Gunnar Nelson

i can see him challenging for the title in another year or two. i'd like to see how he'd do against a maia or a fitch.

It might be wise for him to drop down a weight class.

Good thread.

His grappling looked phenomenal against an out-of-shape, late-notice Damarques Johnson. It'd be good to see him up against a slightly tougher guy next..

Here you go:
Nelson-vs-Monson2.jpg

How about tapping in shape, heavyweight Monson in competition?

I have seen 3 of his fights, he finished all of them, I looked at his record, all finish and 1 draw, so he does finish fights which is great. He looked so calm in his first UFC fight, so a good sign. Let me see him vs a bigger name, then if he goes through him like he did his last fight, I would say then he will be fighting for a belt early 2014.

Here you go:
Nelson-vs-Monson2.jpg

How about tapping in shape, heavyweight Monson in competition?

I heard about this match but can't find a video , the fact he out grappled monson is very impressive

you know who his next fight is against? He isn't winning his next fight.

Why are you acting like Justin Edwards is some kind of wrecking ball? He got dominated on the ground by John Maguire, a person who Gunnar would absolutely tool on the ground, and he lost on one of the weakest seasons of TUF ever.

Why are you acting like Justin Edwards is some kind of wrecking ball? He got dominated on the ground by John Maguire, a person who Gunnar would absolutely tool on the ground, and he lost on one of the weakest seasons of TUF ever.

wildawg is in love with if you didn't know

I think people are seriously underestimating Edwards.
For those of you talking about the ground game, you do know that Edwards trains at JGMMA don't you. He was also a wrestler coming out of Ohio, it's Edwards skills that are on another level.

lol

also Gunnar has videos of his match against Monson on his website

http://www.nelson.is/media.html

hows gunnars hands somebody? i think he threw 2 or 3 nice kicks from his karate stance against demarques then went for the td.

I think he has a bright future.

He has the best kind of mindset IMO, its that fedor kind of mindset. Just pure fighting warrior type of mind where they perform their best because they are not controlled by fear itself. They live in the moment, in a zen type of way, and just react from their instinct instead of thought so things just flow faster.

However, that 170 division is just becoming so stacked. Rory, Hendricks and others are growing so fast. We will see in time who the best prospect is. I am wondering when Gunnar fights next?...I have been googling it....ok,nevermind... just found it...he fights Justin Edwards with an 8 - 2 record....i like how the UFC tries to build their fighters

This

Back