Gus has improved his wrestling with Phil Davis, why hasnt Phil improved his striking?

Honestly, his striking wasn't much better than these bikers.

I think people overplay the "Their powers should combine!" aspect of training partners too often. If it was as true as people say, Jake Shields would be able to box like the Diaz brothers and the Diaz brothers would be able to wrestle like Shields, and Askren and Pettis would be unstoppable forces from hell.

Every fighter is different, coaches make a huge difference, what makes a good fighter is different from a good sparring partner, et cetera.

TL;DR answer -- Gus got taken down by an NCAA champ very early in his MMA career and got labeled a "weak" grappler, when he shouldn't have been, and is just all-around more talented than Phil is.

Phil Davis is a wrestler at heart, and doesn't have the true fighting spirit to implement his striking in a fight where the other guy can hit you back if you mess up a new technique.

I'm sure he probably looks like a beast on the pads, but its different when someones hitting you back.
Im going to go with either this and hes clearly not doing something right.

Gustafsson improved his wrestling by grinding with top swedish wrestlers who are above Phil Davis's level.

Phil should really look to learn how to fight rangy. he stands very compact and stiff, a problem for many wrestlers I notice.

I still say he needs to be entered into some low level boxing competitions. If you don't force him to be comfortable with it he never will be and will always go back yo what he knows, which is wrestling.

Defensively he's quite good but offensively he still has quite poor striking mechanics.

He seems to pull back on his strikes at the last minute and block/shoot for a TD

Phil has improved on his striking. The Gus nuthuggers will not acknowledge that though because they claim only Gus can improve...everybody else is somehow stuck in time and did not somehow.

Its a damn shame that Gus nuthuggers hate on Phil so much even though he helped their man crush with his wrestling. Hypocrites the lot of them.

Phil has improved on his striking. The Gus nuthuggers will not acknowledge that though because they claim only Gus can improve...everybody else is somehow stuck in time and did not somehow.

Its a damn shame that Gus nuthuggers hate on Phil so much even though he helped their man crush with his wrestling. Hypocrites the lot of them.

How are you not banned yet? Mods, do your job here. These trolljobs are getting pretty old.

His defense looked good in the Glover fight. I don't know why everyone is acting like he hasn't improved. He is still no top striker compared to all the other guys at the top of the division but he's clearly gotten better, maybe that is why.

Phil just isn't much of a natural striker, but that is just my opinion. Conversely, Gus seemed to be a pretty solid wrestler from the beginning. Davis couldn't take Gus down if I recall correctly. I think he hit one TD and Gus popped right back up.

Phil loads up on every shot and still seems to lack power

Haha this. I think he just lacks confidence in these fights. Like he wants to hit the guy, but he's to uncomfortable with getting hit for him to really vomit to his shots. Thus his opponents have no respect for his striking, which makes his striking ineffective.

What you mean? He has fantastic head kicks....lol

It's easier to improve in grappling. It's almost all technical.

Striking involves speed and power, which you gotta have.
And no matter how technical you are, a little false step or move the wrong way, and it can cost dearly.

IMO, grappling analysis is worth it's weight in gold.
Striking "analysis" is less trustworthy, often involves millimeters out of human control, missed opps vs fulfilled ops also out of human control, and one huge errant strike can mean everything.
No matter how many times a guy like Jeremy Stephens, for example, rolls with Marcelo Garcia, Jeremy is going to get owned every single time.
But it is easily possible for a strong, fast, heavy handed guy like Stephens, to possibly land a crushing blow on a far more technical striker at FW or even LW.

steel sharpens steel.

Not sure where you've got that picture of me. Care to quote something?

Almost everything you post is negative about Rumble. Just because everybody doesn't nuthug Gus seems to get you all bunched up. And yes you should be banned.

I think people overplay the "Their powers should combine!" aspect of training partners too often. If it was as true as people say, Jake Shields would be able to box like the Diaz brothers and the Diaz brothers would be able to wrestle like Shields, and Askren and Pettis would be unstoppable forces from hell.

Every fighter is different, coaches make a huge difference, what makes a good fighter is different from a good sparring partner, et cetera.

TL;DR answer -- Gus got taken down by an NCAA champ very early in his MMA career and got labeled a "weak" grappler, when he shouldn't have been, and is just all-around more talented than Phil is.

We dont know that Gus is all around better. His striking is better, but is his submission defense better.Could he stop Phil from taking him down in a 3 round fight. How bout a 5 round fight.

Back