Gustafsson's element of surprise

Element of surprise is huge, kind of Art of War type of stuff. That probably will be a factor, but maybe now Gustafsson has even more confidence and that fire has lifted him to new heights. We'll see. But still would have to lean towards Jones. But if Gustafsson wins it's no shocker this time around.

It's gone.

1. Jones isn't falling for the surprise takedown element Gus used to win round 1.

2. Jones isn't going be surprised by the hand speed of Gus. I suspect Jones will be super aggressive and not let him fight from the outside.

3. Because of Jones being the aggressor and eager to shut fans, Gus, Dana and media up, I believe he'll score takedowns like we thought he would in the 1st fight with a more pressure/Judo-centric gameplan.

4. Jones will finish and worn out Gus by the 4th round.

5. Cormier will defeat Jones ala Cain/JDS 2 and defend against the winner of A. Johnson/Lil Nogs injury replacement in 2015.

6. Deal with it. (No this isn't my troll account)

Agree with everything except for the Lil Nog injury replacement.

1. Jones isn't falling for the surprise takedown element Gus used to win round 1.

2. Jones isn't going be surprised by the hand speed of Gus. I suspect Jones will be super aggressive and not let him fight from the outside.

3. Because of Jones being the aggressor and eager to shut fans, Gus, Dana and media up, I believe he'll score takedowns like we thought he would in the 1st fight with a more pressure/Judo-centric gameplan.

4. Jones will finish and worn out Gus by the 4th round.

5. Cormier will defeat Jones ala Cain/JDS 2 and defend against the winner of A. Johnson/Lil Nogs injury replacement in 2015.

6. Pat Cummins will avenge his lone loss and become the champ until he retires.

7. Deal with it. (No this isn't my troll account)

I agree with most of it. In theory jones have all the advantage this time relative to last fight.

But Gus have shown great improvement rate so far if he improved from last fight than he can take it.

It's gone.

While I do think that Jones will beat Gus more soundly this time around Gus does NOT want to fight from the outside. What he wants and where he easily beat JJ is in middle (Boxing) distance just to far away for Jones Elbows and greco clinch - but to near for his kicks.

Saying one will destroy the other is pretty rediculous
If you remember Jones was going for TDs when he could they were getting stuffed

Were gonna be treated to another war

I think that Gus will try to lock up Jones in the clinch and throw knees and dirty box him. Gus is going for the finish this time stronger as well. I think that Jones will try to use more elbows this time around as well.

6. Deal with it. (No this isn't my troll account)

Was all I read and I decided I don't give a fuck about what this guy thinks.

But, I did make the same case after the fight. I thought Gus caught Jones by surprise... but Gus is a good fighter. Much better than I thought going into that fight. I got Jones via decision.

Gus' biggest problem is going to be defending against the eye pokes/fingers in the face, or whatever you wanna call it.

People forget that Gus was on his way to winning that fight until that jesus elbow in the 4th round with like 40 seconds left. If Gus avoids that elbow he wins round 4 comfortably and wins the fight.

Gus was being the better fighter in that fight until he got rocked by a lucky/low percentage spinning elbow.

People forget that Gus was on his way to winning that fight until that jesus elbow in the 4th round with like 40 seconds left. If Gus avoids that elbow he wins round 4 comfortably and wins the fight.

Gus was being the better fighter in that fight until he got rocked by a lucky/low percentage spinning elbow.

That's like saying Gustafsson only got the take down in the first round because Jones decided to throw a kick with no follow up. If Alex hadn't of gotten the take down the round could have gone to Jones. Same with the glancing blow cut.

He lost the surprise, but he also now knows he can beat Jones.

Regardless I forsee Jones doing a Wall-n-Stall strategy.

He walled and "stalled" glover pretty well, I could see him trying that kind of strategy again.

Also, for discussion purposes, what do people think Gus will do differently this time around?

Be more aggressive, He was clearly hesitant at times in that fight.

I get what TS is saying and I think this is going to decision again, both guys have amazing chins so I don't see a knockout happening.... JJ might sub him if he gear the chance but I doubt that too since Gus has improved grappling

Gustafsson is the faster developing fighter, this is his first period of being able to focus full time on MMA for more than a year, this will really help him if this rematch goes to the championship rounds. Jones will be looking at a Gus that isn't slowing down and who keeps throwing combinations with no regard for the takedown of Jon whos attempts will ultimately only serve to tire Jones out.

That's an analytical conclusion for you to remember TS!

Back