***Guys, don't ship anything valuable through FedEx***

Incorrect. I am not from Boston.

Just like you're splitting hairs attempting to make me seem liable for the loss of my package, you're splitting hairs about whether you represent Boston.

I've lived here for 6 years, which is less than 20% of my life. I am not from here.

I didn't say you're liable for the loss of your package either. I said if it's important to you, you should get it insured. Is that really so hard to comprehend?

I've lived here for 6 years, which is less than 20% of my life. I am not from here.

I didn't say you're liable for the loss of your package either. I said if it's important to you, you should get it insured. Is that really so hard to comprehend?

Yes, but your vigilant support of your position make it seems like I'm responsible for it my situation.

I didn't want to be reimbursed for a lost package, I wanted my package to be delivered to its destination. So it's gone, obviously stolen, and reimbursement would have been a reasonable solution... But nope, FedEx is hiding behind legal jargon.

FedEx has had this problem, probably well aware of it, rather than launching investigations of their employees... Which would be bad PR for them... They say 'let's turn this into a profit' and offer overpriced insurance, and if the packages that aren't ensured are lost, destroyed, or stolen... It's the customer's fault for not getting our overpriced insurance.

Keep defending FedEx, MassHole, it speaks a lot about you.

Yeah it speaks volumes that I would take the time to insure something I consider important, just like the guy who said he would do the same with the $2k value stuff

I haven't defended FedEx either.

UPS does me right and FedEx brought me any empty box once like you are talking about, but luckily the shipper had it insured and it still took way to long for me to be reimbursed.

Several years ago my company shipped me a new laptop to the apartment I was staying in. I had been there approximately one week. I get a panicked call from one of the admin assts at corporate asking about the laptop as I had sent an email earlier that I hadn't received it yet. Turns out, they delivered it to my neighbor in a freaking apartment. Someone I had never met or even seen at that point. 5 days of randomly knocking on her door and leaving notes as well as speaking with the landlord finally produced my laptop. FedEx didn't leave a note for me on my door, didn't even record in their system, they had to get ahold of the driver and he said that is where he dropped it off. Their system only said it was delivered. Ridiculous.

And TS, insurance or not, you got hosed. I would think you would have a pretty strong argument that you should not have to insure yourself against theft when it is so obvious.

Yeah it speaks volumes that I would take the time to insure something I consider important, just like the guy who said he would do the same with the $2k value stuff

I haven't defended FedEx either.

By saying 'well, you should have paid the overpriced insurance rates' you're taking the liability of the situation off of them, and on me.

I'm a fan of USPS but then again I have a good mail person that comes consistently at the same time. If I have a package they'll actually knock on my door and put in an honest effort to get it to a person as opposed to leaving it on a door step. The main thing I like about them is that they come consistently every single fucking day, if I'm expecting a package I don't have to sit at home for a 14 hour window hoping they show up like UPS and Fedex. Goddamn I hate both of those companies they charge a fuckin' arm and a leg to ship anything, I don't see how it's economical for any business to use them when they charge almost 3 times what USPS charges. Plus you always get the ********** who doesn't even knock and just leaves the stupid note.

If you can't afford the insurance you can't afford not to insure it.

But I would be pissed too and chose a different company in future.

Is there some sort of government department who looks after customers you could go to?
Assuming they aren't shut down at the moment.

If you can't afford the insurance you can't afford not to insure it.

But I would be pissed too and chose a different company in future.

Is there some sort of government department who looks after customers you could go to?
Assuming they aren't shut down at the moment.

The department of consumer and regularory affairs.

I may do business with the post office for now on, but the last thing I'm going to do is complain to a incompetent government agency about an incompetent private sector corportation.

Best case senario would be nothing would happen. Worst case senario is the focus of the investigation being focused on me.

"Citizen, why are you so upset about this package, was it that important to you? What was the contents of this package?.... oh, that wasn't that big of a deal. Is it really worth that much trouble to complain to the government about?'

This thread is approaching 1300 views. If 1 out of 100 viewers of this thread are convinced to quit using FedEx, for a very very long while, I consider this topic's purpose to be fulfilled. Hopefully something bigger will happen in the future to cause FedEx to become more proactive in theft prevention of their packages, like a bad PR issue followed by a drop in stock.

Being from the UK, I tend to always Royal Mail.

Fedex, UKMail, UPS, DHL & TNT i've had problems with them all.

MyHermes is not bad.

Fedex are the worst, I had a 3D TV delivered by them, and the bloke obviously couldn't carry it on his own but attempted to, and he dropped it as he was walking down my drive. He thought I didn't see it out of the window and picked it up and walked to my door, and he lied about dropping it so i refused the delivery and rang the company i bought the TV from and they sent out a new one, this time I waited for the truck to turn up and gave the guy a hand.

Nice to read when I'm still waiting on 2 package that are late. Not Fedex though, but still.

I could see insurance for shipping breakable objects that might accidentally get damaged. But for shit being STOLEN? That is kind of ridiculous that they cannot protect the packages that they are shipping. If anyone should be insuring the packages it should be them. Or imposed a value limit of items that they will ship.

Fedex are the worst, I had a 3D TV delivered by them, and the bloke obviously couldn't carry it on his own but attempted to, and he dropped it as he was walking down my drive. He thought I didn't see it out of the window and picked it up and walked to my door, and he lied about dropping it so i refused the delivery and rang the company i bought the TV from and they sent out a new one, this time I waited for the truck to turn up and gave the guy a hand.

Great example of catching them red-handed.

I wish I had that luxury.

I could see insurance for shipping breakable objects that might accidentally get damaged. But for shit being STOLEN? That is kind of ridiculous that they cannot protect the packages that they are shipping. If anyone should be insuring the packages it should be them. Or imposed a value limit of items that they will ship.

It's happened to me quite a bit (maybe 6-7 times), I ship a lot of small expensive electronics to avoid carrying equipment on planes etc.

I've never been SOL though -either the shipper has found, reimbursed or my company insurance has paid.

Made a purchase on ebay and when I got the box from FedEx, it looked like an accordion. I was like there's no way this thing isn't damaged. I opened up the box and the dude who sent it did the best packaging job I've ever seen. He must have known how FedEx treats their mail because this thing was in pristine condition despite the fact that the box looked like it was dropped from an airplane onto my driveway.

If you guys want, I can send you his contact information. That way if you want to send a package out and you don't want the package damaged, you can send him the package, he can then package it up and send the package back to you so you can send the package out to whoever you were going to send the package to. It seems stupid but you can never be too careful.

Back