Gustafsson ready to return

Losses vs Smith and Werdum were super disapointing. Good on him for wanting to come back but I don't exactly have my hopes up.

War Gus, destroyed Jan and Glover, both fighting for the title, and mostly lost to the best of the best

Just retire, Gus. His last two performances were pathetic - losing to Smith is embarassing and losing so quickly to Werdum is perhaps even more embarassing. He has no business in the HW division unless he adds a lot of mass. Similar to Volkov - Volkov has always been legit, but he has been too scrawny for his frame but now he has finally added some mass and is a bigger threat (literally). Gus is tall and lanky and he won't be able to handle the bigger HWs that are also somewhat athletic.

IF Gus comes back it should be at LHW and he really need to find a new camp and maybe get that fire lit again. Prime Gus would probably be the champ in today's LHW division.

Hopefully the guys head is in it. Hasn't really seemed like his head has been there since the close jones loss, followed by the rumble stoppage. Saw flashes of the brilliance against DC, but massively inconsistent for the most part since the first title shot, and loss to rumble. I'd love to see him come back dialed in. Because yeah when he's on his game, he's one of the most dangerous guys in his division.

Doesn't sound like you're a huge fan lol damn. Ineffective disclaimer

Bruh I got excited for the second Jones fight (gus gets smoked). Then I got excited for him to beat Anthony Smith (gets beat in his home town). Then I get excited for him to beat the fuckin corpse of Werdum (gets submitted). I think I have every right to react like this lmao

Surely. However I think that a fully focused Gus wouldn’t have failed like that against Smith. He was winning nicely until he seemed to sort of black out and forget what he was doing.
I agree with the last sentence.
But I don't quite get the idea of 'fully focused'.

I mean.. I assume everyone who is in a fight pretty much are forced to focus on the fight due to adrenaline.
Sure, some make focus brainfarts (like Bisping focusing on his mouth guard before the fight was stopped)
But I feel like the accusation here is that he was unfocused due to lack of motivation.

Sure he has motivational issues but I can't imagine it was like he lost interest mid fight and started thinking about his taxes instead of fighting.

Last edited:
Gus has managed to elevate himself to high highs several times.
But he's always been a bit uneven and prone to making mistakes.

* Gus' coach yelled "front kick" and Gus did it immediately. Gus should've known if he heard it so could Rumble...who catch the kick
* Had a brain fart during grappling with Smith
* Gus said he had an "an off night with his striking" against Jan. Sure it was good to see him be able to switch up his gameplan and stuff Jan with wrestling, that showed skill depth and fightIQ. But it was scary to see him struggle in the striking battle
* DC - was frustrating to see Gus just eat shots while he let DC hold him over the neck. And it was sad to see Gus waste energy by running to reset to the center: seems he couldn't keep DC from pushing forwards by just circling or threatening to counter. That wasted energy contributed to him not being able to win the final round.

* DC - was frustrating to see Gus just eat shots while he let DC hold him over the neck. And it was sad to see Gus waste energy by running to reset to the center: seems he couldn't keep DC from pushing forwards by just circling or threatening to counter. That wasted energy contributed to him not being able to win the final round.
That one hand clinch from DC was was weird how effective it was. Specially since Gustafsson had so much success with his offense even flash knocked out DC in round 3. If he could just figure out how to not be trapped by by DC's one hand clinch (which he should considering he is 20cm taller) then that fight would have been his.

I wonder what Gus' management is up to, if they are having a hard time finding a fight or just browsing.

In may his manager said "Alex will fight before august. Hopefully in July" which made us swedes think there was a match in the works and they were just trying to figure out at which event it would take place.

But like a week ago Gus tweeted
"Ready for whoever whenever. here in Vegas to stay prepared! @ UFC performance institute"
So sounds like doesn't have anything booked at all... or he's got a pretty uninteresting potential booking and is looking for something better

Last edited:
He'll have a good chance in the geriatric HW division. He'll be the Erick Silva of that weight class. Werdum is a difficult matchup for a lot of HW if you can't get dictate where the fight goes, so I'm willing to look past his loss against Werdum

I agree with that point on Werdum, tough guy to debut against.

I don’t think Gus will ever summon the hunger again though. I’ll remember his best moments very fondly but I think he’s trying to rekindle a fire that already burned out and had water poured on the coals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back