Gunshot Locators...for or against?

Ghost Dog on Sherdog.

mother of dog

For it big time... All this hot air about turning into a police state is absurd. I'm not sure exactly how this would embolden "the state" to trap and infringe upon citizens rights. Seems to me this is intended on helping police catch people that ARE infringing on citizens rights to live safely and stay alive.

I see no privacy rights being violated. If your gunshot can be heard on the street, it isn't private, is it?

As others have said, even if a shooter isn't caught a victim's life might be saved.

Also, if somebody is shooting tin cans at the park he might not leave after the first shot and this system might get the police out to tell him it is illegal and unsafe, if in fact it is.

As for "it is only necessary in the worst neighborhoods", can't bad people come into good neighborhhoods? Don't jealous lovers/crazy people ever shoot each other in good neighborhoods?

Don't know if it's cost effective or not, however.

Considering when you go out into a CBD you are getting filmed atleast 50 different times by CCTVs, I dont see how this is worse.

For it big time... All this hot air about turning into a police state is absurd. I'm not sure exactly how this would embolden "the state" to trap and infringe upon citizens rights. Seems to me this is intended on helping police catch people that ARE infringing on citizens rights to live safely and stay alive.

I think the issue is having streets filled with cameras and sensors.

I believe cameras have been been ruled as constitutional in public places such as streets.

I'm guessing you were born in 1968. Can you remember a time when there were zero cameras and sensors in public streets? I sure can. The scare back then was "big brother", and any mention of cameras in the streets was met with huge backlash from the public. Now you look around, and every other block has a camera taking pictures of licence plates. It makes me sick every time I drive around my area. The public has gotten complacent, and the younger generation thinks cameras in the streets is normal. This trend needs to be reversed imo.

I'm guessing you were born in 1968. Can you remember a time when there were zero cameras and sensors in public streets? I sure can. The scare back then was "big brother", and any mention of cameras in the streets was met with huge backlash from the public. Now you look around, and every other block has a camera taking pictures of licence plates. It makes me sick every time I drive around my area. The public has gotten complacent, and the younger generation thinks cameras in the streets is normal. This trend needs to be reversed imo.

I remember a scarcity of public cameras, but not a backlash against them. Nothing you do in the street is private. I don't see the problem.

I'm against as we're becoming a police state but at the same time, hypocritically, I'm for it in areas such as Detroit. But, I'm afraid if we justify it for areas such as Detroit they'll justify it everywhere else.

I'm against as we're becoming a police state but at the same time, hypocritically, I'm for it in areas such as Detroit. But, I'm afraid if we justify it for areas such as Detroit they'll justify it everywhere else.

This is not just for tx, but anyone who feels this is a violation of some right or on the way to becoming a police state.

What aspect about the gunshot locators are offensive to you? Gunshots go off, police are going to get calls. How many calls tells us if it is a real shooting or not. With these tools and a camera, in a public location-the camera can locate possible suspects or witnesses to shootings. By the time the phone call goes through dispatch-who then has to log the call and send units to respond-the suspects are usually gone. And if you have a camera in the location-by the time the calls come in, the operator(often me on midnights) scrolls the camera into position and everyone is gone.

They are just a tool. I would argue they are not cost effective before I would try and argue they are some infringement.

From what I understand, they use this in Camden NJ. Though it's still one of the most violent cities, crime has dropped significantly in recent years. I'm not saying the shot spotter has anything to do with it, but whatever the police are doing, it's working.

Back