Gus's record is actually not good

3rd best LHW of this era, decision losses vs Jones/DC could have easily gone the other way (Less so vs DC but still very competitive)

I almost wish fightfinder and online records werent a thing so dipshits have to actually watch a guys fights before criticizing them

3rd best LHW of this era, decision losses vs Jones/DC could have easily gone the other way (Less so vs DC but still very competitive)

I almost wish fightfinder and online records werent a thing so dipshits have to actually watch a guys fights before criticizing them

4th? Rumble should be number 3

His problem is that he seems to only want fights vs guys he can't beat with the occasional tuneup here and there. Fighting at LHW for the last 9 years he should have an inflated record heavy with wins vs top 5ers not named Jones or DC and an interim belt or two but instead he chooses to fight once a year lol

Gus has a ton of potential that he has shown in his losses:

1. Phil Davis did nothing in that fight with his wrestling or striking until green Gus got overconfident and took him down, where Davis got a kimura.
2. Most people thought he won against Jones.
3. DC clearly won but it was a very close fight. Gus' corner did nothing to help him in the clinch where he kept getting uppercutted.
4. Gus' corner called him to through a kick in English which Rumble take advantage of and there was a (non-intentional) headbutt. Who knows if Rumble was able to land other big punches but Gus was more fluid on feet.
5. Gus injured his groin in the second Jones fight and Jones was pulsing.

But his winning record is not that great - Shogun on the beginning of the decline and old Glover. Manuwa is an okay win.

2. Incorrect.

And this is coming from a Jones hater.

Any MMA fight who could properly score a 10 point must system MMA fight saw it 48.47 Jones.

1) Gus
2) Jones
3) Gus
4) Jones (but Gus was winning until the spinning elbow)
5) Jones

Sorry.

He would be if he werent retired

plus if were judging based off records you could say Rumble has worse losses than Gus

He had some bad loses at 170 but that shouldn't hold weight with his LHW career. He's only lost to DC at LHW, twice and also murdered Gus.

You said LHW of this era, so that usually entails everyone who has fought at LHW in this era. At least that's how it should go. Technically DC isn't an active LHW either so he shouldn't count too.

I know I am just splinting hairs here. But still, there's no way he's above Rumble IMO.

1. Phil Davis did nothing in that fight with his wrestling or striking until green Gus got overconfident and took him down, where Davis got a kimura.
3. DC clearly won but it was a very close fight. Gus' corner did nothing to help him in the clinch where he kept getting uppercutted.
4. Gus' corner called him to through a kick in English which Rumble take advantage of and there was a (non-intentional) headbutt. Who knows if Rumble was able to land other big punches but Gus was more fluid on feet.

But his winning record is not that great - Shogun on the beginning of the decline and old Glover. Manuwa is an okay win.

<YeahOKJen>

Gus is more famous for the fights he lost than those he won. Plus he never fights. Going 3-4 over a 6 year period does not qualify you as a great even if you "almost" won a few of those big fights.

IMO he beat DC. Third round was Gus's easiest round and if all three give it to him he wins. Gus almost finished DC that round, DC got saved by bell. It's also not appreciated just how close he came to beating Jones. If Jones doesn't land those elbows in round 4, it's his round and his fight. Jones proved his superiority but he was in a real bad spot there.

At the end of the day since 2013 it's just been almost impossible to matchmake for a guy like him, too good for most guys not good enough for a shot. Before he beat Jones he was super active, won 6 fights in a row a streak I don't think a non Jones 205'er has matched since(Bader had 5 I think, DC had 4, Rumble had 3 twice). Since then he was basically treading water for a rematch he got hurt during. Just nowhere for him to go. But those Jones and DC losses make him look better than any of his wins or most people's wins.

Like he took 2 rounds from the GOAT and if Jones doesn't land those elbows in round 4 he wins. No amount of inactivity makes that go away. Yeah Jones underestimated him but Gus being better than Jones isn't the point.

Gus took Jones down once and he's the only guy besides DC to do it ONCE but Gus unlike DC wasn't an Olympic wrestler just got coached by Phil Davis for a year and to do that after Jones has clowned so many elite wrestlers is impressive af.

IMO he beat DC. Third round was Gus's easiest round and if all three give it to him he wins. Gus almost finished DC that round, DC got saved by bell. It's also not appreciated just how close he came to beating Jones. If Jones doesn't land those elbows in round 4, it's his round and his fight. Jones proved his superiority but he was in a real bad spot there.

At the end of the day since 2013 it's just been almost impossible to matchmake for a guy like him, too good for most guys not good enough for a shot. Before he beat Jones he was super active, won 6 fights in a row a streak I don't think a non Jones 205'er has matched since(Bader had 5 I think, DC had 4, Rumble had 3 twice). Since then he was basically treading water for a rematch he got hurt during. Just nowhere for him to go. But those Jones and DC losses make him look better than any of his wins or most people's wins.

Like he took 2 rounds from the GOAT and if Jones doesn't land those elbows in round 4 he wins. No amount of inactivity makes that go away. Yeah Jones underestimated him but Gus being better than Jones isn't the point.

Gus took Jones down once and he's the only guy besides DC to do it ONCE but Gus unlike DC wasn't an Olympic wrestler just got coached by Phil Davis for a year and to do that after Jones has clowned so many elite wrestlers is impressive af.

But he got smashed the second fight, so did DC

Some comments.

1-Davis's training is what led to Gus taking Jones down in the first place. Respect for both but Davis has never been finished even by Rumble. Gus could have won that fight by decision perhaps but Davis's inability to attack guys has on the feet has always been his problem doesn't mean Gus could have finished him.

2-Most people didn't think he won against Jones. I feel the fact that Gus was winning for most of that fight made people stick to their guns even though Jones clearly stole it in the title rounds. It's not insane to think Gus won but giving all the first three to Gus is a stretch and that's what you need to do for Gus to win.

3-Gus came far close to finishing DC than vice e versa. If Gus gets the third round the round he almost got the finish(at the bell)on all three scorecards the decision is his. It's reasonable to give it to DC too but let's not get it twisted one judge gave this to Gus and if all three judges give Gus his best round, Gus wins a split.

4-Think something Rumble fans don't understand is that surviving the first round usually means a win(if you aren't a terrible striker like Phil) and this gives the impression Rumble is vastly superior to guys like Gus and Bader when the truth is if they don't get finished in the first they probably win by finish like DC did. Gus and Bader just fucked up. Rumble isn't a threat to finish after the first round, that's just the way it is and it's foolish for people to treat this like it going the other way wasn't realistic.

5-Gus did get hurt during the second fight. The reason people didn't complain or even mention it as an excuse is cause tbh the first fight already kind of proved Jones is superior. The story about Jones taking the fight lightly and not following Gus but making Gus come to him checks out entirely and no one thinks Gus being 100% changes anything. Jones actually pushed for the Gus fight and at the time there was an uproar cause Machida was a tougher matchup. I wanted Phil to get the shot cause he'd beaten Gus and had just beaten Machida in his would be title eliminator(and I gave that decision to Phil, Machida losing decisions is part of his style if he can't finish and he lost that one). Still want to see the third fight just cause I know Gus's best against Jones is better than THAT and we waited for that fight five fucking years almost but that don't mean the excuse matters.

But he got smashed the second fight, so did DC

Gus was injured the second fight. Not an excuse cause I don't think it matters in terms of winning but the second fight underrates Gus the same way the first one overrates Gus. Gus is better than that, not good enough to beat Jones but considerably better than that.

The two DC fights were pretty consistent. In both DC is competitive in the early rounds then slows down. Second time Jones was considerably more motivated to go for the finish than the first time(for obvious reasons). Jones typically doesn't take risks at the end of fights to get finishes(he's said this on multiple occasions for example with Smith) if he can get the win.

I chalked up Jones getting the finish to DC being older but tbh DC in 2017 and 2018 IMO was considerably better than DC in 2014 and 2015 so I really don't think so, besides the finish and the fact the fight didn't go distance those fights were pretty similar.

Gustafson is a fighter that I could have liked, had he not been such a goddamn whiney bitch about the first Jones fight. That, combined with his insufferable delusional fan base, was enough to make me loathe him with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns.

Basically beat Jon Jones
Got bulldozed by Rumble
Gave DC a very hard fight
In between all of this he sat on the side lines and demanded more title shots.

Moose or Mouse? Mouse wouldn't make sense so I am assuming you mean Gegard.
Yep. I meant Moose. I dont know where my spelling is today. Will edit.

Gustafson is a fighter that I could have liked, had he not been such a goddamn whiney bitch about the first Jones fight. That, combined with his insufferable delusional fan base, was enough to make me loathe him with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns.

His fanbase was delusional. But I feel it was just Jones haters overreacting to the guy being challenged. His fanbase also fell apart real quickly when he got finished by Rumble and he went from overrated to underrated. In 2014 and 2015 I feel a majority of Sherdog believed Gus won that fight. Today that opinion is rare and was long before the Gus rematch cause when you watch the fight and get over the ecstasy of Jones almost losing that opinion just doesn't hold up.

I was highly suspicious of Gus after the Jan Blachowicz fight. I saw Gus turn into a panic wrestler against Jan, and I lost interest in his career.

I'm hoping Smith gets it done i can't stand GUS's dirty eye poking he does it intentionally..

Back