Gus to Jones: We're supposed to be role models.

you don't choose who your kids look up to tho, that shit usually just happens naturally

It happens naturally in the context of how the kid is raised by his parents.

And I said "should," fwiw.

Doubt it.

Examples:
Ben Rothesberger gets accused of rape 3 times. No heat.
Michael Vick kills some dogs. Lynch mob.

Richard Sherman get mad on camera. Gets labelled a thug.
Justin Bieber assaults people (like Gus). Considered a misguided teen.

Being accused of something shouldn't bring heat if the guy is innocent

Vick did what he did

And while I dislike Beiber there is a different standards for teens than full grown men. Especially when the teen weighs less than the average girl probably. I don't think it was the color of his skin why people didn't consider him menacing.

Last edited:
When will we learn that searching for role models within the athletic community is a highly risky proposition with disappointment being a near certainty when we venture into the territory of combat sports? Just watch athletes when they perform athletics and leave it at that.

Jones wouldn't get that benefit of the doubt.

I'm pretty sure if he was a mess at 18 and then had no continued problematic behavior, he absolutely would. Look at guys like Guillard.

I explained why that is and it isn't because Jon is black. Gustafsson gets hate from Americans just for being Swedish. Jon has done lots of stupid shit, Gustafsson hasn't in a decade. Jon is also very cocky, outspoken, and he likes to play the heel while Gustafsson isn't like this. Pulling the race card is a cop out much more often than not and in this scenario it definitely is.

LOL.

Americans would root for a white foreigner than a Black citizen in combat sports, unless he's from the city or state in the venue.

There are clear double standards in sports when it comes to race.

Doubt it.

Examples:
Ben Rothesberger gets accused of rape 3 times. No heat.
Michael Vick kills some dogs. Lynch mob.

Richard Sherman get mad on camera. Gets labelled a thug.
Justin Bieber assaults people (like Gus). Considered a misguided teen.

But we're not talking about them now are we.

Fact is, since serving time almost 10 years ago, Gus has turned his life around. Jones just got caught doing coke (meaning he has done it for a while now), and before that he was in the news for a dwi arrest.

Now, if you run a media site who reports the news, with news being the important part. Which guy are you going to focus on. The one doing the illegal things now, or the one who did before he started fighting?

As the gap between their skill widens, maybe Gus can appeal to the children for help. Maybe he'll write a kid's book with Madonna.

What is this sport coming to? Who's the better role model???????????

You're delusional.

These guys are not supposed to be role models. There's a reason why before every UFC show they say "Warning, the following is meant to be intended for mature audiences..." (Or something close to that)

Glass-Houses-01.jpg

Gus is not a role model. And so is not Jones.

I'm pretty sure if he was a mess at 18 and then had no continued problematic behavior, he absolutely would. Look at guys like Guillard.

It's clear you don't understand how America treats reformed minority criminals. Minorities are marked for life for as little as marijuana according to the justice system. Minorities don't get second chances (w/o money), they hardly get a first chance depending where they grow up.

If Jones went to prison for assault he may not be eligible to even be a part of the UFC. He did you have Fox News bitching about it. Also Guillard only got caught for cocaine once. There are no records of him getting arrested (at least in wikipedia)

Normally I would not agree with Gus. Just because someone makes a living being a fighter does not mean they want to be a role model. However, Jones through his words and actions has been volunteering himself and pushing himself as a role model, so... Gus is right in Jones' case.

you dont need to be a role model but it would be nice to not be a scum

Fighters aren't supposed to be role models, parents are.

Switch the past actions and tell me you or media would have the same narrative.

Let's say Jones used to play the knockout game at 18 and Gus did a little coke, who would get more hate?

Ya, keep playing that race card buddy. The more you stick to that, the emptier and more hateful your life will become. Just like not every muslim is to be held responsible for the attacks in France, not every person will judge someone on their skin colour and you generalizing like that won't get anyone in this world anywhere. It is futile.

Example here; what Jones did isn't even worth discussing I feel. Did some coke on a party, in his position, who wouldn't? Judging it is laughable, especially if he doesn't have a addiction to the substance. Who is he hurting with that?

Gus on the other hand committed a crime. Sure, people can learn from their mistakes but I tend to be careful with that. There are also a lot who go on to commit more crimes. It is smart to keep this in mind without judging someone. People can change. Gus appearently changed, but he should get off his high horse asap. They are both poor rolemodels in that regard and it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black. *edit, rofl.

well jones is now. He's a role model for all MMA fighters. They can now snort coke out of competition and not get any consequences from it when it shows up on the drug test for out of competition testing. =)

LOL.

Americans would root for a white foreigner than a Black citizen in combat sports, unless he's from the city or state in the venue.

There are clear double standards in sports when it comes to race.

How do you explain all the Anderson Silva fans then?

People root for likable winners, especially superstars

Michael Jordon was worshiped practically

Tiger Woods probably brought in more new white followers then every other golfer combined

Same with Phil Ivey in poker

You are seeing things that aren't there. Bigotry is still alive and well. But sports is actually one of the few places people seem to set aside their prejudices.

Last edited:
Being accused of something shouldn't bring heat if the guy is innocent

Vick did what he did

And while I dislike Beiber there is a different standards for teens than full grown men. Especially when the teen weighs less than the average girl probably. I don't think it was the color of his skin why people didn't consider him menacing.

Essentially cutting a WWE promo in a NFL post interview is worse than aggravated assault. Ok then.

I don't understand how fighters beating the shit out of each other can be considered a role model but okay.

Back