Gunni vs Maia please

Burundanga

The Intellectual
@Green
Reaction score
This would be a great matchup of two of the best ground fighters at 170...

I'd take Maia in this one.

Would be fun.... k1 maia vs karate gunni

I'd give Maia the power advantage standing, but Gunnar the speed and technique. Nelson looks like he gets tired having to grapple some of his larger opponents sometimes, and Maia is big WW; so I'm intrigued how round two would look. Maia usually comes out strong in round one, gets his TD and can work his BJJ, but tends to fade later - I wonder if he'd take equal parts out of Nelson making him defend and carry his weight?

tough fight for gunni,

Story gave him all he could handle

I SO want this fight. It has to happen, its the ground war we need to see...assuming it doesn't turn into Maia vs Weedman.

Please no. Maia gains nothing from fighting the #11 after he wrecked the #13. He deserves a top 5 guy.

Also Gunnar Gunni doesn't need to be derailed that soon. Let him fight Magny or Gastelum.

I'm so torn in this fight. I love Gunnar but I don't think he wins in any way.

To me it is the rare fight that is interesting for the correct reasons. Two guys, trying to ascend the ladder, no BS trash talk, and no false hype.

This fight is as close to real sport as you will see.

To me it is the rare fight that is interesting for the correct reasons. Two guys, trying to ascend the ladder, no BS trash talk, and no false hype.

This fight is as close to real sport as you will see.

We've seen these fights before where two ace grapplers showcase D-level kickboxing instead. Besides which, Maia is in search of a title shot. Beating #11 Gunnar Gunni doesn't (not if it's the sport you claim you want) get him any closer.

MMA math doesn't work that way.

It's not about the math, it's the skillset. Story wrestlef*cked Gunnar Gunni. Maia has the wrestling/grappling to do the same to Gunnar Gunni. It has nothing to do with the fact that he also wrecked Story.

As good as Nelson is grappling, he isn't on the level of Maia. No one really is.

As good as Nelson is grappling, he isn't on the level of Maia. No one really is.

That's what I would tend to believe as well. I think the size and technique of Maia is too much for Nelson. I don't know how the standup would go though.

Maia vs Shields and Weidman pretty much sucked but I guess they could give this is go

We've seen these fights before where two ace grapplers showcase D-level kickboxing instead. Besides which, Maia is in search of a title shot. Beating #11 Gunnar Gunni doesn't (not if it's the sport you claim you want) get him any closer.

Would watch, but yeah, quite often when two high level grapplers face off, we end up getting treated to a subpar kickboxing match. But, Gunnar did drop Thatch, so maybe his kickboxing has improved greatly. Definitely a prospect to watch.

Maia vs Shields and Weidman pretty much sucked but I guess they could give this is go

Most Shields fights pretty much suck, so no surprise there. Luckily for Maia, he fought Weidman when Weidman stepped in on very late notice to take the fight and had virtually zero gas tank.

Back