Guy's that would've been champs if not for GOAT's

You read his post wrong. He's saying anyone who got a title shot that had to fight someone like GSP, BJ, Anderson or Jones would probably have gotten a belt if they didn't have to fight those guys for it or their chances of winning the belt would have gone up tremendously.

For example he's saying if Jon Fitch or Jake Shields didn't have to beat GSP for the belt they would have likely won it at least once.

Fitch or Shields would have needed to beat Kos, which I don't see.

Big Nog would have had a longer and even more illustrious title run in PrideFC had he not gotten his head thumped by Fedor.
fedor+hand+trap+big+right+against+nog.gif

I remember thinking that Nog was on another level at the time, and then Fedor happened...

Chael would have been MW champ at some point, if not for you-know-who.

Maia had the title fight before him, and we saw what happened when they fought, bad match for Chael. Plus, Henderson would still have been around, and I don't think they would have fought each other.

I don't think it was. Not if by "champ" we're talking fighters who would have an actual reign as champ. Cro Cop wasn't consistent enough to do that.

And i thought he wanted to retire after Pride?

Fitch or Shields would have needed to beat Kos, which I don't see.

I would favor Kos against them but I could definitely see either of them beating him especially Shields who has won a bunch of fights he shouldn't have on paper.(Sakurai, Okami, Henderson, Kampmann, Akiyama, Woodley, Maia and to a lesser extent Lawler and Daley since they have good TDD)

Kenny Florian and Jon Fitch for sure.

Joseph Benavidez too.

lot of guys saying fitch I don't see fitch beating hughes or kos, and yes kos hits me as the type of guy that wouldn't have too much heartburn fighting a team mate if it was for the strap.

Cro Cop, no.

Had Fedor not been around, Cro Cop still lost to Nog (and Hunt for that matter).

nog was loosing every bit of that fight till he got it to the mat, id take crocop in a rematch then and now

Muscle shark, and parisiyan ran into GSP. both had title worthy skills imo. Carlos Condit comes to mind if him and cowboy just had some wrestling.

Fitch and Florian and Chael are the first three that come to mind. Maybe Trigg back in the day before GSP became a contender (if there was also no Hughes)

Franklin would have had a much longer title reign at MW if not for Anderson

Cro Cop in PRIDE (I don't count the GP, Cro Cop was never Pride Champ)

Rampage in PRIDE

Last edited:
Going back a lil ways but maybe Maurice Smith, and pedro Rizzo always seemed to run into Randy at the wrong time.

nog was loosing every bit of that fight till he got it to the mat, id take crocop in a rematch then and now

Oh sure, but he still lost.

Not that it matters really, I'm not sure I get the concept of this thread; I think of it as "who would have been champ instead of the unbeatable champ" - basically taking his place.

As in: JDS could, quite likely, have been a long reigning champ were it not for Cain.

Cro Cop wouldn't have been the long reigning champ were it not for Fedor, as Cro Cop wasn't consistent enough.

Fitch and Florian and Chael are the first two that come to mind. Maybe Trigg back in the day before GSP became a contender (if there was also no Hughes)

Franklin would have had a much longer title reign at MW if not for Anderson

Cro Cop in PRIDE (I don't count the GP, Cro Cop was never Pride Champ)

Rampage in PRIDE

The number 1 and 2 guys beat him in Pride and I don't think there is a reason to think he would have beaten either in a rematch in Pride. I do agree that Cro Cop likely would have gotten the belt if Fedor wasn't around and would likely have beaten Big Nog in a rematch.

Oh sure, but he still lost.

Not that it matters really, I'm not sure I get the concept of this thread; I think of it as "who would have been champ instead of the unbeatable champ" - basically taking his place.

As in: JDS could, quite likely, have been a long reigning champ were it not for Cain.

Cro Cop wouldn't have been the long reigning champ were it not for Fedor, as Cro Cop wasn't consistent enough.

I don't think the TS means who would have been a long reigning champ if it weren't for the GOATs. I just think he means who would have gotten the belt period.

Back