Guys whats wrong with my lower back? Am I screwed?

I had back cramps and pain till I went to see a doctor once. He he told me it was tight back muscles and gave me like a months worth of muscle relaxers and it went right away. It's weird cause I thought for sure I had really fucked something up cause it felt like it was on the spine and around the lower back. I avoided seeing a doctor for a couple months first which wasn't very smart.

You should get looked at by a doctor. Once you feel better you should do some form of exercise that is good for your back. If you play guard a lot that can be a cause of your issues. As already mentioned, you may need to strengthen your abs. I do the exercises on the ball shown in this video and it helps my lower back. It starts around 3:50

Its not pain per se, just this dull aching and stiffness and general discomfort. Its lower back, not exactly centered on the spine, but a little to the side.

Sometimes feel like there is an air bubble putting pressure, or wanting to just crack my back and relieve the pressure.

What is that? I'm 37 and so far have been extremely lucky with BJJ injuries especially training 5 or even 6 days a week. I'm terrified any day now my luck will run out and I will get one of these seemingly inivetable long term or even permanent injuries and I can't train for a while.

I dont need anyone to sugar coat it, just want it straight up if you know what I have or have had it yourself

Thank you
Don't be terrified just be quick about getting a diagnosis and what ever it is let it heal. Don't be dumb try to work through it. On the grand scheme of it all it will be worth it to take time off the matts

Also do you stretch/foam roll at all? And I don't mean a little bit before and after practice but instead like full on mobility sessions. Tight hips can make your back feel like it's going to snap as they tug on the lower lumbar.

I had pretty similar pain a few weeks ago. I continued training normally, then suddenly felt sharp blinding pain when doing a triangle.
I just booked flights and accommodation to Lisbon a while ago, I wanted to compete in IBJJF Europeans.

I decided to do MRI to make sure there's nothing serious. The MRI revealed a herniated disc. Doc told me that it's okay to compete as long as the symptoms aren't getting worse.

Lower back pain is another word for gluteal weakness.

I have had some lower back issues.

Look at your hamstring flexibility. I have very tight hamstrings, and when I let myself get stacked or play inverted anything I tend to allow the flexibility to come from my lower back, which increases the risk of the discs compressing on the inside, bulging on the outside.

Stretching and strengthening has generally improved this to where I can keep training. I use defrancos limber 11. Deadlifts and other compounds.

It was so bad at one time I couldn't load the dishwasher without either going to my knees or balancing on the counter and bending to the side instead of forward.
I also developed sciatic pain, referring down into my left knee.

BJJ is so bad for your health man

They feed u this shit about how it's a lifestyle that suits everyone, but nah it doesnt

BJJ is so bad for your health man

They feed u this shit about how it's a lifestyle that suits everyone, but nah it doesnt
It's definitely caused me injury I wouldn't have had without it but it's also kept me generally active in periods that I've neglected other aspects of my physical training.

start deadlifting

start laying on your stomach, and doing reverse crunches or whatever the hell theyre called

stretch out

problem solved

also what helps both my back and my shoulders is just hanging from a bar

I have spurring on my lumbar vertebrae from a car wreck so I have some experience with this. I do some specific stretching, like taking my belt in my jands and using it to pull my toes toward me to stretch hamstring and groin, all the way up the chain to my back. I also dead lift and do weighted reverse crunches specifically to strengthen my lower back muscles as a preventative measure. Hope this helps!

If you train in a contact sport, I think chances are 90% that you will eventually have some type of back problems. I guess the best thing is stretching, core exercises, and for me swimming.

If you aren’t doing yoga start there. Once a week is all I do and I am seeing benefits.

Deadlifts, Renegade rows, planks, oh my!

Back