***Guys, don't ship anything valuable through FedEx***

I find it hilarious that for something so important to you, no matter the distance shipped, you wouldn't insure it.

If it doesn't matter, don't insure it. If it matters, insure it. Simple, really.

Last edited:
I find it hilarious that for something so important to you, no matter the distance shipped, you wouldn't insure it.

You really need to remove the first letter of your screename.

Why the heck are shipping companies wanting people to pay for insurance on stuff they're supposed to deliver? It's like a restaurant asking you to pay insurance to make sure your food gets there without being dropped. Or is that a bad analogy? Someone give me a heads up if so....

If it doesn't matter, don't insure it. If it matters, insure it. Simple, really.

It's kind of a blatant money grab though. You're being offered a service to ship something somewhere for a pretty good sum of money, then they tell you that if you pay us more, we'll take responsibility of it. Well, shouldn't that already be the case ?
It's almost along the lines of going to mcdonalds and ordering a meal, but having to pay extra for them to cook it too.

Every shipping company limits their liability through T&C's when choosing to ship with them. Fedex is $100 I believe.

It's not that hard to understand, guys. USPS insures for $100 automatically as does UPS.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/value_added/declared_value.html

Yes, I agree it is almost always unnecessary to buy insurance, but if it matters to you, then why not? I don't get it.

Someone fucked up/stole your stuff. You can't prove that's what happened other than speculating because there's a hole in the middle.

I shipped a camera worth 16,000 USD today FedEx across the US

I never buy the insurance because it's insane. -I have other insurance for it but the deductible is insane.

Thanks for the heads up.......Now I will sit and worry.....lulz.

You really need to remove the first letter of your screename.

Sorry to hear that ts but I'm going to be one of those^

I just had my cylinder heads shipped. The value is over $2000. I payed $100 for shipping from az to cali and back. Covered with insurance. I don't send things without insurance. It sucks that these companies suck ass and don't stand behind their service but since I already knew that I always pay the small fee for the insurance. $15 to have an item covered is not a big deal imo. It's a scam and it's bullshit but that's how it is. Just ship insured.

Oh forgot to add, I bought something worth around $500 on ebay. The item got damaged big time and I got my money back. Insurance was worth it for me.

Sorry to hear that ts but I'm going to be one of those^

I just had my cylinder heads shipped. The value is over $2000. I payed $100 for shipping from az to cali and back. Covered with insurance.

That's fine. But out of curiosity, did you choose FedEx or the post office?

And that's not a horrible price because it was insurance for both ways. But would you have as joyfully paid $100 insurance for one way, and then another $100 for return shipping?

Send a bunch of shipments with GPS devices in them, uninsured. Find out who's opening the boxes. K-ll them.

Why the heck are shipping companies wanting people to pay for insurance on stuff they're supposed to deliver? It's like a restaurant asking you to pay insurance to make sure your food gets there without being dropped. Or is that a bad analogy? Someone give me a heads up if so....

This would be a great theme for the topic, think of similar analogies like this.

Imagine buying a car through EBay motors. It's a great deal, you talked to the owner, checked out acouple dozen pics, watched a few videos of how it runs, and you think $5,000 is a great price. You just know the car is within a 5 hour drive of where you live, but not exactly where, but the guy that sold it to you will promise to drive it to you without crashing it, for $250 extra.

Send a bunch of shipments with GPS devices in them, uninsured. Find out who's opening the boxes. K-ll them.

Sounds like something FedEx should be doing.... Sending thousands of these shipments with tracking devices per year.

But that would cut into their insurance profits.

This would be a great theme for the topic, think of similar analogies like this.

Imagine buying a car through EBay motors. It's a great deal, you talked to the owner, checked out acouple dozen pics, watched a few videos of how it runs, and you think $5,000 is a great price. You just know the car is within a 5 hour drive of where you live, but not exactly where, but the guy that sold it to you will promise to drive it to you without crashing it, for $250 extra.

That is a terrible analogy.

You're a fantastic representative of Boston.

This made me LOL. Just because your analogy is no way similar to having Fedex break your package doesn't make an asshole.

"Oh hey guys, I had a bad experience because I didn't fully insure something I care about when it was going into someone else's possession. I'm not going to tell you what it is, but just trust me, they stole it! I can't prove they did, except that I think the box was ripped open."

That's fine. But out of curiosity, did you choose FedEx or the post office?

And that's not a horrible price because it was insurance for both ways. But would you have as joyfully paid $100 insurance for one way, and then another $100 for return shipping?

To be honest a shop sent them so I'm not sure who they go through but I had to pay for it.

It was $100 including the shipping. The thought of something breaking or getting stolen with a value of over $2000, yes I would have paid more for the insurance. Sucks to get bent over like that but if something did happen and it isn't insured... fuck now i'm out $3000 for brand new ones with upgrades. I would go aftermarket and it would likely cost me more like $3500 to replace. So yeah I woulda paid an extra if that's what it took.

About 3 years ago, I had 5 brand new specialty cameras worth 40k a piece disappear under DHL's control.

They claimed they were delivered until I showed them video footage of the driver's delivery where he dropped off 2 small boxes at the door.

The boxes all said "high resolution professional camera" or similar and other impressive tag lines on the box but they were absolutely useless to the person who stole them because you can't even put lenses on these without going through a special dealer who was alerted -you can't even sell them on Ebay -they would stick out so fast. Everyone in my industry knew to look out for them being posted or offered these cameras -the dragnet was in place.

So magically the 5 boxes showed back up 2 weeks later -only after the value was disclosed and the driver who claimed they were delivered was on the hook for the entire amount. Also as predicted, one of the boxes had been opened -so basically the driver saw "high resolution professional camera on the box, thought he could sell them, opened one up to find they look nothing like a camera you could sell on ebay, then found out I had video and was on the hook for 200k, and magically snuck them back into the DHL system to avoid charges and fees.

DHL is shady.

This made me LOL. Just because your analogy is no way similar to having Fedex break your package doesn't make an asshole.

"Oh hey guys, I had a bad experience because I didn't fully insure something I care about when it was going into someone else's possession. I'm not going to tell you what it is, but just trust me, they stole it! I can't prove they did, except that I think the box was ripped open."

Of course it was stolen, the box was a cubic foot, and I taped it shut along every edge. It arrived completely wrapped in plastic wrap to hide the hole in one of the sides. The hole was clearly large enough for the contents to be removed, leaving only the internal cushioning.

Clearly theft.

And dude, you're from Boston. Don't make it seem like your jimmies are russled so easily.

Worked at UPS for a summer when I was 18 and find it hard to believe it's possible to steal stuff. Had to walk through 2 metal detectors and get "wanded" every day. I suppose it depends on the security personnel handling the gate. But then again anything that can't fit in your pocket would be pretty obvious. If anyone stole anything it would have to be a driver or a supervisor. Pretty awful you had to deal with that TS, I always use USPS just because I know what to expect.

Back