***Guys, don't ship anything valuable through FedEx***

If you guys want, I can send you his contact information. That way if you want to send a package out and you don't want the package damaged, you can send him the package, he can then package it up and send the package back to you so you can send the package out to whoever you were going to send the package to. It seems stupid but you can never be too careful.

Could he teach how to wrap a package in a way to make it theft-proof?

:p

Imagine it being 5% for a whole month, or a week, or the time it takes to ship a package one state away.

I find the aspect of being asked by the shipping company to pay for insurance to avoid any liability for their mishandling or theft by THEIR employees quite bizarre.

What was being shipped?

Never been a fan of FedEx either. I lived in the same apartment 3rd floor for about 5 years, and 90% of the things I order were from Amazon and shipped by UPS. UPS would always knock on my door and leave a note saying the package was at the front office.

With FedEx, there were a few times when they didn't even bother to go to my door. I would see online that the package was delivered on days I was home. No knock, no note, just straight to the front office. Apparently stairs are too much for their drivers. The one time they decided to climb the stairs, they left 1,000 rounds of 9mm on my doorstep.

Damn bro, If I would have only known. I would have had 1,000 more rounds today.

I used to use FEDEX and UPS all the time for business and don't think I ever had a problem, at least not often enough that I'd remember. Honestly, it was hundreds of shipments.

In terms of how my parcels were treated, my perception was always that they treated them better than the post office, because you know, government employees versus free market. Also, a friend of mine who worked for the post office used to kid around about Fragilly (the mystical land that received packages with "fragile" stickers on them).

Sounds like you had some bad luck, but I have a hard time believing it's an institutional problem with FEDEX. It's bad for the company and you have to assume they're taking steps to prevent or limit theft. I'd be willing to bet that claims and reports of theft or damage are tracked against the delivering agents.

this is when you want to call the better business bureau. i know that my local news stations have a segment where a company screws over a customer, and they receive bad press in return.

the last thing a company wants is to have their bad laundry aired out in pubic.

Should have got the insurance brah.

Yeah but the insurance should be there for accidents like a packaged dropped or something. Not because their employee's have sticky fingers and they don't seem to care.

Sadly I've worked for FedEx for about four years now so I can give a little insight. Packages get damaged all the time there is really no game planning in some facilities so light fragile packages will get sorted at the same time with packages weighing in excess of 50 lbs and they will get easily smashed and ripped open. I am not trying to defend FedEx but I will say with the fast pace that is run during each shift I don't think anyone would have time to open a package and root through the contents to find something worth stealing. On top of that you have to go through a security station on your way out which is not fool proof but still it would be hard to get something out of there. Most likely the package got damaged and the contents fell out, it was taken to quality assurance (a bit of a joke) they sealed it back up and sent it on its way. Sorry that happened to you.

this is when you want to call the better business bureau. i know that my local news stations have a segment where a company screws over a customer, and they receive bad press in return.

the last thing a company wants is to have their bad laundry aired out in pubic.

Nobody wants there laundry aired out in pubic.

What was being shipped?

Something worth around $300 retail. Fedex wanted $14.50 for insurance for something that's only shipped one state over, in addition to the shipping and packaging.

Most likely the package got damaged and the contents fell out, it was taken to quality assurance (a bit of a joke) they sealed it back up and sent it on its way. Sorry that happened to you.

The box was 12"

Paying them insurance for something they do is absurd. It makes no sense.

They don't offer free insurance and you knew you were shipping without insurance. I don't understand why you would ship a valuable item without insurance through this carrier...why didn't you just use another carrier that offered insurance that you like.

The service YOU paid for was shipping. Insurance shouldn't be mandatory just because you say so.

So it's okay for them to steal something...?

15 bucks to insure him against THEIR company fucking up and breaking or stealing his item is complete bullshit. FedEx is supposed to be the most trustworthy mail service around, or at least that's what I've heard from their commericals and from that one Tom Hanks movie.

nobody said it was okay. this isn't some sort of perfect world buddy. he used a service and trusted things to go fine and it didn't...which is what insurance is for. fucking deal with it.

Your implying that this is somehow TS's fault, and it isn't at all. This not being a perfect world is your excuse on behalf of FedEx's shady employee's eh?

What a bright fella.

In any case, I will not be seeing the next Tom Hanks movie in solidarity with TS.

Doesn't the post office do exactly the same thing with regards to insurance?

Also, it's probably a pretty complicated issue.

Couriers could just say they have absolutely no liability.

Back