Gustafsson made Shogun look athletic!!

Not to knock Gus, but I just don't see him (or anyone else, for that matter) being very competitive with Jones. He's young and has time to get better, but I think his standup isn't refined enough to take Jones out and his wrestling has been a weakness. We'll see how far he's come in terms of improving both, but I don't think it will be nearly enough to topple Bones. Just my opinion.

i dont care who, someone needs to beat jon jones

Not to knock Gus, but I just don't see him (or anyone else, for that matter) being very competitive with Jones. He's young and has time to get better, but I think his standup isn't refined enough to take Jones out and his wrestling has been a weakness. We'll see how far he's come in terms of improving both, but I don't think it will be nearly enough to topple Bones. Just my opinion.

Meh, I don't think Gus has it but weirder shit has happened in MMA. Overall i think Jones probably loses to the first guy he doesn't take seriously. Which is coming soon with Glover.

It is clearly the left strike that puts him down, the other strikes does not land in any way that he should fall the way he did.

He didnt even fall based on the first strike....it was a light jab that made him off balance while he was throwing the kick.....its the second strike that lands on the arm, when he off balance all ready. Youi can see him losing his balance and throwing his hands in the air. It was not a conventional knock down....he was off balance and fell. Its obvious when you watch the fight

It is clearly the left strike that puts him down, the other strikes does not land in any way that he should fall the way he did.

What, the punch to his rear deltoid? Lol.

Look at how his legs cross after he threw that kick. Thats why he fell the way he did.

I think Shogun looked pretty good in the first two rounds of that fight. He closed the distance and hit Gus with a few solid right hands. Guys don't close distance on Jones like that.

I have no idea what you're smoking but you need to share some of that shit dude. You're on Pluto right now fucking purple aliens with 3 pussies. Give me some of that shit right now!
Mmmm... purple vag is the best vag in the universe.

Alex would kill both DC and Glover.

153v3ar.jpg

DC would make that fight look like Davis x Gus but about ten times worse. He would literally toss him like a small child. Expect to see what he did to Barnett takedown wise.

I think Shogun looked pretty good in the first two rounds of that fight. He closed the distance and hit Gus with a few solid right hands. Guys don't close distance on Jones like that.

Shogun won one round tops and thats being Oprah Winfrey generous. This thread is pure Gus hate and operates on the legs of jaded Shogun fans and Jones nuthuggers. Gus stands the best chance so far imo but Jones should take this.

Didn't see the Shogun fight but I did see the Thiago fight. Looking at that fight he doesn't have a chance.

Shogun's ko of Chuck to me was the most explosive move in the history of combat sports.

1) Troll thread (created by a Gus hater)

2) Alex is a great athlete, very fast, in fact, Glover recently stated that he believes he's faster than Jon Jones (that LHW champion guy who is supposedly a tier-1 freak athlete). Alex has very good movement when he uses it (obviously not in the Shogun fight), great footwork, fast feet and fast hands. His reflexes are good too (again, when he uses them). His fight against Thiago Silva showed how well he can move, his speed, his reflexes, his footwork and his striking. For a guy that is 6'5 and well over 200 pounds he's very fast, pretty agile, and light on his feet. For a while people here on Sherdog were joking calling him "The White Ali". So LMAO at "unathletic and uncoordinated". What a joke.

3) The Shogun fight was very odd. Alex didn't even look half as good as he could've looked. He had almost no movement or even any game plan for the first couple rounds. He basically just stood and brawled with Shogun, eating huge punches (which didn't affect him at all), rolling with some of them, and hitting takedowns. He did land some nice hard knees when he had Shogun in the Thai clinch, a front kick to the face that hurt Shogun and a liver kick. Alex, at his worst, beat an in shape and relatively motivated Shogun. Watch any of Alex's UFC fights and compare those first 2 rounds against Shogun to any of his other rounds in any of his previous fights. They don't even look like the same fighter, he clearly had something going on there (starstruck yes, but I believe there was more to it).

No he didnt.....SHogun attempted a leg kick on a awkward angle and Gus hit him in the arm and Shogun fell down....he didnt connect anywhere hear the head.

f6wvu.gif

Shogun actually knocked Gus down in round 1....right around 3:00 min mark...he caught a kick and landed a right hand putting Gus on his back. Here is the pic..

Gus_1.jpg

If your gonna be certain of something....please acutally watch the fight...its clear that you havent.

Actually, Alex threw a lazy leg kick, Shogun caught it, then he punched him and immediately took him down. So, to recap, he caught the kick (Alex was on one leg at this point), punched him then immediately followed it up with a takedown. It wasn't a knockdown / KD and wasn't scored as one either (check the stats for the fight). There were 0 knockdowns scored in that fight, even Alex's knockdown of Shogun wasn't scored (it was scored as a takedown, that's what it was). Reason being, obviously, Shogun was caught off balance. However, Alex's jab certainly did get through his guard before he even attempted the leg kick. Alex then cut an angle to the side, threw a couple more punches and Shogun was off balance and falling not long after.

For the record, Alex has never been knocked down or noticeably rocked in the UFC. His chin is very good and his recovery is too. People were criticizing Gus since then (and still do) saying "Even Shogun took him down! Jones will take him down at will and KILL him!!" etc. Well, that takedown you're calling a knockdown is what they're referring to. What they don't understand is that Alex was on one leg and Shogun caught his leg kick, it's not like he was shot on and couldn't sprawl or stuff it in time. Shogun has good takedowns anyway, always has, it's his TDD that's never been good.

i just don't see how gustafsson handles explosive and athletic (with cardio and skills)

Jones goes for a TD or a clinch, Gus sees it coming from a mile away and nails him with haymakers. Jones survives, but sticks with jabs and tee kicks to the knees the rest of the night, with occasional end of round takedown attempt when he is feeling confident. Jones UD win.

mark my words...

whoever gives gus more than 10% chance (and that is being generous) is just delusional...

Back