Gym Idiots Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
What.

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying; getting strong too quickly is bad because then it becomes harder to get even stronger? That is almost full retard.

If getting stronger is not your goal, then why are you doing any strength program, even as a supplement to an athletic activity?

Please explain what you are trying to say. I hope what you are trying to say is that if you are, say, a swimmer or a competitive cyclist, developing extra muscle might actual harm your performance more than the extra strength gains help, or that maximal exertion is not particularly beneficial in your particular sport. The extent to which this is true is another question entirely, of course.

What I meant was the time to take your squat from maybe 100lbs to 350lbs is minimal and easy/predictable, compared to then taking it from 350lbs to 400lbs, 500lbs etc. So there becomes a point where obviously 400lbs squat would benefit you, but not to the detriment of the time it takes to get there, vs your previous work to get to 350lbs. I did not mean there's no point getting to 350lbs cause you can't get further as fast, unless lifting is your only goal.

technically, I would say that the first part of this is somewhat true. (aside from the fact that the diminishing returns do not occur very quickly at all, and especially not to the point where it wouldn't be worthwhile to continue)

It does eventually lead to diminishing returns... but how this is a "problem" is beyond me :icon_conf

The problem is there isn't time to train everything, so why a general athlete, or in this case competitive swimmers, needs to train to massive numbers for reasons more than ego is beyond me.

What in the world is your athletic background that you have such a bias against strength training and don't understand that being strong is almost universally useful. The "nice idea Mark" bit makes me inclined to think this whole account is a troll. He posted (non-ironically) in one of the other threads to not strength train because you will be big and bulky.

I never said that, there is strong for your sport ie strong enough, then 'too' strong in the sense that to get there you have to sideline everything else. This will vary from person to person dependant on goals.

Talking of goals, if you'd actually bothered to read the thread I posted that in, the OP's primary goal was with not gaining weight while improving general conditioning. He was 15 with no lifting experience, he was recommended starting strength, so hardly trolling to tell him that is gonna make him add mass. If I wanted to troll I'd have told him he's too young to start building muscle because his body is focusing all its energy on puberty.

What I meant was the time to take your squat from maybe 100lbs to 350lbs is minimal and easy/predictable, compared to then taking it from 350lbs to 400lbs, 500lbs etc. So there becomes a point where obviously 400lbs squat would benefit you, but not to the detriment of the time it takes to get there, vs your previous work to get to 350lbs. I did not mean there's no point getting to 350lbs cause you can't get further as fast, unless lifting is your only goal.

So you are agreeing athletes should train strength...

I got another good one.

This odd nerdy guy comes in the gym in fucking sun glasses and regular clothe. Like regular clothe as in a baggy polo and some old jeans. Guy looked like a straight nerd.

Anyway, it was late in the afternoon and it was dark and he still has his glasses on. Guy start to train, doing the most outrageously stupid work outs in his sun glasses then out of no where he goes to the stretching area and start to practice baseball bat swings, jump shots for basket ball, and really sloppy round house kicks. (in sun glasses and regular clothe while in a hardcore lifting gym)

I'm looking at this guy like "wtf" and then he did the funniest shit ever!

He stands like 4 inches away from the mirror and pulls a lighter and start to wave it around his face while he made retarded smirks at him self. Kind of like if he was practicing the "Blue Steel" from Zoolander while waving fire around his face. Everybody at the gym was looking at him and it didn't phase him.

I live in Miami, so maybe he was on bath salts??? lol

A woman brought her portable metal fan today and had it on top of the reclined bike. It had no blade guard, and looked heavy. I couldnt stop thinking of the Final Destination movies.

So, my training partner brings his foam roller to the gym every day, and he leaves it right next to his bag in one of the gym's designated "personal stuff" cubby areas.

...And someone decided to foam-roll with his foam roller today: there he was, rolling away, right there on the floor, right in front of my training partner, without ever asking. It's not uncommon for the kids at our gym to use our chalk without asking, but rarely do they walk up and start using our equipment.

Also, a few days ago, someone tried to take Babyeater's squat rack, and when she informed him that she was using it (she was a foot or so away setting up her camera), he responded with, "sorry, but I didn't see your name on it" before high-tailing it out of there. I didn't witness said incident, but news of it made me want to hurl a 45-lb. plate at his larynx.

Also, a few days ago, someone tried to take Babyeater's squat rack, and when she informed him that she was using it (she was a foot or so away setting up her camera), he responded with, "sorry, but I didn't see your name on it" before high-tailing it out of there. I didn't witness said incident, but news of it made me want to hurl a 45-lb. plate at his larynx.

For some reason I read this as Lynx.... which would've made the follow up story very entertaining. :icon_chee

Not so much a gym idiot situation but a idiot gym situation. I used to go to the cheapest gym in the area and it was pretty basic. The only gripe I had with it was the dumbbells only went up to 80LB. Well this gym called planet fitness isn't a fan of yelling, dropping weights, or bodybuilders (although they call themselves a "judgement free" zone) and the other day I was doing deadlifts and I wasn't doing heavy weight, I wasn't dropping anything, and I wasn't yelling. I was told I am not allowed to deadlift there. This is a few days after joining. I stormed out and cancelled the membership when I cooled off because I was PISSED.

motivator85d52baea6f2b091eaa8d5df4ec0bfb8970dad12.jpg

Actually, I think I do. He must have watched this video.

Well shieeeeeeet, here I was thinking he was doing some pre-katy perry concert warmups. Turns out he's trying to gain teh strength and teh size, silly me.

I think I win this thread.

List of infractions:

1) Wearing a gas mask whilst lifting.
2) Having luminous suspender things attached from his (suspender) belt to his (running) shoes. These appear to have the effect of 'keeping him on his toes'.
3) 1 x set of Deadlifts using the grips on the plates rather than the barbell.
4) Then using a double underhand grip, 3 failed attempts to deadlift around 140-150kg.
5) Having finally deadlifted 140-150kgs he then performs 3 of the most miserable Rows I have ever seen. This actually looked like he was copulating with the barbell (this was surreal given his outlandish attire).
6) Drops the weight from the deadlift position.
7) Reaps adulation from ill informed bro's and holds conversations whilst still whilst still wearing gasmask/suspender combo.

P7brp.jpg

Last edited:

List of infractions:

2) Having luminous suspender things attached from his (suspender) belt to his (running) shoes. These appear to have the effect of 'keeping him on his toes'.
4) Then using a double underhand grip, 3 failed attempts to deadlift around 140-150kg.
5) Having finally deadlifted 140-150kgs he then performs 3 of the most miserable Rows I have ever seen. This actually looked like he was copulating with the barbell (this was surreal given his outlandish attire).
7) Reaps adulation from ill informed bro's and holds conversations whilst still whilst still wearing gasmask/suspender combo.

P7brp.jpg

funny-gifs-kittens-first-jump.gif

List of infractions:

P7brp.jpg

This might be the most cold-blooded, devastating thread-ender I've ever been witness to. Amazing.

Now kill him.

This might be the most cold-blooded, devastating thread-ender I've ever been witness to. Amazing.

Now kill him.

I'm actually hoping that natural selection will take care of that for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back