Gustafsson vs Mousasi *Official for Stockholm*

I believe they do, but it has been clear for years that the UFC also has a ton of respect for Mousasi.

Great fight.

Obvious respect there. They gave him a good stylistic match up. If they wanted him embarrassed, they could have given him a wrestler like Rashad.

Why are they putting this on Fuel? What a bad way to introduce Gegard and a bad way to promote Gust. This shouldn't be on Fuel.

I hope Gegard trains his ass off and makes a good debut

This is a good test for both. But I can already see shertards claiming that the loser was never that good.

Very interesting fight. However, I'd like to see Gustafsson fight Roger Gracie one of these days.

Unless Hoger comes back to LHW, that won't happen.

While Gracie has looked good recently, a fighter with good wrestling (TDD) and striking is his Achilles Heel. I think Gus fits that bill. He can also match up well with Gracie's large frame.

Good fight, I'm surprised Mousasi is getting such a highly ranked opponent for his first fight.

Obvious respect there. They gave him a good stylistic match up. If they wanted him embarrassed, they could have given him a wrestler like Rashad.

I'm not so sure this is a good stylistic match-up. Shogun would be better IMO. He and Mousasi have similar styles (good striking, good BJJ bottom game but mediocre wrestling, strong chins). However, Shogun has a lot more wear & tear and has turned into a brawler, while Mousasi still uses strategy and technique.

I think Gus' size and wrestling gives him a slight edge over Mousasi.

I'm not so sure this is a good stylistic match-up. Shogun would be better IMO. They have similar styles (good striking, good BJJ bottom game but mediocre wrestling, strong chins). However, Shogun has a lot more wear & tear and has turned into a brawler, while Mousasi still uses strategy and technique.

True, a former champ on the decline is always a more favorable match-up than a young hungry killer on his way to a title shot.

...at least they gave him a striker though.

Sick sick fight..I really hope no one gets injured for this. As for me, I've been following Gegard forever now but I think he is the underdog in this fight. Alex just beat shogun, Gegard just beat mike Pyle, big difference in competition. Can't wait to see this.

perfect match making.

cs5-preview.jpg

joe-silva.jpg

just perfect.

Gus is in trouble. Mousasi has top shelf striking and defense. And Gus doesn't have the wrestling to pose a threat to Mousasi. Mousasi takes this by TKO.

Glad to see this much support for Gegard. I would have thought people would disregard him considering his somewhat disappointing SF performances. In all honesty however, Gustaffson should be pretty much at an advantage anywhere, save on the bottom. I don't see the "Dreamcatcher" being able to work past Gusta's reach, and I sure as hell don't see him scoring takedowns/clinch trips.

And may I also state that I hope to be terribly wrong, Gegard Mousasi is such a cool guy on so many levels.

Gus by equal skill + size & strength

Mousasi is probably my favorite current fighter, but I do worry about his size at 205 in the UFC. He truly is a MW who just isn't in the mood to cut weight.

The dude has serious skills though, and isn't intimidated by anybody. He is one of the most confident athletes I have ever seen. Anybody who fights him will have their hands full, and better be prepared to put their wrestling and submission defense to work.

Edit: I am also a big fan of Gus, so while this is a fantastic scrap, I have mixed emotions about it. I would be really interested to see Gus get a shot at Jones, but won't be able to cheer for him in this one. I suppose he will get there eventually regardless if he is as good as I think he is.

Back