Gym and mma?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by EvilTimmy, Aug 10, 2016.

1. EvilTimmy

EvilTimmy White Belt

Hi guys
    Got a question here
    Am a gym freak and training 6x a week now sometimes 5 and am deciding to do mma/krav maga too
    I work in shifts so only 1 week i would do gym and mma
    The mma lessons are mondays/tuesdays(krav maga) and thursdays
    Would this be too taxing?
    I swim aftee my gym workouts sometimes too or cycle a bit outside

Thanks in advance guys

2. Flash_Monsta

Flash_Monsta Black Belt

Well if you've got the time to do all that then awesome. As for it being too much, as long as you're eating enough and getting sufficient sleep then you might find you'll be alright. If you start feeling run down then take a deload week if you don't feel like stopping.
    Eat like a beast, bruh.

3. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

You need to build it up, I train similar, but it took time for me to build up to be able to handle it. I am on a bulk, so the added calories is what carries me though, no way am I able to do this while on a deficit (cut)

I do PPLx2, and 4 of those 6 days I train MMA/MT/BJJ at nights (AM/PM schedule). I have to adjust the training though. For me, no striking on the same day as a pull day, I've done it before and felt cramps/spasms in the upper back; No grappling of any sort on leg day. Went against a spazz, and matched his pace. On a wheelbarrow sweep, I felt like my already worn out hamstrings were going to tear.

4. EvilTimmy

EvilTimmy White Belt

Thanks for the responses
    Think I'll start when I am gonna bulk then, right now cutting maybe only positive is that the week i work the night shift i just do gym and swimming so my body rests that week eventually since I would only be doing mma and km 3x/week on the morning shift
    Training routine is split
    Chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders, legs, arms abs every 2 days ans calves too

But when doing arms i throw in 2 chest exercises and 2 back and sundays I do a small extra leg workout 4 exercises max
    Will try and start next month and see what it gives

5. cincymma79

cincymma79 Gold Belt

If you're 20 you can do anything, 30 most things, 40 1 or 2 things, 50+ 1 thing

That all assumes you aren't genetically gifted or on a shit ton of drugs or both

At 23 I ran 3.5 miles every other day, lifted 4 days a week, did mma for multiple hours at least 2 days a week, worked full time and went to college full time. Then reality slowly set in on mr

6. Jack Handy jr

Jack Handy jr Silver Belt

damN YOU SOUND LIKE MY DOPPLEGANGER LOL