***Guys, don't ship anything valuable through FedEx***

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Three weeks ago I sent a very valuable item to a company one state over for a quick upgrade, and I used my shipping company of choice... FedEx. It was in a ordinary cardboard box, with evidence of what it encloses. They offered insurance for the item, which was a laughably high ammount... around 5% of the item's value... I know companies make billions off getting customers to pay for unneeded insurance and extended warranties.

Acouple days later the company called to report they recieved the package, and it was completely wrapped in plastic to cover up the huge hole in the box, large enough for the valuable contents to be stolen... and then wrapped up to cover up any theft.

I asked if the company has had a history of recieving packages like this, she said it's happened more often than they'd thought it would. And I asked if it happened more often with a particular shippping company, she replied that FedEx usually handles around a quarter (25%) of their recieved orders. Then I asked how many of their ripped up packages with the contents removed were from Fedex... she replied with about 4 of every 5 packages (80%) of stolen contents were of Fedex... wow....

So, I just got off the phone with FedEx, and they avoided any questions i had about any investigations they've had toward their handling employees. They've sent me a bare-bones check that they've legally to send to anyone that sent a package that wasn't recieved, and the FedEx's representative's cryptically said 'Well, you should have got insurance.'

Furthermore, since they wouldn't say about anything about an investigation, I asked how could this loyal customer trust them with shipping another package. They said 'Well, if you're a loyal customer, you know these type of incidences are rare.' And that was their whole arguement that I should keep being a customer for them.

My bad experience is my warning to you guys.

I'm a free market capitalist, but this is the first time I'm been screwed over by a private company so bad I'm completely cutting off all future service to them and going with the cheaper government service.

Fuck FedEx, War PostOffice.

Cliffs:
-Valueable package arrived with contents obviously stolen by a Fedex Employee.
-Reciever of package explained the overwhelming majority of packages they recieve with the contents removed were from FedEx.
-FedEx hiding behind non-answers and legal jargon.

Best response:
"Oh you should get insurance."

Logically, shouldn't the company shipping it out be liable for it since it's their service?
But nope, gotta pay extra to cover their stupidity.

Last edited:
Honestly I would get the cops involved. Clear case of theft and if they aren't going to take it seriously to weed out the thief then go through other channels.

I use UPS when I ship because Fedex always, and I mean ALWAYS, tosses the packages I receive into my yard with my two barking, snarling dogs that are obviously going to piss on and chew up my stuff
UPS leaves them under the car in my driveway with a note in the mailbox
UPS>>>>>>Fedex

You know you can increase the insurance amount on the shipment if it is so valuable....

Never been a fan of FedEx either. I lived in the same apartment 3rd floor for about 5 years, and 90% of the things I order were from Amazon and shipped by UPS. UPS would always knock on my door and leave a note saying the package was at the front office.

With FedEx, there were a few times when they didn't even bother to go to my door. I would see online that the package was delivered on days I was home. No knock, no note, just straight to the front office. Apparently stairs are too much for their drivers. The one time they decided to climb the stairs, they left 1,000 rounds of 9mm on my doorstep.

You know you can increase the insurance amount on the shipment if it is so valuable....

Do you know that they offered insurance, and the cost of that insurance was 5% of it's retail value?

Imagine getting insurance on your new car, and it cost 5% of its value.

Do you know that they offered insurance, and the cost of that insurance was 5% of it's retail value?

Umm, I bought a new truck for $22,000. Annual insurance is around $2400. I get a 43% discount for years of safe driving, but not everyone does.

And that's not a one time payment. That's every year. Have you ever insured a car brah?

Based on your initial paragraph, I thought you meant they offered insurance that only covered 5% of the actual value - I took it as a snide remark. My bad.

If it's a $100 item and insurance is $5, what's the big deal? If it's so valuable, why not pay for it?

I don't get it.

Umm, I bought a new truck for $22,000. Annual insurance is around $2400. I get a 43% discount for years of safe driving, but not everyone does.

And that's not a one time payment. That's every year. Have you ever insured a car brah?

Imagine it being 5% for a whole month, or a week, or the time it takes to ship a package one state away.

I find the aspect of being asked by the shipping company to pay for insurance to avoid any liability for their mishandling or theft by THEIR employees quite bizarre.

I side with you TS.

These carriers suck balls.

Logically, shouldn't the company shipping it out be liable for it since it's their service?

Based on your initial paragraph, I thought you meant they offered insurance that only covered 5% of the actual value - I took it as a snide remark. My bad.

If it's a $100 item and insurance is $5, what's the big deal? If it's so valuable, why not pay for it?

I don't get it.

What if it's $500, and the insurance is $50 for an item that should take 2 days max to deliver?

You don't like USPS? I used to send packages about once a month to my ex gf in England when she was studying there and we've never encountered a problem and USPS is cheap.

I don't get it.

Why should he have to insure something from being stolen by employees of the company he is paying to ship it?

That is nothing more than a scam. It is pretty clear they have a thief within their staff and it would not be hard to catch them because they keep stealing off the same people.

If you paid for a company to do something and knew their employees stole something from you and you complained and the response was to do nothing, how would you feel about it?

You don't like USPS? I used to send packages about once a month to my ex gf in England when she was studying there and we've never encountered a problem and USPS is cheap.

USPS sucks too. They all suck.

It's like they all just stopped caring how beatup your package will be as long as it gets to the destination.

Sometimes I get to writing and I write too much, my point is hard to read amongst the paragraphs. But this was a perfect summary of my opinion.

Its so good, I'm adding it to the OP.

What were you shipping? Or is that top secret information?

I smell bullshit. FedEx charges 85 cents for every $100 of declared value.

USPS sucks too. They all suck.

It's like they all just stopped caring how beatup your package will be as long as it gets to the destination.

At least they get to their destination, without falling victim to a thief employed by the shipping company.

Back