Guys, How do you BALANCE your Training (Weights, Running, Skills etc)

Biggiebrother**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm about to get back into Muay Thai

I've spent the last 3-4 months training hard, weight training 4 days and running 4 days. My strength has gone through the roof, my punches are so much more powerful and now my cardio is back upto scratch

But even as is, i am finding it hard to balance the weights and the running. I train hard, i push myself had, i am sore from just about every weights working and i push myself running too. I think my body is already at the limit of it's recovery ability.

So if i'm looking to add 3 nites of Muay Thai training into the mix, i'm not sure how to balance it all. in addition i was looking at adding some plyometric training too

Will i have to tone down my weight training and running ?

How do you guys balance everything and not overload your body ?

That's a good question. I've started muay thai about 7 months ago and lifting weights for a while but now i'm trying to get back into it. So now i plan on doing a 3-day split monday-wednesday-friday and traingin muay thai on tuesday and thursday and sometimes saturdays if i'm to it. But that's just me.

Running and weights I can do, but when I try and throw in MT my plans often go to pot. You can't compare a 30 min run with a 2 hour thai boxing session. One is a lot more draining because of the volume then the other.

At the moment I'm trying to juggle 3 MT training sessions, 2 HIIT sessions and 1 or 2 heavy lifting sessions.
I think the key is to build up to it, sleep a lot and eat even more.
Thats what I used to do a couple of years ago when I finished uni. I got 4 months out before my body packed in on me

I try to do 2 days of lifting and 3 days of endurance training with about 4-5 days of skill training

Usually on hte lifting days thats all i do. Otherwise im working technique for about 1-1.5 hours and then i do about 20 minutes of endurance training.

Monday- technique and endurance
tuesday- lift
wednesday- technique and endurance
thursday- lift
friday- off
saturday- technique and endurance
sunday- technique and sparring

And then if i have time i like to throw in maybe 10-20 minutes of bagwork before or after lifting

I honestly only weight train about 3 days a week...But every day Ill do pull ups...ton of push ups...basic stuff where I use my own body weight...I combine this with my regular MT and BJJ training and a TON of sprints. Sprints SUCK but they make your cardio go through the roof and I love em.

I tend to cycle it throughout the year. I do a little less cardio in the fall, going into winter. I up the amount of weight training I do at that point. In late winter, going into spring, I start doing more cardio, and cut a day of lifting. I also change my lifting style to lighter weights/more reps heading into summer.

Some of you people disturb me wit your recovery abilitys

I would definately cut down the running, and the weight training to 3 days/week, on the same day if u can, lift, then run, in one session it really boosts your bodys GH levels, then save the over days for MT

Morning: Weights

Evening: Thai

Post-Thai: Run

Days Off.....run/lift whenever

Cheers guys, yep i'm definitely going to reduce my weight training to 3 if not 2 days.

Doesn't help that i am currently on a cyclical ketogenic diet to get cut. I have only the tinyiest bit of fat on my lower abs and that's it but it's driving me crazy ! I want to lose that before i go back to a 40/40/20 diet.

to save time and energy stick to core strength workouts and pylometric excercises in teh weight room.

a lot of the thai fighters at my gym dont lift weights anymore. i've heard from a lot of thai fighters that they dont lift, they just train and do exercises with their body weight(push ups, dips, pull ups). how do you guys feel about this?

its acceptable to do just bodyweight excercises, i love em. Though you do get alot of bang for your buck for heavy lifting and plyos combined. I spend like 2 hours strength training a week and it really helps

My training is broken down

Judo - 2x
MT - 2x
MMA - 3x
Lifting - 3x

I basically train hard everyday and then take Sunday off or go light. It's hard to do everything and work at the same time. I def recommend lifting just 3 times and on Saturday's double up if you can find enough time in between. Your also gonna have to have a very good diet.

I lift heavy 2 days a week. Every training day matter what im working on.Weights, boxing, cardio whatever i just do 2 sets of pushups and pullups and an ab routine.One at the begining of a workout and one at end. I stopped weight training all together for a while but i started to get to weak in the clinch and i couldn't muscle anyone around whatsoever. 2 hours of heavy weight traning a week makes a huge diffrence for me without building cumbersome muscle mass.Everyone is different but i was getting tossed around to much without the powerlifting style routine i use. i dont bodybuild i do 3 to 6 reps thats it. Anything more is to light. High reps are Push/pull ups for me. I dont use weights for looks just functional combat strength.Use low reps and u wont tighten up as much.

I do think Weight Training will help 90% of fighters, only ones IMHO who don't need to weight train are the ones with genetics to keep them naturally strong

I lose muscle mass fairly fast if i don't lift so i need to keep it up.

i dont weight train at all :(

im gonna start weight training when i start bjj agian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back