Gus vs Jones II right now is just dumb

"Gus even lost to Davis"? What kind of argument is that? Yeah, he lost to a very strong wrestler over 4 years ago when his game wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Whoopty fucking doo.

Yeah that was dumb to bring up. That fight stopped being relevant once we saw him winning all the grappling exchanges against Jones.

DC's top competition at LHW.

Cummins the starbucks employee

and

Over the hill Dan Henderson without TRT

What a stellar record.

And for a multitude of reasons. Daniel Cormier who is undefeated and has been raping top competition for years gets put on the sidelines for no reason.
Gus gets a shot, loses in a close but otherwise uneventful fight and then beats an unproven unranked guy and gets another shot? You just cant make this shit up. Hell Gus even lost to Davis who is no where near title contention himself. I just dont get it. And on top of that Cormier is way too old to make him wait on the sidelines or till he is on the receiving end of a fluke KO loss which would totally ruin a showdown with JJ.

NO REASON other than knee surgery, where do you people come from? You are identical to the guy in my signature. Are you are journalist too?

Lotta uninformed/trolling posters in thread. Too much to even point everyone out.

DC's top competition at LHW.

Cummins the starbucks employee

and

Over the hill Dan Henderson without TRT

What a stellar record.

Dan Henderson twice beat the guy who is easily Gustafsson's best win...

Also I think it is absolutely stupid to not consider what DC has done at HW. Its not like DC has looked any less impressive at LHW than he did at HW. I don't see any decline in his fighting performance since dropping in weight. You telling me that beating up tough HW veterns as a relative MMA newcomer and undersized HW isn't impressive? DC was a top contender at HW and only moved down in weight because Cain is the champion, lets not act like he got beat out of the division

And for a multitude of reasons. Daniel Cormier who is undefeated and has been raping top competition for years gets put on the sidelines for no reason.
Gus gets a shot, loses in a close but otherwise uneventful fight and then beats an unproven unranked guy and gets another shot? You just cant make this shit up. Hell Gus even lost to Davis who is no where near title contention himself. I just dont get it. And on top of that Cormier is way too old to make him wait on the sidelines or till he is on the receiving end of a fluke KO loss which would totally ruin a showdown with JJ.

I have made this argument in other threads. The UFC is diluting it's own talent pools by the way they exploit title shots, title rematches, etc.

Just stop before I add you to my signature for blatant ignorance.

OMG 2014 OJ belt is gonna add me to his sig.

I'm scared.

DC is a great fighter with an excellent skillset, but he still doesn't have any wins that make me go WOW.

Gus's near win vs Jones is still more prestigious than any of DC's wins, HW or LHW.

I'm not a Gustafsson fan but just an MMA fan in general. I was more interested in seeing justice done. There are plenty of instances where fighters fought a fight or two apart for title shots and some instances where they were back to back. It depended on how the first fight went.

Jesus, why do I have to tell you guys this shit? Seriously? Have you been living under a rock? You know how this works right? Look at JDS v. Cain series of fights.

The problem with what you are saying is... Cain was the champion when he lost to Dos Santos, triggering the series of fights. Gus was NOT the champion and although he gave a great effort, Jones was still the victor. The UFC needs to let the fight build while giving Cormier a title shot and having Gus test himself against a top 5 guy like Rumble or Glover

OMG 2014 OJ belt is gonna add me to his sig.

I'm scared.

DC is a great fighter with an excellent skillset, but he still doesn't have any wins that make me go WOW.

Gus's near win vs Jones is still more prestigious than any of DC's wins, HW or LHW.

Holy fuck no! Are you serious right now? Winning 2 rounds is more impressive than KOing Bigfoot Silva (fresh off the Fedor win) and absolutely thrashing Josh Barnett within your first 2 years of starting MMA?!? Come on now man, everyone who saw that fight with Barnett was impressed with Cormier. Josh had a huge experience advantage and definitely had the size advantage too, it was impressive to see how easily Cormier dominated such a seasoned veteran just 9 fights into his MMA career

Holy fuck no! Are you serious right now? Winning 2 rounds is more impressive than KOing Bigfoot Silva (fresh off the Fedor win) and absolutely thrashing Josh Barnett within your first 2 years of starting MMA?!? Come on now man, everyone who saw that fight with Barnett was impressed with Cormier.

Sorry that I feel putting the consensus p4p#1 fighter in the the hospital is more prestigious than beating some declining veterans. DC certainly looked impressive in all of his wins but he didn't look impressive against the current p4p# 1.

Josh Barnett hasn't looked elite in years, yet still a tough fight for anyone, admittedly.

Bigfoot himself has looked very beatable since downing Fedor, but it's not like he beat prime Fedor. Fedor was just beaten by Werdum, too, don't forget.

Sorry that I feel putting the consensus p4p#1 fighter in the the hospital is more prestigious than beating some declining veterans. DC certainly looked impressive in all of his wins but he didn't look impressive against the current p4p# 1.

Josh Barnett hasn't looked elite in years, yet still a tough fight for anyone, admittedly.

Bigfoot himself has looked very beatable since downing Fedor, but it's not like he beat prime Fedor. Fedor was just beaten by Werdum, too, don't forget.

You are not rational in any sense of the word.

I think this is Gus's last and only shot at the title shot because I dont think he can beat anyone in the top 6

Doubt that will happen. You do know they train together, right?

I see it happening especially after Davis's last lost. Davis is looking to rebound and get back into title contention after being so close. Hes already asked to fight someone in the top 5 in September. I wouldnt be surprised if he ends of facing Gus down the road as he makes his way back to title contention. At the end of day you have to worry about your own career. They trained together but theyre not fulltime training partners

Doesn't tell the whole story of the fight, you're making it sound like Gus won that fight.

Josh Barnett has lost 2 fights since 2006, DC and Browne

Bigfoot has only lost to DC and Cain since the Fedor fight...and yea Fedor did lose to Werdum, his first "real" loss, Bigfoot was his 2nd loss. Beating a guy that is 31-2 is still impressive, especially considering no one gave Bigfoot a chance in hell of winning against Fedor...it is easy to look back now and act like it wasn't a big win

You're legitimately making zero sense.

Daniel Cormier sidelined for no reason? Dude has got a knee injury.

"otherwise uneventful fight"? You call the FOTY "otherwise uneventful"? I don't even know who you are right now.

He beat a 14-0 guy just outside the top 10, while according to most people already deserving another shot.

"Gus even lost to Davis"? What kind of argument is that? Yeah, he lost to a very strong wrestler over 4 years ago when his game wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Whoopty fucking doo.

DC likely gets the next shot and meanwhile he can rehab his knee.

Nailed it. No need to even add to it.

i dont like these fast re-matches e. her.
if gus loses the re-match, he won't get another title shot for years unless jones loses his belt in the near future.

So your plan is have him auto wait years for a single rematch ... i dont see how that is a better alternative.

Doesn't tell the whole story of the fight, you're making it sound like Gus won that fight.

Josh Barnett has lost 2 fights since 2006, DC and Browne

Bigfoot has only lost to DC and Cain since the Fedor fight...and yea Fedor did lose to Werdum, his first "real" loss, Bigfoot was his 2nd loss. Beating a guy that is 31-2 is still impressive, especially considering no one gave Bigfoot a chance in hell of winning against Fedor...it is easy to look back now and act like it wasn't a big win

The fight was close enough that the UFC and fans wanted an instant rematch. It doesn't really matter if I think he won or you think he lost. The point is he took the #1 p4p into deep water, deeper than he's ever been.

Jones spent time in the hospital and took a beating to get there. That's what happened.

DC still hasn't had a fight against a top5 fighter in HW or LHW. I'm sure he'd do quite well, but we can only judge what has been seen.

So your plan is have him auto wait years for a single rematch ... i dont see how that is a better alternative.

UFC could have made other big fights for Gus to let him continue to grow his skills and profile, leading to what could be a monster title fight with Jones next year or so. Both JBJ and Gus are young (I think JBJ is 26, Gus is like 28), they likely haven't even hit their prime -- it's a shame that if Gus loses (as I think he will), he's shut out from the title if Jones keeps winning.

You can't tell me Gus vs. Rumble, Rashad, Cormier, Glover or to a lesser extent, avenging his loss vs. Phil wouldn't be big PPV draws.

There are a ton of good match-ups out there but the UFC only cares about creating interest at the title level of the house and letting the rest fight baristas or unranked fighters, killing time for their shot at Bones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back