Gustafsson and Jones athleticism

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Break Brick, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Break Brick

Break Brick Black Belt

Did anyone else feel that Alex matched Jones in terms of athleticism last night? He looked equally as explosive as Jones which is the key area I thought Jones would hold an advantage. Anyone else agree/surprised by this? ( I know it's a difficult area to quantify)

Just like to add Gus looked incredible last night, I wouldn't want to be his next opponent at the rate he's improving. And props to Jones too, nobody should question his heart or chin again.

2. s1fys

s1fys abc

Trust me you will never be his opponent!

But seriously, yes Gustafsson showed that he is just as quick and agile as Jones even though he is a tall guy.

3. Break Brick

Break Brick Black Belt

Thank God! The only way I'm fighting him is with a Snes pad and a copy of street fighter 2 turbo. I got Guile, come at me Gus.

4. Jackie Blue

Jackie Blue Silver Belt

I think Jones can probably run faster, jump higher, and push up more weights, but Gus has quicker hands and better boxing footwork because he's trained a lot more boxing than Jones. It's the old adage about getting there quicker because you know where you're going. Jones has good MMA muay Thai, but his boxing isn't as good specifically. I also think Jones wasn't prepared for a guy who was about the same height/reach as him. Schaub's training in L.A. now, I'm not sure how many tall, long fighters he has left to train with, but I'm sure they'll find a way to accommodate him...