Gus did not look good against Manuwa

Gus looked good against a guy he was supposed to look good against.

I like Manuwa, he's an exciting fighter to watch most of the time, but he's been grossly overrated in this thread.

He beat the shit out of Kingsbury (who hasn't?) and then had underwhelming performances against Jimmo and Diabate. Both Jimmo and Diabate were injured and couldn't continue, he didn't knock these guys out in brutal fashion.

Think about it for a second, a guy whose best win was Jimmo fought against the #2 in Gustafsson.

It was a gimmie for Gus, plain and simple. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just delusional.

Expect him to use a similar gameplan against Rumble. Gus will take the safest route to victory, he is not stupid.

I like Manuwa, he's an exciting fighter to watch most of the time, but he's been grossly overrated in this thread.

He beat the shit out of Kingsbury (who hasn't?) and then had underwhelming performances against Jimmo and Diabate. Both Jimmo and Diabate were injured and couldn't continue, he didn't knock these guys out in brutal fashion.

Think about it for a second, a guy whose best win was Jimmo fought against the #2 in Gustafsson.

It was a gimmie for Gus, plain and simple. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just delusional.
I think you are putting to much stock into who he have beaten. There is a lot of good fighters without good wins, infact Gustafssons best win are Shogun. And Cormier best win at LHW are a anceint undersized Hendo of TRT.

Last edited:
So dominating in the first and finishing in the second = not looking good ?

well done, sherdog

No one is good unless they are flawless around here. First round: Manuwa got a two piece combo and a pair of leg kicks. Then spent 3 minutes on his back, got up and landed a decent knee. Gus landed kick for kick and answered every combination with one of his own. Second round Gus started checking leg kicks and didn't get hit flush again except for a right hand right before finishing Manuwa.

Gus took out an undefeated finisher with standing strikes and took veeery little damage. Color me impressed.

I think you underestimate the challenge Manuwa presented

And what we saw was Gus taking his opponent seriously, respecting his strengths, but still dominating him in every aspect

I thought it was a good performance by Gus

According to Sherdog, the only good performances ever are Anderson vs. Forrest, Shogun in the PRIDE GP, and Hendo vs. Bisping.

Hendo was getting tagged a bit by Bisping to be considered a good performance.

But seriously, I saw nothing wrong with that performance, and considering the level of striker he was facing I thought his striking defense looked exceptional if anything. Beautiful combo to end the fight after some GnP in the first. He's a great fighter. I think Rumble might be in over his head.

What's wrong with people? "Didn't look good"... he finished an undefeated fighter (standing, by the way) like a minute into the second round after he took said undefeated fighter down and held him there for the bulk of the first round. As far as "getting tagged a lot," he took a couple of decent shots to the head and a couple of leg kicks, but nothing that was even close to knocking him down or out and, again, in the second round he stood with and knocked out the guy TS is claiming Gustafsson was trying to "avoid standing" with. The "logic," if it can be called that, around here is just completely mind-boggling sometimes.

I think he looked good. He beat the shit out of him.

He'll look good in beating Rumble as well.

Then he'll bust up Jones again if he's out of rehab :D

Weird, I thought he did pretty good. Then and now

In what world does KO'ing someone who is undefeated and a top prospect not impressive?

After rewatching, I think he did better than I had remembered.

Manuwa is low level competition and everybody knows that. That fight was a gimme fight for Gus as nobody thought Manuwa would win that. The resume of Gus is very lame and contains no big wins.

No more gimme easy fights for ole Gus. Rumble is gonna Rumble.

This and only this.

Back