guys 37 and older question

37 in a couple of months and it varies on my work schedule and what i'm getting ready for. almost everyday doing some type of s&c work. 4-5 days a week grappling, with one day being a two a day.

it means lots of recovery tricks to help me in between the workouts.

Recovery tricks? Ice, supplements? Please share.

37 IN THE HOUSE!

I use to try and train 5 times a week (BJJ or MMA) when I first started at 27, after 35 I had two major injuries right after each other. After I recovered I now never train hard two days in a row and I feel so much better and have been injury free. It was one of the toughest things Ive done (getting old is a bitch) but my body just was not liking the old schedule. I try to hit the mat Mon Wed and Sat, and then throw in a yoga class or a light gym workout on my off days. Been doing this for the last year and am feeling great.

Really miss being a mat Rat but to reverse the Rock Star quote "better to fade away then burn out :]"

Changing Jits gyms helped me a lot. The new one has shorter classes and is less intense.

37 and train 3 days stand-up (2 MT and 1 boxing) and 2 days jujitsu (1 gi and 1 no-gi). I never train two days in a row, the stand-up and grappling run back-to-back the same day. 1 or 2 off days i hit the gym for cardio and weights.

Jeebus you guys are hardcore. I'm 42 but between work, family, my wife's work schedule and kid's extracurriculars etc. I average about 1 day per week of Jits training.

I would love to be able to consistently do 2 days a week.

I'm with you on the hands. The day after a hard class my hands feel arthritic.

37 years old and 4 times a week like clockwork. Occasionally make 5. Was doing 6 days not that long ago (not currently due to recent reductions in class schedules).

Recovery tricks? Ice, supplements? Please share.

lots of stuff that i have learned along the way has helped. the three biggest have been eating a lot cleaner, stretching, and getting just the right amount of sleep (as in not too much or too little.). then things like ice baths, recovery workouts, listening to my body as when i should work out really hard or take it easy, a glass of wine in the evenings, and other little things that help me recover both physically and mentally.

I'm 40 and work out -

Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat
4 x BJJ
2 x Judo
3 x strength training - weekly

*TRY to Roll at 50% strength and a CALM MIND reguardless, work more technics
( Im working on this!)

* Drink Water mixed Gatorade during class
*Ice both my shoulders and lower back while driving back home from gym.
(keep cooler in car) blue ice packs.
*Rolling my body on a foam roller at home
* 40 G. whey protien with 5 G. glutamine withing the Hour after workout
*Ice hands from heavy GI gripping - 1 min on 1 min off total 10 min.

For Recooping on non training days:
Light workout, running, yoga, streching etc.

I found this helped me deal with the soreness (DOMS) otherwise its too tough to keep up with the younger partners.

35 years old - I usually train no gi three times a week, stand up two times a week, lift 2-3 times a week and climb 2-3 times a week. Doubling up is hard, but eating properly and hydrating well seems to help.

Last weekend I took a takedown class, MT, then rolled for an hour, had lunch, lifted, and then climbed!

Then I went home and died.

Had to take a few days off after that.

:icon_sad:

Just turned 41 yesterday. I average about three times a week.

Sometimes I only get in two, and every now and then I put in a four or five class week. But three a week seems to work best for me.

38 and twice a week when work permits. Am a noob and really feel old after some of the rolls. Plus the years of self abuse are more evident now. Shoulder makes funny sounds. Neck cracked like rice crispies the first day I rolled. Left Achilles gets tight as a cable anytime I cool down.

Fun stuff, this getting older shit.

38 and go twice a week when not traveling. Try to mix in a couple of days of cardio and strength training when not rolling.

37, that is a rather specific number/age...something special happen at that age that i am not aware of:icon_chee

Why are you asking man? Just for info, or to gauge your own training?

Back