Guys whats wrong with my lower back? Am I screwed?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Its not pain per se, just this dull aching and stiffness and general discomfort. Its lower back, not exactly centered on the spine, but a little to the side.

Sometimes feel like there is an air bubble putting pressure, or wanting to just crack my back and relieve the pressure.

What is that? I'm 37 and so far have been extremely lucky with BJJ injuries especially training 5 or even 6 days a week. I'm terrified any day now my luck will run out and I will get one of these seemingly inivetable long term or even permanent injuries and I can't train for a while.

I dont need anyone to sugar coat it, just want it straight up if you know what I have or have had it yourself

Thank you

will likely get worse if you don't rest or strengthen it assuming it's from excessive training and not structural damage

take a break or increase your protein/food consumption, get a stronger back

Heal. Then strength train. I have far fewer aches and pains since strictly enforcing a twice a week lifting program that includes solid foundation lifts plus plenty of pulling movements and some prehab exercises (focus on hips and shoulders).

Heal. Then strength train. I have far fewer aches and pains since strictly enforcing a twice a week lifting program that includes solid foundation lifts plus plenty of pulling movements and some prehab exercises (focus on hips and shoulders).

Isn't strength training / lifting actually bad for back injuries?

will likely get worse if you don't rest or strengthen it assuming it's from excessive training and not structural damage

take a break or increase your protein/food consumption, get a stronger back

**** me. I can't afford to have long term injury like this.

Lower back bulged disk l4-l5, this shit is keeping out of training now, it’s getting worst to the point I might have to consider stop training in a couple of years. It’s sad, but hell life goes on, I wouldn’t be able to see a future for me without bjj a couple of years ago, now... well like I said, life goes on

Sorry to go Rogan on you but do kettlebell swings. I had a sore lower back all the time at work, from drums, or even just sitting on the damn toilet but since gradually increasing the weight of KS it seems to be completely gone

Lower back bulged disk l4-l5, this shit is keeping out of training now, it’s getting worst to the point I might have to consider stop training in a couple of years. It’s sad, but hell life goes on, I wouldn’t be able to see a future for me without bjj a couple of years ago, now... well like I said, life goes on

How did that feel ? Was it painful or just a dull ache and pressure ?

Sorry to go Rogan on you but do kettlebell swings. I had a sore lower back all the time at work, from drums, or even just sitting on the damn toilet but since gradually increasing the weight of KS it seems to be completely gone
But do spine stretches first. Upward dog, downward dog mainly

How did that feel ? Was it painful or just a dull ache and pressure ?

Extremely painful, sometimes I can barely walk... this happens to me 2 times a year... this last time, it wasn’t like any of that, but a constant pull on both sides, kind of my hip...

Honestly OPs discomfort sounds like overworked spinal erectors from weak abs. But should still get a doctor's opinion. Be wary of the fact that MRIs almost always show *something*, which may or may not be related to the pain.

I fucked my lower back from doing too much kettlebell swings and/or doing them wrong. Backs are weird, try everything I read and half the stuff people said helped them made mine worse and half the stuff people say are bad made mine better. In the end planks and lots of psoas and hamstring stretches is what made mine better. Maybe I should have just gone to a physio therapist.

Honestly OPs discomfort sounds like overworked spinal erectors from weak abs. But should still get a doctor's opinion. Be wary of the fact that MRIs almost always show *something*, which may or may not be related to the pain.

My weak, pathetic abs are probably to blame. You are right :(

Extremely painful, sometimes I can barely walk... this happens to me 2 times a year... this last time, it wasn’t like any of that, but a constant pull on both sides, kind of my hip...

Ok thank God I obviously dont have that.

Strangely enough, after about 5 hard rolls today (nogi) for some reason, my back feels much better. Almost like the rolling loosened it up or something

Look at how you're sitting. Have something similar sounding popping up off and on for me lately. I'm 99% sure it's from many hours in my chair at work with slightly too short armrests. Makes me end up sitting sideways crooked.

Probably your hips. You can prolly figure it out with a good look at youtube. If you have a desk job it definitely might be ur hips

Back