Guys using the gi to block your breathing?

kintana

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was rolling last week and I fought this guy in my weight class during training. We ended up in side control with me on bottom. He switch to hon kesa gatame, the judo pin position.

He took his gi and covered my mouth trying to make me stop breathing.

I managed to escape. 2 days later we are in training and he does the same thing. It wasn't a choke just trying to block my airway I asked if he was trying to suffocate me he says yes.

Is this something that goes on?

I trained six years never had this submission move performed on me.

I have no problem with it but i am a pretty chilled guy. But I just dont want to perform this on someone and have them get pissed off.

You mean he actually grabbed his gi and actively tried to smother you with it?

Uh... which arm did he use to attempt that?

My coach will always try to cover my head/face with his gi when he is in mount just to make breathing harder. Not directly over my face but around my head, so I'm somewhat inside his jacket.

It's a great way to set up the Ezekiel choke from mount. When they start running out of air guys will panic and look up to free their mouth, lifting the chin.

I think it's OK to position yourself in such a way as to smother them a bit. I hate it obviously but I think it's legit.

But I don't think actually using a hand to drag gi material over your mouth and nose is OK.

Well if it makes people post anal pain on the internet, it must be effective.

I'll be training in the gi for the first time ever in a couple weeks and stuff like this makes me dread it. I respect the practicality of learning how to pull on clothes to control your opponent, but am I really training to deal with a guy.....IDK pulling his suit jacket over my face? I also get sport jiu jitsu and enjoy watching certain players. I don't know. I respect the stink palm over the gi smother. Guess it's just personal preference.

I'll be training in the gi for the first time ever in a couple weeks and stuff like this makes me dread it. I respect the practicality of learning how to pull on clothes to control your opponent, but am I really training to deal with a guy.....IDK pulling his suit jacket over my face? I also get sport jiu jitsu and enjoy watching certain players. I don't know. I respect the stink palm over the gi smother. Guess it's just personal preference.

Don't dread training in gi. I used to be a no gi guy forever and I love gi now. Plus it's fun to be a whitebelt that puts purples and some Browns to the test .

Last edited:
Haha.
Yes I've done that and had it done. Though usually I do it more as to wear a guy out. I think it's cheap, but hella funny.
It's kind of like the mount smount smother with a fat guys stomach. Or pinch the nose cover the mouth.

I train both. I don't dread either. I do prefer the gi, but no gi is fun as well.

Comedy factor makes this move a winner

I do something similiar when I'm mounting

1- Right shoulder pressure on the chin, to make them turn their heads to my left.
2- Left hand free to post, feet crossed, hips down low.
3- They can't bridge to my right (where I have no hand to post), because of the shoulder pressure. That's why my weight is slightly to my left
4- If they bridge to my left, my hand posts and stops it
5- Once they gas out bridging, left hand open my collar and I put it over the face/nose. Not to hurt the guy, just to cover his face.

It makes people panic and open up submissions. It works, it's legit and a pretty safe position.
Don't do it to hurt the mouth/nose though, that's just being a dick

This reminds me of a staple of mine from no-gi, in which I get to mount, get a keylock grip, press my knee on their bicep, and then take off my t-shirt and cram it into their mouth.

This reminds me of a staple of mine from no-gi, in which I get to mount, get a keylock grip, press my knee on their bicep, and then take off my t-shirt and cram it into their mouth.

XXX sequence there IMO.

Its fine generally if it isnt done in a ridiculous way, like the guy literally trying to smother you to tap you. I do this from low mount, mostly just use the gi to cover the face. The purpose is only to cause a little panic and cause him to move and start making mistakes out of desperation, not to tap him.

Back