Guys...Ask Your Honest Opinion...

canam123

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Wondering if any of you could give me some perspective...

I am 36 years old, 6'3, 240 lbs, 12% body fat (roughly) and I have been training for several years. I tend to have good strength and stamina during general conditioning training.

However, when I do Bas Rutten Thai Boxing (full power) on the heavy bag (10-2 min rounds) it is hard to make it through all ten rounds. I'm dragging my A$% by round 6-8.

Do any of you have a hard time with the Rutten workouts on the heavy bag or is it my conditioning.

Thanks!

I never had an issue with the ten 2 min rounds, but I was doing it shadowboxing and not full power obviously. What I was doing is a lot different than hitting full power on a heavy bag. I think the best conditioned athlete could tire themselves out with ten 2 minute rounds if they were really going at it on every strike.

It's all about pacing. It's physically impossible to go at 100% for the entire 10 rounds. If you dial back your power back to say 50% you will be able to do it with no problem, the challange of course is finding a pace that is challenging but also maintainable.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish from measuring yourself compared to other people. You give a pretty poor description of what your current conditioning level is (and I'm sure even in great detail it would still be inconclusive).

If it works you out and challenges you, I would keep it in your routine and look at it as a gift and a goal, rather than a mark of shame like some obstacle you're embarrassed you can't clear.

What DrB said.

The Rutten rounds are very "dense" (you barely have time to complete a combo before the next one). It is physically impossible to do 10 2-minute rounds like that at 100% intensity. Even more so for a dude your size.

What DrB said.

The Rutten rounds are very "dense" (you barely have time to complete a combo before the next one). It is physically impossible to do 10 2-minute rounds like that at 100% intensity. Even more so for a dude your size.

Yea, shit. If you were really going 100% intensity with every single punch/kick and there was non stop combos. It would be extremely hard to do more than a few rounds.

Hell, I gas out after 2, 3 minute rounds of doing that.

Thanks for the replies! To answer some questions:

- Yes, my body fat ranges anywhere from 12% (in shape) to 14%-15% during holidays, etc. I carry most of my muscle in my legs ( I look about 225 lbs)

- My training consists of 2 days a week muay thai, 2 days Rutten workout and 1-2 days of extreme kettlebell cardio DVD (Joe Rogan recommended)

- Glad to see other guys think the workout is tough

- Not comparing myself to anyone else...just trying to guage my conditioning level and how tough the Rutten workouts are with other people's experience

- Pacing is a great idea...just have to resist the urge to go full out as that is what Rutten tells you to do in the program

Thanks Again everyone

I've seen professional fighters puke doing 3 x 3 minute heavy-bag rounds, with 15 second sprints on, 15 seconds off. Nobody can go 100% for 20 minutes straight. Despite what Rich Franklin's team tells you. Lol.

Yes sir pacing. At your size you dont really see even elite fighters go all out for that long.

maybe also your breathing. It sounds corny but personally I make sounds(its like exhaling while saying something; look at buakaw when training for example) especially when I throw a power strike. Learned it watching top fighters in Thailand. It works for me.

Back