Gustafsson to headline event in Sweden April 6th

Mousasi would be excellent! Except I hate to see either of them lose.

Phil Davis rematch at home sounds dramatic.

I have a feeling it will be Mousasi,

In which case i see him winning it 29-28 on account of Mous still not back to his best from since his lay off and not being aggressive enough.

In a way I hope Mous and Alex fight so Alex can beat him and encourage Gegard to go back to MW where he belongs

I think Cormier is going to hang around HW just a bit longer than some people are thinking. There is bigger money to be made at HW. He'll beat Mir, and then possibly have a chance to fight Overeem, Dos Santos, Nelson, Struve, etc. It's going to take Cormier some time to make a healthy cut to 205 considering his past struggles.

He is already saying he is planning to move down after the Mir fight. He already called out Jones and said he wants the next title shot.

In regards to a healthy cut, he is losing weight. For the Bigfoot fight, he was 247, for the Barnett fight, he was 238, and he has a history of fighting in the high 230s and up in the 240s. For the Staring fight, he weighed in at 230. So he is already adjusting his body for the drop to 205. Jones fights Sonnen in April. If Cormier fought Jones next, he has until probably late summer to early fall to lose any extra weight. His problems in the past are from unhealthy more frequent weigh cuts. His past struggles shouldn't be an issue.

Do you really think Cormier gets a shot without one fight at LHW? (As I type this I see Sonnen, ha) - but Cormier's never fought LHW, has he? Why not have him beat up Phil Davis on Fox for our entertainment then give him the shot?

Frankie Edgar is getting a shot at Aldo in his first FW fight. I'm all for him taking a warm up fight at 205, but I'm also all for him fighting Jones first time out as well. Either way.

But I don't have any desire to see a Jones/Machida rematch. So unless Hendo wins, I don't think there are any LHWs who are in a better position or more deserving than Cormier (if he beats Mir).

Exactly my point. Why would the UFC risk Jones losing to Cormier when the Cormier hypetrain is only just getting started. Give Jones a few more winnable fights over Henderson and Gustafsson then have him fight Cormier.

He is the champion, and one of the best champions the UFC has ever had. He doesn't need winnable fights, he needs challenges. I think Cormier is the best suited to give him the toughest challenge. The only person I think deserves it more is Hendo (if he beats Machida).

Great post man. You beat me to it. I have the exact same thoughts. However, as an alternative to Mousasi, i also have Glover taking his slot, if he has an impressive showing against Rampage, and then i have Mousasi facing Rashad Evans (when Evans beats Big Nog next month). However, what you laid out makes the most sense. If Cormier loses to Mir though, he should not face the Mousasi/Gustaffson winner in a title eliminator right away. That is where we slightly differ.

I want to see Glover fight Manuwa. I know it's a step down from Rampage, but I've wanted to see that fight for a while now, even before either guy was in the UFC. If Manuwa beats Diabate, I'd like to see that fight whether Glover wins or loses to Rampage. If Diabate beats Manuwa, I'd rather see Glover against the winner of Jimmo/Te Huna.

Now that I think of it, I don't really want to see Cormier against Mousasi or Gustafsson, at least not now. I like watching those guys against other strikers. So either of them against Hendo or Machida sounds fun. But Cormier would just take them right down. Maybe if Cormier loses to Mir, put him against the Machida/Hendo loser or against Rashad. Even better, IMO, Vinny Magalhaes. His BJJ vs Dan's wrestling sounds like a fun fight. Then maybe put Glover or Feijao in the mix instead.

i hope so. the mousasi fight makes no sense. it's better to have guys who haven't lost to jones yet fight other guys instead of each other.

I disagree. If Mousasi and Gustafsson fight, it's not like the loser never gets a title shot. He just needs another win or two to rebound and be back in the mix. But if you put all the guys who haven't got shots yet only against guys who have already had their shot, what happens if they all lose. Then you're stuck with only rematches. But when you put two new guys against each other, at least you know you are guaranteed to have a new challenger.

Back