Gustafsson to headline event in Sweden April 6th

^with 3 top 10 wins at HW assuming he beats Mir? ya i think he gets a shot right away. I mean he could easily be next in line at HW if Cain wasnt holding the title

I think Cormier is going to hang around HW just a bit longer than some people are thinking. There is bigger money to be made at HW. He'll beat Mir, and then possibly have a chance to fight Overeem, Dos Santos, Nelson, Struve, etc. It's going to take Cormier some time to make a healthy cut to 205 considering his past struggles.

no .

jones may be biggest UFC draw not named Silva,GSP or Sonnen.

And after Sonnen fight and whole TUF he'll be even bigger draw.

If Machida wins a boring decision over Hendo... it'll probably be a Gus v Machida title eliminator.

ok explain this to me then

1. Event on April 6th. Machida vs Hendo is on Feb 23rd, so they would wait within 6 weeks of the event to announce the headliner...?

2. If Machida wins a decision but injure himself, what then? Mousasi? What if he already has another fight booked by then? Waiting until Feb 24th to find a plan for the headliner might very well come back to bite zuffa in the ass.

3. Machida is REALLY the type to take short notice fights...yup.

No way Machida vs Hendo fights Gus on April 6th, they will have announced the headliner for Sweden way before Machida and Hendo actually fight.

forrest griffin is my guess. big name, exciting brawler sometimes grappler. easier of the big names for gusto to beat in sweden. too many ppl thinking about great matchups imo instead of realistic ones.

no .

jones may be biggest UFC draw not named Silva,GSP or Sonnen.

And after Sonnen fight and whole TUF he'll be even bigger draw.

Exactly my point. Why would the UFC risk Jones losing to Cormier when the Cormier hypetrain is only just getting started. Give Jones a few more winnable fights over Henderson and Gustafsson then have him fight Cormier.

forrest griffin is my guess. big name, exciting brawler sometimes grappler. easier of the big names for gusto to beat in sweden. too many ppl thinking about great matchups imo instead of realistic ones.

This is my prediction as well.

For those saying Hendo or Machida, do you really think they will fight Feb 23 and then be fighting Gustafsson on April 6?

My guess is Mousasi. He says he wants to be active. He came out of his last fight in good shape. He wants to fight Gustafsson. The fight is in Europe. It all makes sense.

Jones vs. Sonnen
Cormier vs. Mir
Hendo vs. Machida
Mousasi vs. Gustafsson

then

Jones vs. Cormier (if he beats Mir)
Hendo/Machida winner vs. Gustafsson/Mousasi winner for title shot

or

Jones vs. Hendo/Machida winner
Cormier (if he loses to Mir) vs. Mousasi/Gustafsson winner

Great post man. You beat me to it. I have the exact same thoughts. However, as an alternative to Mousasi, i also have Glover taking his slot, if he has an impressive showing against Rampage, and then i have Mousasi facing Rashad Evans (when Evans beats Big Nog next month). However, what you laid out makes the most sense. If Cormier loses to Mir though, he should not face the Mousasi/Gustaffson winner in a title eliminator right away. That is where we slightly differ.

^with 3 top 10 wins at HW assuming he beats Mir? ya i think he gets a shot right away. I mean he could easily be next in line at HW if Cain wasnt holding the title

I agree with all that, but one fight in the UFC, one main event headliner and he has never headlined PPV or really been exposed to the UFC crowd so to speak. Thought they might throw Hendo in there in between, if he wins.... if not, sure, Cormier would be the guy if he beat Mir. Of course that's not all said and done yet. If Cormier gets 25 minutes like Banett did, we might see something completely different unfold.

I could see him get a fight against Bader (if he beats Vladdy). Not too many other LHW's are avaliable atm.

i hope so. the mousasi fight makes no sense. it's better to have guys who haven't lost to jones yet fight other guys instead of each other.

For everyone saying Griffin. He has an injured knee and its questionable if he would be able to fight in the next 3 months. I bet he's out till summer.

With risk of medical suspensions it's unlikely they're planning for Hendo or Machida so Mousasi makes the most sense, and would be a brilliant fight!

This is my prediction as well.

that's another fight that makes sense.

whoever said that the machida/henderson winner should fight the winner of gustafsson/tba needs to get their head checked.

For everyone saying Griffin. He has an injured knee and its questionable if he would be able to fight in the next 3 months. I bet he's out till summer.

yup just ate my own words, i didnt realize how big of an injury it was...

If it's Mousasi i'm gonna be like the only sweede there rooting against Gustafsson, shit i'm gonna be lynched. :icon_chee

Another swedish MMA site said that they gave a opponent for Gustafsson, but they did not mention anyone..

Confused?? i could've sworn they guaranteed him a title shot once he beat Shogun? Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if they recalled it, they probably just did it to get more viewers and publicity like they have in the past...

No one complaining that the UFC is just using Gus to get Swedish fans?

Oh, nvm, he's not Cain, it doesn't count.

why would you complain?
Its a good plan. How else do you expect the UFC to get new swedish fans? or mexican fans, or any country.
Why not promote the best swedish fighter in sweden?

Especially if they have a great swedish fighter.... seriously, I want to know how your brain works.

Using....? you mean paying and let him perform in front of his countrymen? Become more popular in his home country, help with sponsors and endless benefits.

You wanna say basketball, football, american football, baseball dont use there athletes more for advertising. And for people who play around with balls.

Bet you miss affliction and elite xc.... ooo kimbo!
typical ufc hating, i remember when affliction and elite xc were still about, they had so many people working for them posting shit everywhere...

they`ll probably just give him a gimme fight.

off topic: swedish language seems too difficult to be true! but then again theres russian. and arabic. and chinese.

Back