Has the potential to be 100kg/220lbs at 4-5% body fat
*Boasts a 165kg/365lb incline bench press
*Says he was in the top 10 people in New Zealand for sprinting
*Didn't do squats very much because he didn't want to ruin his legs for sprinting, but had a pretty good squat at 140kgs/310lbs. (Hah, please)
*Took himself from 78kgs/170lbs to 92kgs/200lbs at 7% body fat within 8 weeks.
*Made one of his clients go from 75kgs/165lbs at 7% to 85kgs/187lbs at 7% bodyfat at 52 years of age
*Claims to be able to make ANY client he works with as talented as the elite athletes out there.
*Says he is getting really into crossfit style training.

All of this was coming from a 175cm/5'8" and what looks like a chubby 85kgs/187lbs, and from a guy who atleast claims to have a triple major degree and is a personal trainer at Les Mills (Franchise Gym).

I fed his ego, oh boy did I feed his ego.

You should have challenged him to a tapout match, and shown him who was the Alpha male, Brah.

There is a guy who works as an instructor at a Healthcity gym in my city. He used to work in Macdonalds and is now as much in shape as when he was in Macdonalds. He once showed people how to benchpress on the smith and got stuck and the ladies had to get him out.

corporate fitness gym classes, stuff like Healthcity, Planetfitness, etc teach
aka the gyms with no grunting, no judging etc...

I was more asking which specific gym... And for what it's worth, the Les Mills on Taranaki Street in Wellington has about 6 power racks, at least as many platforms, great quality old-school leather heavy bags of varying sizes, shapes, and a full-sized boxing ring. Not your usual globo gym.

I was drifting around the local Shopping Mall while my lady was trying on clothes at her favorite retail store.

I come across a store where I come across a hat.

Just as I go to pick up the hat, a sales associate asks if he can help me with anything. I politely decline and turn back towards the beloved hat that had caught my eyes.

The SA then interrupts my hat viewing time with questions on if I was from the area, what my favorite "style" is in the store (dafuq?), and bullshit like that.

I explain that I'm from about 30 minutes away and just shopping around until my grappling class begins.

He then asks if I train MMA and before I answer tells me a story about how he choked someone out at a barn fire until they were motionless. I politely (yet awkwardly) compliment him on his story and explain how I am enthusiastic about the discipline in many Martial Arts.

He then goes on a tangent on how his chin is made of granite because he was beat up by his brothers and how he knows hybrid jiu jitsu but prefers to fight on his feet because "that's what men do!".

Having given up all hope of viewing the f*cking hat in peace, I awkwardly leave.

I was drifting around the local Shopping Mall while my lady was trying on clothes at her favorite retail store.

Just as I go to pick up the hat, a sales associate asks if he can help me with anything. I politely decline and turn back towards the beloved hat that had caught my eyes.

The SA then interrupts my hat viewing time with questions on if I was from the area, what my favorite "style" is in the store (dafuq?), and bullshit like that.

I explain that I'm from about 30 minutes away and just shopping around until my grappling class begins.

He then asks if I train MMA and before I answer tells me a story about how he choked someone out at a barn fire until they were motionless. I politely (yet awkwardly) compliment him on his story and explain how I am enthusiastic about the discipline in many Martial Arts.

He then goes on a tangent on how his chin is made of granite because he was beat up by his brothers and how he knows hybrid jiu jitsu but prefers to fight on his feet because "that's what men do!".

Having given up all hope of viewing the f*cking hat in peace, I awkwardly leave.

Should have embarrassed him by making him tap out to a Mir-Lock

Yesterday I saw a squat where he took the weight out backwards, not facing the rack. I was pretty scared for him, but since he was half-squatting less weight than my 115lb girlfriend, I figured he would be okay. I guess he wanted to practice his backing-in parking?

Lol, I did this in my first form vid I ever posted on here. Believe it or not, that wasn't the most embarrassing thing in that video!

The bamboo bar offers some instability, it does not flop around like overcooked spaghetti whenever you go near it.

Yesterday I saw a couple of guys squatting in the power rack. No warmup, 1 guy put 245 on the bar and the other guy spotted him. This was a full-on buttfuck spot, hands on breasts and hips thrusting forward each rep. The guy squatting was groaning and his knees were bending about 30 degrees each rep, and he was getting pulled up and pushed forward from behind each rep. After the 4th rep the spotter said "rack it!" but he screamed "one more!" and did another assisted rep.

At the same time, I was on a bench and the other bench was taken by a couple of guys. One guy had the bar loaded and was sitting on the bench. They had been there since before I was. The other was on one knee and for 30 minutes they did a total of 1 set. The rest of the time was a religious debate; the guy kneeling on the floor was trying to convert the guy on the bench to Christianity. So they took up a bench in a crowded gym for 30 minutes so he could evangelize.

SHould have challenged him to a TapOut match!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back