Gus: Don't worry about my Takedown-D vs DC

I love how Jones fans are so salty they ruin the meat of any convo Gus is in. Saltier than Lutfisk, yall.

Meat?

The thread was mostly arguments over Gus' ranking and how he does/doesn't deserve the title shot before the usual rehash of Jones/Gus scoring.

Buulshit. He went from classy the night if the fight to saying he won. Over and over. Arguing this illustrates you lack objectivity. Or intelligence. Either way, I liked Gus, but his attitude like he is the most deserving guy at LHW is laughable. His second best win is over Manuwa Ffs. Almost beating Jones is nice. Had Gus went out and wrecked a couple top ten guys, then great. But he did not. He reluctantly fought jimmi and the whined for a title shot. And the got knocked silly by Rumble.

I do hope Gus beats DC only so I can see Rumble destroy Gus, again.

Gustafsson was far and away the most deserving challenger to Jones right after that fight. Look, why did Shogun get an immediate rematch against Machida, after a razor sharp close first fight? Why the hell is Cain getting a rematch when he wasn't close to beating Werdum?

What is ridiculous is the Jones fans not accepting that this fight could easily have been decided in Gus's favor, and he could have won it.

There should have been a rematch plain and simple, furthermore other fighters have gotten less deserving rematches in the past.

Gus had as much right to whine as anyone. We have Stipe Miocic whining and his fight wasn't as close as the Jones vs Gus fight, and he wasn't even fighting the champion, and he want a title shot after one more win. I'm not going to complain about the fact Stipe feels he deserves a shot,

Gus was as deserving of a rematch as anyone I can think of

The fact he still got a title shot is a testament to his ability against Jones, that no other fighter has ever shown.

Last edited:
Dc is going to rag doll Gus

I agree that stylistically Cormier has the edge. The question is whether Gustafsson can avoid being rag dolled like Jones did and just weather the takedowns when they come.
Cormiers supreme level wrestling is always a concern to anyone. This is the same guy who outwrestled Dan Henderson.

Im just glad hes facing another top 10 fighter

Dude never fights. This fight with DC shouldve happened at the same time as jones vs glover but they were ducking each other to both have a shot at jon

Jon pls come back, im barely holding on

The division would still be shit even if Jones was still fighting. :icon_neut

If that's not an appropriate time for a dude to cry then what is? Is crying out of happiness the only kind of crying that is okay with you? Crying is a natural release of emotion and only insecure men think otherwise.

You're right. Every fighter cries in the ring after losing. Even the women start crying in the ring.

Just when I thought sherdog couldn't be more retarded.

You're right. Every fighter cries in the ring after losing. Even the women start crying in the ring.

Just when I thought sherdog couldn't be more retarded.

Haha, not every fight means the same thing for every fighter. Do you seriously over-generalize this much in real life just so you can support your own insecure opinions?

Yeah, I'm the retarded one. Lol.

I hope Gus beats DC. I don't really like DC all that much, idk why.

Pls Gus, beat that ass and get a fight against jones!

I love how Jones fans are so salty they ruin the meat of any convo Gus is in. Saltier than Lutfisk, yall.

Gus is that thorn they can't get out of their side. They can laugh at the rumble fight but they know what gus has for Jones.

He has a win over Shogun, arguably Jones most important career win.
the shogun that JBJ fought: champion, coming off a first round KO victory against machida, 3-1 in last 4 fights avenging the only loss, that 1 loss being highly controversial and often considered as one of the biggest robberies in MMA history
the shogun that gus fought: not champion, old, irrelevant, went on to go 1-3 in his next four fights,
getting KO/TKO/submitted by chael, hendo, and OSP

JBJ destroyed, dethroned and humiliated shogun, forcing him to collapse in the 3rd round, becoming the youngest UFC champion in history and the first person to ever stop shogun with punches/knees

gus gets a lackluster decision victory

Also he has the most impressive draw in the history of the LHW divisino AGAINST JONES,
it was not a draw, JBJ won
regardless, "most impressive draw" is weak and not something anyone who wants to be the best should brag or be proud about

yeah thats right, all the Jones fans pretend like Gus isn't elite enough for a rematch?
hey how about gus wins a fight

Please, get over it, also look at damage done in a fight. Gus easily did more damage to Jones in that fight than the other way around. The rematch should have happened, it never did and that is unfair to Gus.

"Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the ring/fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense."
UFC rules and regulations

even if your claim was true, it would still be irrelevant
losing a close but decisive fight to a champion in a stacked division does not warrant a rematch

I'm no Jones hater, but it's plain enough to anyone with fair judgement that Gustafsson deserves as much respect as an elite LHW as anyone active in the division right now.
gus will get the respect of an elite LHW fighter when(if) he becomes an elite LHW fighter

He lost a fight against Rumble. I don't need to make excuses, I don't think it was a fight that meant near as much to Gus as it did to Rumble though.
he got knocked out in the first round and embarrassed himself
if gus won he 100% would have gotten a title shot which is what he had been whining about on social media for the past 2 years, it was the main event of a card held in sweden, his home country where he got to fight in front of thousands of people cheering for him and the media attention for this bout was the biggest there has ever been in sweden
did you already forget gus started bawling his eyes out after getting knocked out?

youre crazy if you think it meant more to rumble

If Gus beats Cormier, their should be no one who thinks anything other than that Gustafsson is the absolute true LHW champion. Again based on the DRAW he had against Jones.
if gus beats cormier he will have attained his first semi-legit win (JBJ already tooled DC)

Last edited:
Training for 6-7 days a week is probably a bad idea. I hope Gus does not get injured.

Gus has he best Tdd at LHW, he faced 3 great wrestlers in Davis, Jones and Hammil and they all had major problems trying to take him down. It will be no different with Cormier and Gus will pretty much defend everything. Cormier struggles to take guys down that have solid tdd and defensive wrestling.

This is going to be a stand up fight.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. He was giving Davis fits up until the sub. Jones couldn't do much of anything to him wrestling wise, even when he was gassed and rocked. DC is certainly a different wrestler than either of those and won't want test out/fall back on his striking like JBJ did, but it will be tough for any wrestler to take down and set a pace against Gustafsson. If DC can't do that, I think he's in for a hellish night. I wouldn't rule out his ability to do so, but I don't think it's a cake walk people think it will be.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. He was giving Davis fits up until the sub. Jones couldn't do much of anything to him wrestling wise, even when he was gassed and rocked. DC is certainly a different wrestler than either of those and won't want test out/fall back on his striking like JBJ did, but it will be tough for any wrestler to take down and set a pace against Gustafsson. If DC can't do that, I think he's in for a hellish night. I wouldn't rule out his ability to do so, but I don't think it's a cake walk people think it will be.

It wont be a cake walk, it will be a very tough fight for DC. The reason why Gustaffson is so hard to take down is because of his constant motion and footwork, he's hard to shoot on and even harder to get a hold off because of this and his reach. A lot of the time the take down is shut down before it even comes.

Cormier, although a great wrestler does rely on clinching and getting a hold of his opponent to take them down. You either see him go for a single and hold it and then follow through with a toss or trip OR he will clinch and toss his opponent from there. Either way, its going to be very hard for him to do this vs a fighter that is very light on his feet and always moving.

We'll see a stand up fight, from there it gets interesting. Although Gus is the better striker, Cormier is a good boxer himself and we do have to consider the threat of the take down.

It wont be a cake walk, it will be a very tough fight for DC. The reason why Gustaffson is so hard to take down is because of his constant motion and footwork, he's hard to shoot on and even harder to get a hold off because of this and his reach. A lot of the time the take down is shut down before it even comes.

Cormier, although a great wrestler does rely on clinching and getting a hold of his opponent to take them down. You either see him go for a single and hold it and then follow through with a toss or trip OR he will clinch and toss his opponent from there. Either way, its going to be very hard for him to do this vs a fighter that is very light on his feet and always moving.

We'll see a stand up fight, from there it gets interesting. Although Gus is the better striker, Cormier is a good boxer himself and we do have to consider the threat of the take down.

This. Everyone's acting like DC automatically gets the TD. I'm not so sure it's that easy. Like you said Gus has that constant movement and that always makes it harder to take a guy down.

the shogun that JBJ fought: champion, coming off a first round KO victory against machida, 3-1 in last 4 fights avenging the only loss, that 1 loss being highly controversial and often considered as one of the biggest robberies in MMA history

Shogun was coming off a knee injury/surgery and had almost a year off from competition when he faced Jones.

the shogun that gus fought: not champion, old, irrelevant,

Wrong. Shogun wasnt irrelevant when he faced Gustafsson, he was ranked top4 at the time of the fight.

losing a close but decisive fight to a champion in a stacked division does not warrant a rematch

Wrong again. The division wasnt stacked at the time. Glover was the only option for the next challenger. The majority of the fans along with UFC would have wanted an immediate rematch. Jones and his fans were only ones against it.

gus will get the respect of an elite LHW fighter when(if) he becomes an elite LHW fighter

Again wrong. Gus has been top3 ranked LHW for a long time now, which means he is an elite fighter of the division.

he got knocked out in the first round and embarrassed himself

Wrong. There is nothing embarrasing about losing a fight. Basically in every fight the other fighter has to lose.

if gus won he 100% would have gotten a title shot which is what he had been whining about on social media for the past 2 years,

Wrong. It has not even been 2 years since Jones vs Gus.

if gus beats cormier he will have attained his first semi-legit win (JBJ already tooled DC)

You are only cementing yourself as a biased hater incapable for an objective view by calling Cormier a "semi-legit win", if its Gustafsson who beats him. Not that it wasnt clear anyway.

Have a nice day.

Gus should. DC will grind Gus and RNC at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back